What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Black Diamond

Juniors
Completely off the topic of footy...

My missus and I lost our baby this week which has hit me really hard. She was 6 months along and I had just seen her on an ultrasound. To say I'm in a bad head space at the moment is an understatement.

Anyway, the reason I post about this is, I find writing my feelings in an artistic way really helped, and I wanted to share a poem I wrote in the early hours of the morning the night she passed.

I'm not a poetic person by any means (I like writing my fiction more) so please don't judge my capability, I just really felt the urge to write down my thoughts and this is how they came out.

I'm sharing with you guys because, as sad as it sounds on an internet forum, most of you I class as friends.

In short, hug your kids, and cherish every moment you spend with them.

Although we never met you, or got to kiss your cheeks,

Your presence was undeniable for those swift and precious weeks,

You were a gift my darling girl, one that was not expected,

And I dreamed of what you’d become, a picture of perfection,

You could have been a dancer, or a writer with a dream,

You could have been an actor, great in every scene,

Whatever you were meant to be, I know that I’d be proud,

The proudest dad you’d ever see, I’d never let you down,

But it wasn’t meant to be my sweet, you weren’t ready for this world,

And it kills me to say goodbye before I met my baby girl,

But you’re free to fly now angel, so spread those wings and soar,

Mummy and daddy both love you, and will forever more.
So sorry for your loss, your poem is beautiful

The_Frog

First Grade
Yes another son 19 & a daughter 13. The latest edition wasn't planned.
Mine are 30 and 5. First marriage broke up when the older one was 18 months, 2nd marriage 3 years before younger one born (single 1993 to 2012). Married a girl nearing 40 who had no kids and wanted one. Two miscarriages, a surgical procedure (on her), fertility drugs, a third miscarriage (all at 8 weeks) and finally referred to IVF, she conceived first cycle. They put two in but only one made it.

She knew she had lost it every time as she didn't feel pregnant any more. She had the craziest cravings. I remember going around all the fruit shops looking for unripe mangoes.

soc123_au

Staff member
Mine are 30 and 5. First marriage broke up when the older one was 18 months, 2nd marriage 3 years before younger one born (single 1993 to 2012). Married a girl nearing 40 who had no kids and wanted one. Two miscarriages, a surgical procedure (on her), fertility drugs, a third miscarriage (all at 8 weeks) and finally referred to IVF, she conceived first cycle. They put two in but only one made it.

She knew she had lost it every time as she didn't feel pregnant any more. She had the craziest cravings. I remember going around all the fruit shops looking for unripe mangoes.

My eldest was the result of what should have stayed a one night stand. We ended up managing 3 years. The next 2 were with my wife (married in 98) The 19yo we had no dramas, but a few miscarriages after that, then went IVF. IVF is brutal, we were lucky & the daughter stuck on what we had decided was the last go. Became single again in 2015 & then filled the gf up just before last christmas. It was a big shock, it took me a while to come to terms with it, but it's all good now. She is only 30 so has the energy to do the baby thing. Got the snip now, so no more surprises.

Unripe mangos? Your Mrs isn't filipina by any chance?

Jane Murray

Bench
My eldest was the result of what should have stayed a one night stand. We ended up managing 3 years. The next 2 were with my wife (married in 98) The 19yo we had no dramas, but a few miscarriages after that, then went IVF. IVF is brutal, we were lucky & the daughter stuck on what we had decided was the last go. Became single again in 2015 & then filled the gf up just before last christmas. It was a big shock, it took me a while to come to terms with it, but it's all good now. She is only 30 so has the energy to do the baby thing. Got the snip now, so no more surprises.

You have a gift with the words. Lol.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
My eldest was the result of what should have stayed a one night stand. We ended up managing 3 years. The next 2 were with my wife (married in 98) The 19yo we had no dramas, but a few miscarriages after that, then went IVF. IVF is brutal, we were lucky & the daughter stuck on what we had decided was the last go. Became single again in 2015 & then filled the gf up just before last christmas. It was a big shock, it took me a while to come to terms with it, but it's all good now. She is only 30.... so has the energy to do the baby thing. Got the snip now, so no more surprises.

I've heard them (bloke stuff) referred to as 'swimmers' as a friend's hubby was finding out how things were going for IVF.......thought that was pretty good too.

Bob

Juniors
Another inciteful article from our favorite journo, I thought hi Panther bashing would stop when Gus left
Loved Matt Camerons response

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/f0945cf0b5697427c8dc7c09d05b39cb
What’s the Buzz: Panthers refuse to answer questions over Brent Naden positive drug test
What’s the Buzz has made a series of inquiries to key Panthers around the Brent Naden positive drug test only to be met with evasive responses.

Phil Rothfield
December 5, 2020 - 9:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
NRL: Panthers star Brent Naden is under the care of medical professionals after admitting himself into a rehabilitation clinic
Cagey Penrith officials are refusing to directly answer the hottest question in the NRL around the cocaine scandal that has engulfed the club.

What’s the Buzz has made a series of inquiries to key Panthers including CEO Brian Fletcher and coach Ivan Cleary around the Brent Naden positive drug test only to be met with vague and evasive responses.

No-one will give a definitive answer on whether they knew on the day of the grand final that Naden had been on a drug and alcohol bender the night before the game and breached biosecurity protocols while he was in the company of his brother.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

74633228a78a0dde57712b3550312b23

Brent Naden of the Panthers. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
There has been talk Naden’s flatmate, fellow player Billy Burns, first raised it with club officials out of concern for his welfare.

We started off by having a phone conversation with Fletcher to try to get to the bottom of it.

Buzz: When did Ivan Cleary first know there was a problem?

“I wouldn’t bet on it but I reckon the day after the grand final.”

Buzz: Are you sure he didn’t know the day of the game?

“No I’m not sure of that, but I’d bet on it that he didn’t.”

Buzz: So you’re convinced Ivan didn’t know about it on game day?

“Mate, I’m not answering that again.”

Buzz: I just want to be sure.

“I’m telling you the truth. Don’t ask me again. Brent gave himself up and we told the NRL.”

3ae20ff2fae455ab9b89b32e4bca4c61

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary refuses to answer questions regarding Brent Naden. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images
So we then contacted Cleary to clear this up. He wouldn’t take our call but later responded to this text message:

Buzz: “Ivan, it’s Phil Rothfield. I’m told you were made aware of Brent Naden’s problem on grand final day. Could you please confirm this is the case. Thank you.”

He replied: “I’m not going to make any comment on the Brent Naden issue. Thanks.”

So we had another crack and tried football GM Matt Cameron. Same story, wouldn’t pick up the phone or answer questions via text.

Buzz: “I’m doing a Brent Naden story and checking when you found out he’d had a bender the night before the game. I have information you knew on the day of the GF. Is this correct and were you contacted by his flatmate Billy Burns. Thanks.”

Cameron: “I believe you were given a response to this question by Brian (Fletcher) earlier today.”

Buzz: “No, not a clear response. He said he wasn’t sure. It’s a simple question. Were you aware on game day there had been drama the night before?”

There was no response.

Chairman Dave O’Neill also declined to comment.

These are questions the NRL Integrity Unit will want answered.

1453ac88824f8a3e588499c09cb04c67

Penrith Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher will not confirm the point at which Ivan Cleary became aware of Brent Naden’s problems. Picture: AAP Image/Joel Carrett
To date, all we’ve been able to extract is this unattributed statement from the Panthers last Tuesday.

“As previously reported, Brent approached the club following the 2020 NRL grand final to seek help with a number of personal issues. At that time he admitted to the use of a recreational drug,” the statement read.

There will be serious repercussions if it is found the club knew about it before the game.

On the day of the game, The Daily Telegraph published a story online midafternoon that Naden had been dropped from the 17-man squad. The source has an impeccable record.

Naden’s manager Allan Gainey then rang the club to complain about the decision and the troubled centre was later named to start.

He was one of five Panthers drug tested after the game and later returned a positive sample to cocaine.

On the Tuesday, Penrith informed the NRL Integrity Unit of Naden’s issues and that he had been booked into rehab. The club told The Daily Telegraph when we broke the story Naden was dealing with an alcohol problem, with no mention of cocaine use the night before the game.

“He put his hands up and we got him help,” Fletcher said.

“All I’m worried about at the moment is fixing the problem, not about how it happened.

“He’s on the recovery road and that’s what’s important.”

42319ffce4e52213911f811fa1267ebe

Brent Naden has had to put up with abuse from crowds since his day in the under-20s. Picture: Brett Costello
FAMILY SHAME HAS BEEN A BIG BURDEN

Penrith Panthers now believe Brent Naden’s issues are related to his notorious cousin Malcolm Naden — a double murderer and once Australia’s most wanted man.

Taunts from rival players and fans since he started out as a Panthers under-20s rookie may have contributed to the issues that landed him in a northern beaches rehab clinic after the grand final.

“We’re not making excuses for taking drugs,” CEO Brian Fletcher says.

“However a lot of this dates back to when he was in under-20s. They’d ask him ‘how’s your cousin going?’ It’s played on his mind for sure. He’s told us that”

Naden once admitted he used to take offence at people judging him because of his surname.

“My pop used to say ‘you can pick your friends but you can’t pick your relatives’,” he said.

“My parents knew him but I’ve never met him and they did their best to distance us (the family) from him. When I was younger, it affected me though.”

The club is standing by the powerful 24-year-old centre … and rightly so.

He is off contract at the end of the season.

“His goal is to come back next year and prove to the club that he wants to work on his problems,” Fletcher said.

“He’s off contract and we’ve got no reason not to keep him if he can show us he’s going to put in all the hard work.”

The Penrith Panthers’ grand final loss to Melbourne Storm has saved the NRL from a huge integrity issue.
With cocaine regarded as a performance-enhancing drug and the fact Naden had it in his system during the game, there would have been a massive debate if the Panthers had won.

Whether the club would have been stripped of the title is something we will never know.

Jane Murray

Bench
Another inciteful article from our favorite journo, I thought hi Panther bashing would stop when Gus left
Loved Matt Camerons response

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/f0945cf0b5697427c8dc7c09d05b39cb
What’s the Buzz: Panthers refuse to answer questions over Brent Naden positive drug test
What’s the Buzz has made a series of inquiries to key Panthers around the Brent Naden positive drug test only to be met with evasive responses.

Phil Rothfield
December 5, 2020 - 9:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
NRL: Panthers star Brent Naden is under the care of medical professionals after admitting himself into a rehabilitation clinic
Cagey Penrith officials are refusing to directly answer the hottest question in the NRL around the cocaine scandal that has engulfed the club.

What’s the Buzz has made a series of inquiries to key Panthers including CEO Brian Fletcher and coach Ivan Cleary around the Brent Naden positive drug test only to be met with vague and evasive responses.

No-one will give a definitive answer on whether they knew on the day of the grand final that Naden had been on a drug and alcohol bender the night before the game and breached biosecurity protocols while he was in the company of his brother.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

74633228a78a0dde57712b3550312b23

Brent Naden of the Panthers. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
There has been talk Naden’s flatmate, fellow player Billy Burns, first raised it with club officials out of concern for his welfare.

We started off by having a phone conversation with Fletcher to try to get to the bottom of it.

Buzz: When did Ivan Cleary first know there was a problem?

“I wouldn’t bet on it but I reckon the day after the grand final.”

Buzz: Are you sure he didn’t know the day of the game?

“No I’m not sure of that, but I’d bet on it that he didn’t.”

Buzz: So you’re convinced Ivan didn’t know about it on game day?

“Mate, I’m not answering that again.”

Buzz: I just want to be sure.

“I’m telling you the truth. Don’t ask me again. Brent gave himself up and we told the NRL.”

3ae20ff2fae455ab9b89b32e4bca4c61

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary refuses to answer questions regarding Brent Naden. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images
So we then contacted Cleary to clear this up. He wouldn’t take our call but later responded to this text message:

Buzz: “Ivan, it’s Phil Rothfield. I’m told you were made aware of Brent Naden’s problem on grand final day. Could you please confirm this is the case. Thank you.”

He replied: “I’m not going to make any comment on the Brent Naden issue. Thanks.”

So we had another crack and tried football GM Matt Cameron. Same story, wouldn’t pick up the phone or answer questions via text.

Buzz: “I’m doing a Brent Naden story and checking when you found out he’d had a bender the night before the game. I have information you knew on the day of the GF. Is this correct and were you contacted by his flatmate Billy Burns. Thanks.”

Cameron: “I believe you were given a response to this question by Brian (Fletcher) earlier today.”

Buzz: “No, not a clear response. He said he wasn’t sure. It’s a simple question. Were you aware on game day there had been drama the night before?”

There was no response.

Chairman Dave O’Neill also declined to comment.

These are questions the NRL Integrity Unit will want answered.

1453ac88824f8a3e588499c09cb04c67

Penrith Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher will not confirm the point at which Ivan Cleary became aware of Brent Naden’s problems. Picture: AAP Image/Joel Carrett
To date, all we’ve been able to extract is this unattributed statement from the Panthers last Tuesday.

“As previously reported, Brent approached the club following the 2020 NRL grand final to seek help with a number of personal issues. At that time he admitted to the use of a recreational drug,” the statement read.

There will be serious repercussions if it is found the club knew about it before the game.

On the day of the game, The Daily Telegraph published a story online midafternoon that Naden had been dropped from the 17-man squad. The source has an impeccable record.

Naden’s manager Allan Gainey then rang the club to complain about the decision and the troubled centre was later named to start.

He was one of five Panthers drug tested after the game and later returned a positive sample to cocaine.

On the Tuesday, Penrith informed the NRL Integrity Unit of Naden’s issues and that he had been booked into rehab. The club told The Daily Telegraph when we broke the story Naden was dealing with an alcohol problem, with no mention of cocaine use the night before the game.

“He put his hands up and we got him help,” Fletcher said.

“All I’m worried about at the moment is fixing the problem, not about how it happened.

“He’s on the recovery road and that’s what’s important.”

42319ffce4e52213911f811fa1267ebe

Brent Naden has had to put up with abuse from crowds since his day in the under-20s. Picture: Brett Costello
FAMILY SHAME HAS BEEN A BIG BURDEN

Penrith Panthers now believe Brent Naden’s issues are related to his notorious cousin Malcolm Naden — a double murderer and once Australia’s most wanted man.

Taunts from rival players and fans since he started out as a Panthers under-20s rookie may have contributed to the issues that landed him in a northern beaches rehab clinic after the grand final.

“We’re not making excuses for taking drugs,” CEO Brian Fletcher says.

“However a lot of this dates back to when he was in under-20s. They’d ask him ‘how’s your cousin going?’ It’s played on his mind for sure. He’s told us that”

Naden once admitted he used to take offence at people judging him because of his surname.

“My pop used to say ‘you can pick your friends but you can’t pick your relatives’,” he said.

“My parents knew him but I’ve never met him and they did their best to distance us (the family) from him. When I was younger, it affected me though.”

The club is standing by the powerful 24-year-old centre … and rightly so.

He is off contract at the end of the season.

“His goal is to come back next year and prove to the club that he wants to work on his problems,” Fletcher said.

“He’s off contract and we’ve got no reason not to keep him if he can show us he’s going to put in all the hard work.”

The Penrith Panthers’ grand final loss to Melbourne Storm has saved the NRL from a huge integrity issue.
With cocaine regarded as a performance-enhancing drug and the fact Naden had it in his system during the game, there would have been a massive debate if the Panthers had won.

Whether the club would have been stripped of the title is something we will never know.
Bronson Xerri, and Michael Jennings, have not received this much attention. Buzz should buzz off.

Hooked

Juniors
Typically Rothfield always looking to dig up shit. Whether it is there or not.
Ignores other stories when it doesn't suit his agenda.

The_Frog

First Grade
From the club's statement of 1 Dec.

“In accordance with the World Anti-Doping Code, the club, Brent, his family and manager can make no further comment at this time.”

Rothfield should respect the club's position.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
From the club's statement of 1 Dec.

“In accordance with the World Anti-Doping Code, the club, Brent, his family and manager can make no further comment at this time.”

Rothfield should respect the club's position.

Another article tonight. Buzz is on a roll. LOL

Latest posts