What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I don't normally do this but...I am beginning to doubt you have a [well functioning] brain.

He beats middle forwards with late footwork....not edge forwards/centres. He is doing it at NRL level, which is a good step below SOO. He just doesn't have the power to be an elite edge forward.

He is a great mobile middle forward but he is not better than Jake and not as flexible as Murray.

He has always been a great defender. I am a fan of Yeo, and love his current form. I am just not delusional, irrational and one eyed as Jane is.

Why do you keep comparing him to Edge back rowers? He hasn’t played on the edge this season.

He is going a lot better than both Murray and Jake. You can call me one eyed and delusional if you like, but that’s just the way it is.

franklin2323

Immortal
Why do you keep comparing him to Edge back rowers? He hasn’t played on the edge this season.

He is going a lot better than both Murray and Jake. You can call me one eyed and delusional if you like, but that’s just the way it is.

Jake plays prop in SOO though. Murray plays lock, edge, Hooker etc. So versatility is against Yeo

The Realist

Juniors

Jane and a few others seem to think he should make the team as an edge. In my mind he can only make it as a Lock or versatile bench player.

The NRL is littered with players who have a freakish year then recede back into the pack. In 2018 Luke Brooks was Dally M halfback of the year. Jake is proven quality even if his form is a little down in a team that isn't travelling well. I am not saying Yeo won't get there, but he hasn't proven it over a long enough a period yet.

If you poll serious RL fans, and probably the best analysts as to who the best lock forwards are you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who'd consider Yeo Top 2 (Above Jake or Taumalolo)

Jane Murray

Bench
Jane and a few others seem to think he should make the team as an edge. In my mind he can only make it as a Lock or versatile bench player.

The NRL is littered with players who have a freakish year then recede back into the pack. In 2018 Luke Brooks was Dally M halfback of the year. Jake is proven quality even if his form is a little down in a team that isn't travelling well. I am not saying Yeo won't get there, but he hasn't proven it over a long enough a period yet.

If you poll serious RL fans, and probably the best analysts as to who the best lock forwards are you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who'd consider Yeo Top 2 (Above Jake or Taumalolo)
The Realist, you do not know what I am thinking. Bench is where he should be.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

This season, Yeo has been better than Jake and Cam. He’s been second to JT.

You’re right, Jake and Cam are proven performers which is why they will keep their spots in Blues.

But, Yeo is absolutely capable of playing SOO at lock. Which is what this discussion has always been about.

Will he be picked this year - Nope
Is he in contention - very much so.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Running at tired players, etc. Also, I do not see Jake T, I can not spell his surname, Cordner, or Fitzell, losing their spots.

He’s not competing against The edge back rowers, he doesn’t make our team on the Edge, T-May has been picked ahead of him.

He’s certainly not who you pick as an impact player off the bench, there are much better options for that role.

He either beats Jake Turbo for the starting 13 spot or not at all. He’s certainly playing well enough, consistency over a long period is all he has against him.

Jane Murray

Bench
He’s not competing against The edge back rowers, he doesn’t make our team on the Edge, T-May has been picked ahead of him.

He’s certainly not who you pick as an impact player off the bench, there are much better options for that role.

He either beats Jake Turbo for the starting 13 spot or not at all. He’s certainly playing well enough, consistency over a long period is all he has against him.
I agree with you, Issah will not be picked unfortunately.

The_Frog

First Grade
Will he be picked this year - Nope
Is he in contention - very much so.
I'm sure he'll make the 27 man squad. Whether he gets on the field depends on form from now on, how far we go and whether Fittler sticks to his previous mantra of picking on effort not reputation. Freddy will remember that we only won last year by the skin of our teeth after a couple of poor defensive efforts by entrenched forwards almost handed the series to Queensland.

Kilkenny

Coach
I don’t care much for what anyone else says Isaah Yeo is as good a player as Jake T. Week in week out he delivers much the same if not more in my opinion. Given Manly can’t make the top 8 there is no reason in my opinion why Yeo would not be a good fit for origin in front of Jake T.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I don’t care much for what anyone else says Isaah Yeo is as good a player as Jake T. Week in week out he delivers much the same if not more in my opinion. Given Manly can’t make the top 8 there is no reason in my opinion why Yeo would not be a good fit for origin in front of Jake T.

I agree mate, 100%, I just don’t think Freddy will change the team.

Original Name

Juniors
People don't notice the kind of stuff Yeo does that leads directly to points so I'll point it out for you all.

Yeo passes early enough so Cleary has time to pass and that sets up a try at 2:43.

Instead of digging into the line like most ball playing forwards would he can sense there's space and gives it to Cleary straight away and that gives Laui the time he needs to make an easy pass. Because Kikau's one on one with the HB and is not inside the line Kikau's running (making impossible for him to slide accross in time if he holds his line) Manu comes in on Kikau and that frees up Mansour to set up Crichton at 3:11.

1:56 Yeo ball plays as deep into the line as he can go. The moment Cleary gets the ball from Yeo Moses turns his shoulders infield and plants his feet. This creates the overlap.

A very large percentage of points this year scored by the 1st best attacking side in the comp have Yeo playing a pivotal part in it. We probably couldn't get a lot these kind of plays from JFH (who has a very useful short pass on him) or Tamou. You have to have more than the ability to pass. You have to understand space, you have to pass flat and consistently out in front but to far or too high.

Last edited:

Blues Riff

Bench
OT- I just noticed the date. Nineteen years now since a couple of planes turned a million tons of steel and concrete into fine powder. Shocking.
Unbelievable in fact.

Kilkenny

Coach
OT- I just noticed the date. Nineteen years now since a couple of planes turned a million tons of steel and concrete into fine powder. Shocking.
Unbelievable in fact.
Where’s the 19 years gone, I was a young 40 when that happened.

Very sad event.

Exsilium

First Grade

Jake T has been absolute trash this season.