What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Kilkenny

Coach
Yes.
The club is doing well .Since covid restrictions ended people have been more getting out .Penrith is a booming region
The Leagues Club has massive competition for the food and beverage dollars. I think all things considered they appear to be trading well, even if anytime I have been there in recent times, there appears plenty of vacant poker machines to play if that is your thing.

Iamback

Coach
The Leagues Club has massive competition for the food and beverage dollars. I think all things considered they appear to be trading well, even if anytime I have been there in recent times, there appears plenty of vacant poker machines to play if that is your thing.

Panthers don't keep pokie revenue anyway

Pomoz

Bench
Haha Good old H with 117 subs does one of the few intelligent Cleary interviews. Mainstream media recycle it as news.
A brilliant insight into Ivan and the culture he has created. A couple of points he made really resonated with me, they apply to leadership in general, not just coaching:

- No matter what you preparation you have, your first head coaching role will be overwhelming. You just have to drop in the deep end, you will make mistakes and you must learn as quickly as you can. Cameron Ciraldo, please take note;

- Gus was his most influential mentor and changed the way he looked at football. He still bases his coaching on principles that he learnt from Gus. Great leaders learn from everybody;

- You need somebody in your corner when you are a new head coach, Somebody to help and protect you. He said John Hart was the man who helped him at the Warriors and without him he wouldn't have lasted. All leaders need a mentor;

- Communication is everything and he has learned that sometimes you even need to teach players what to say. He said "if you don't communicate on the field, you just just as well not be on the field";

- His attitude to delegation is such a mature understanding of leadership. As he said "I have learned to delegate and listen to what people like the defence coaches have to say. I can learn from them, they always bring something different to the table which is useful. Why do I need to score points and "one up" them? I am the head coach".

This flies against the "leader makes all the decisions and is an expert at everything" bullshit pushed by the press. They simply don't understand leadership at all. Nobody can be an expert at everything. Great leaders listen, delegate and sometimes get out of the way so others can move the team forward. The uninformed view this as a weakness "Ciraldo/Barrett are the real reason the Panthers won. They are the brains etc". It isn't weakness, it is a sign of confidence and belief that nothing matters except the team achieving its goals. It isn't about having all the answers and ideas, it's about making sure that you find a way to get the right people in place to provide the ideas and answers.

What I really liked was when he talked about how much he enjoys being part of something bigger than yourself. Helping the team win and improve. He was very impressive. It was all about the team, about others and how they helped along the way.

I thought Ivan shouldn't have come back. I thought the father/son coaching dilemma would be his undoing. How wrong I was. His ability to lead the team whilst dealing with all the father/son crap in the press as the team faltered at the start, is a massive endorsement of his leadership as a head coach. Respect.

This flies against the "leader makes all the decisions and is an expert at everything" bullshit pushed by the press. They simply don't understand leadership at all. Nobody can be an expert at everything. Great leaders listen, delegate and sometimes get out of the way so others can move the team forward. The uninformed view this as a weakness "Ciraldo/Barrett are the real reason the Panthers won. They are the brains etc". It isn't weakness, it is a sign of confidence and belief that nothing matters except the team achieving its goals. It isn't about having all the answers and ideas, it's about making sure that you find a way to get the right people in place to provide the ideas and answers.
Good post Pomoz.

The point about delegation isn’t only about mastery (ie getting a better outcome) but it is also really important in creating a culture which values the collective performance over the individual.

It is why I find the whole media narrative around the team being arrogant so wrong. Yes the team celebrates successes, but they are generally team successes and the perceived ‘excesses’ are always when they are celebrating their teammates actions. There is no way a team that has ego (in its negative form) could turn up and put in the consistency of performance this team does throughout the game, every minute of the game, week after week, fit multiple seasons now.

Also loved his self recognition that one of his traits that held him back from improving as a player was that he didn’t take enough risks; so self reflective.

Kilkenny

Coach
Off footy topic, wife and I went to Allianz this evening and enjoyed Elton John for the last time. Amazing performer, amazing sone’s, one of the greats. The new stadium was amazing, everything from food outlets, bars, toilets, accessible for mobility impaired just perfect. Have read some negative reviews prior to going tonight, some people have nothing good to say about anything, the new Allianz is brilliant.

The yak

Juniors
Off footy topic, wife and I went to Allianz this evening and enjoyed Elton John for the last time. Amazing performer, amazing sone’s, one of the greats. The new stadium was amazing, everything from food outlets, bars, toilets, accessible for mobility impaired just perfect. Have read some negative reviews prior to going tonight, some people have nothing good to say about anything, the new Allianz is brilliant.

You were very fortunate you weren't in Melbourne for Elton's show.