What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

WestyLife

First Grade
We don't know that do we though?

I don't remember seeing a single interview with him since. Maybe the club should of put out a puff piece.

The joys of being hated now is. Minor things get blown out of hand.

I think Teddy's squid games comment was worse then writing the passage to a song. Yet no outrage because of the contacts Roosters have in the media

The squid James thing was swept so far under the rug.

Munky

Coach
If only Teddy recorded himself calling some Squid Game and then shared it around.

Except he didn't.

snickers007

Juniors
If he re contextualised it to show his growth rather than about "haters" he would've been fine.

Not speaking about Tyrone May in particular - but a lot of athletes use the "haters" as motivation. It's what gives them their edge. And without it, they can't perform. Especially those that come from lower socio-economic areas. We need our players to have that kind of edge or chip on their shoulder.

And when you've bottled that up for 2 years, and finally reached the top of the mountain, it's all gonna come out somehow.

Lot's of sport psychology studies into this kind of stuff, and anectodally you can see it in the fact that only 1 team has gone back to back in the NRL in the last ~30 years.

We can probably see this exact thing playing out with someone like Jarome Luai right now. Kid from the hood, never meant to be anything. Suddenly he's an Origin star, and won a premiership. Now he think's he's got it, and performing like shit. Probably the best thing for us/Jarome right now would be for him to mouth off to the wrong guy, and get an absolute flogging - and he can channel that feeling into his football.

On Tyrone May specifically, regardless of his intentions, perception is reality, and he missed the mark with his IG post. You're exactly right in that a message about growth would have gone down a treat, especially if he rocked a nice turtle neck/sweater as well!

I personally think he'd still make a positive contribution to our team on the footy field - but understand if our management and sponsors don't want that kind of baggage. Having said that, the black listing of him by our club following his release was/is shit, and completely undermines our club values.

WestyLife

First Grade
Not speaking about Tyrone May in particular - but a lot of athletes use the "haters" as motivation. It's what gives them their edge. And without it, they can't perform. Especially those that come from lower socio-economic areas. We need our players to have that kind of edge or chip on their shoulder.

And when you've bottled that up for 2 years, and finally reached the top of the mountain, it's all gonna come out somehow.

Lot's of sport psychology studies into this kind of stuff, and anectodally you can see it in the fact that only 1 team has gone back to back in the NRL in the last ~30 years.

We can probably see this exact thing playing out with someone like Jarome Luai right now. Kid from the hood, never meant to be anything. Suddenly he's an Origin star, and won a premiership. Now he think's he's got it, and performing like shit. Probably the best thing for us/Jarome right now would be for him to mouth off to the wrong guy, and get an absolute flogging - and he can channel that feeling into his football.

On Tyrone May specifically, regardless of his intentions, perception is reality, and he missed the mark with his IG post. You're exactly right in that a message about growth would have gone down a treat, especially if he rocked a nice turtle neck/sweater as well!

I personally think he'd still make a positive contribution to our team on the footy field - but understand if our management and sponsors don't want that kind of baggage. Having said that, the black listing of him by our club following his release was/is shit, and completely undermines our club values.

A lot of that makes sense. Was he black listed? Always assumed he'd be wanted back here at some point.

snickers007

Juniors
A lot of that makes sense. Was he black listed? Always assumed he'd be wanted back here at some point.

The immediate aftermath of his release was the end of year awards, and the premiership parade.

He wasn't invited to either. He wasn't thanked as an outgoing Panther at the awards night (alongside Burton, Capewell, Naden etc), and he wasn't announced as an apology at the Parade (like Yeo and Sorenson were).

To me it was one of those times when their silence was deafening. Complete head in sand, and hope no-one noticed.

WestyLife

First Grade
The immediate aftermath of his release was the end of year awards, and the premiership parade.

He wasn't invited to either. He wasn't thanked as an outgoing Panther at the awards night (alongside Burton, Capewell, Naden etc), and he wasn't announced as an apology at the Parade (like Yeo and Sorenson were).

To me it was one of those times when their silence was deafening. Complete head in sand, and hope no-one noticed.

Fair enough I didn't see those events.

John Hamblin

Juniors
I think only Cleary Yeo and To'o are guaranted to play Origin this year. Martin was picked last year when Angus Crichton was unavailable, Luai's form does not guarantee him a spot and I think Cook will get picked ahead of Korisau who I wouldn't pick on the bench. Stephen Crichton is an obvious chance but there are many good options to replace Latrell.

I hope I'm wrong but that's my take on it.

WestyLife

First Grade
I think only Cleary Yeo and To'o are guaranted to play Origin this year. Martin was picked last year when Angus Crichton was unavailable, Luai's form does not guarantee him a spot and I think Cook will get picked ahead of Korisau who I wouldn't pick on the bench. Stephen Crichton is an obvious chance but there are many good options to replace Latrell.

I hope I'm wrong but that's my take on it.

Luai is picked for combinations more than form.

Iamback

Coach
Wighton, Cody Walker, Burton or Luai are the only options for 6?

Lets start with Possessions

Burton 414
Walker 406
Luai 344
Wighton 329

Tries
Cody Walker 4
Luai 3
Wighton 3
Burton 1

Try Assists
Luai 6
Walker 5
Burton 2
Wighton 2

Line breaks
Walker 4
Luai 3
Burton 1
Wighton 1

Tackle bust

Wighton 24
Burton 22
Luai 19
Walker 18

Total Try involvements

Luai 14
Walker 14
Wighton 8
Burton 4

Tackle %

Walker 83%
Luai 80%
Wighton 79%
Burton 78%

So even allowing for a poor month. Overall Luai is up there in numbers before you even count the relationship with Cleary

Smug Panther

First Grade
Luai is a good footballer who acts like he's Joey Johns. He's up there with one of the luckiest players to play in this no punch era. The pissant little f**k wouldn't act like this 15 years ago that's for sure

Latest posts