What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gaud no not Toupou again ... NOOOOO.

The question isn't Toops quality or effort, he's class and he put in big time in some crappy teams.. the question is over value for money due to injuries and now preferring to have his salary cap money available for an outside back.

Sure we need a quality three-quarter more than we need another back-rower, but that's the deal we did to get him and in any case you can't blame Topou who for getting injured or exercising his contract option.

He's worked out to get fit again and an in-form Tupou has to be in our first 17 players.

Card Shark

Immortal
Even when fit, Tupou has not produced anywhere near the form he had at the Roosters over 4 years.

Can't see it changing in his 5th sadly.

GreatWhiteShark

Juniors
Toops is a match-winner for us. We need him. Sure, he's been below his best on occasion the past couple of seasons, but he's had good reason as you all would know. Give the man a break and see how he goes once he recovers.
We're paying overs, yes, but no point releasing him or trying to shop him around if we don't have a better replacement to fill his shoes.
We are definitely going to be a greater threat when he returns from his knee injury in a couple of months' time - he's arguably our best ball-playing forwards, and one of the best offloaders in the comp.

GreatWhiteShark you need a nickname
GWS=a little too poofball related
Jaws=a little too generic

I will call you Greg.

Toops is better than all the players we have on the bench, yes I think he is getting payed more than what he is worth now, he wasn't when he joined. He's with us for next season so it's done, lets get on with it.

GreatWhiteShark

Juniors
GreatWhiteShark you need a nickname
GWS=a little too poofball related
Jaws=a little too generic

I will call you Greg.

That'll do!

And totally agree. We can't made a dint in the back-end of the competition this year without Toops firing. It's good to have him stitched up for next season IMO.

Love youse all,
Greg

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Toops is a match-winner for us. We need him. Sure, he's been below his best on occasion the past couple of seasons, but he's had good reason as you all would know. Give the man a break and see how he goes once he recovers.
We're paying overs, yes, but no point releasing him or trying to shop him around if we don't have a better replacement to fill his shoes.
We are definitely going to be a greater threat when he returns from his knee injury in a couple of months' time - he's arguably our best ball-playing forwards, and one of the best offloaders in the comp.

Way too much common sense in that post. Not sure if you will be welcomed here.

Like I've said. He can still be a good contributor at the club.

09 no one was good. He was one of our better players.
His sister died. That's gunna effect your play.
He's been injured throughout.

If he can stay fit in a team where that's going better he can find his good form again. He could be a key player coming back later in the year.

He scored match wining try against st George lat year. Sure it was half time but it was huge for the club.

Toops is a match winner for us?

He's been below his best on occasion?

Really?

Too funny!

Card Shark

Immortal
Tupou came to our club in 2009 as a dynamic wide running backrower.

Despite some excuses, he has never produced that consistently for us - nor will he next year.

Anyway, we have him so I hope he can contribute. Maybe in a winning team he can.

roboshark

Coach
If he doesn't turn his form around with carney in the team the maybe I will believe he is past it but I still ache for the toops we saw running at the chooks

spider

Coach
What player doesn't exercise the plus one optin at his rate

Stupid to think he wouldn't - simple business.

Quigs

Immortal
He'll be right. I just think his game has changed because of the style of sh!t we served up for the past couple.

He went from a great gap runner to a bash-barge through IMO. He needs to get some free air and cause havoc.

I'm not overly worried about toops.

Madsharkie

First Grade
Here's my 2 cents worth...

Toops has not delivered value, based on what we've paid him. Albeit he has good ‘excuses’. Reminds me of a quote... "Unsuccessful people have one thing in common - excuses".

Now I'm not saying that Toops is the one using these excuses, however there are a number of posters in here that seem to justify (to themselves?) his lack of delivering value on a number of these ‘excuses’. I don’t have the same opinion as them. All players face adversity and challenges. The true champions stand up each week regardless.

We as a team have obviously been shyte for the last few years with very few standout players (probably only the great Gal). So Toops is definitely not alone in his sub-par performances, in an underperforming team.

If Toops has any hope of returning to his best form, like he had at the chooks (and why we bought him), it is going to be with the team we have now and are building on for 2013. No more excuses and justifying for underperformance. That is not what successful clubs do.

It sounds like it’s a done deal that Toops will be with us next season. So while I believe he hasn’t delivered in the past (based on what he’s been paid), if he’s going to run out in our colours I’ll support him as a member of the mighty Sharks, and just hope that he re-discovers the form we know he is capable of…

Agree with me, disagree with me, doesn't really matter. It'll be up to Toops and the team whether he finally delivers the value we know he should (and has the ability to) provide.