What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

soc123_au

Staff member
Would anyone take him at 6 considering his apparent fitness issues. Guy is a ball playing forward.
Did Manly sign him long term on spine money? I recall there were noises he rated himself as a million dollar a year man, but don't know if that was around a new contract. 500k tops as an edge would be all I'd want to pay and even then it's a risk, even if he was 100% committed to playing that role. If he even spoke about getting the 6 during negotiations I'd tell him to tell his story walking.

WestyLife

First Grade
Did Manly sign him long term on spine money? I recall there were noises he rated himself as a million dollar a year man, but don't know if that was around a new contract. 500k tops as an edge would be all I'd want to pay and even then it's a risk, even if he was 100% committed to playing that role. If he even spoke about getting the 6 during negotiations I'd tell him to tell his story walking.

Like you I remember some talk about big money but no idea if he's really on it. The fact Manly signed Brooks makes me think it was all media talk though.

Iamback

Coach

According to the Top 100. He is getting halves money

$800k

Yeo $750k
Luai $680k

according to the same list

Hooked

Juniors
A lot of people shit on Barrett but our attack was at its best (by a margin) when he was our attack coach.

I don't shit on Barrett, but there is not much difference in points averaged in the regular season between him and Webster.
The draw is never even. Sometimes you get two games against the cellar dwellers. Other times one.
Both did a good job as attack coach.
Barrett change the attacking structure and Webster did his own tweaks.

Before Barrett
2019 17.2 points averaged.

2020 averaged 26.8 from 20 games (Barrett)
2021 averaged from 28.1 from 24 games (Webster )
2022 averaged from 24 games.26.5

2023 atm averaging 24.2

2020 was wild with disruptions with Covid. No Origin during the season either.

Fangs

Coach
I don't shit on Barrett, but there is not much difference in points averaged in the regular season between him and Webster.
The draw is never even. Sometimes you get two games against the cellar dwellers. Other times one.
Both did a good job as attack coach.
Barrett change the attacking structure and Webster did his own tweaks.

Before Barrett
2019 17.2 points averaged.

2020 averaged 26.8 from 20 games (Barrett)
2021 averaged from 28.1 from 24 games (Webster )
2022 averaged from 24 games.26.5

2023 atm averaging 24.2

2020 was wild with disruptions with Covid. No Origin during the season either.

Don't forget 2020 saw the introduction of the set restart rule as well.

Baz definitely had assistant written all over him. Whe he takes the helm his results aren't too pretty.

Fangs

Coach

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary has put the mental toll State of Origin takes on players on the agenda as he prepares to reinclude a raft of NSW stars who sat out his team’s last-start victory over Newcastle.

Cleary is moving away from the “must-play after Origin” notion and did so this year by resting his players even though the Panthers didn’t have the “luxury” of a clear ladder advantage despite his team sitting on top ahead of a trip to Melbourne to face the Storm this Friday.

“All the guys will do it and that’s part of the history and culture of Origin, that you back up for your club,” he said.

“But we talk about how hard it is on five-day turnarounds yet guys are backing up two, three days after the hardest game of the year and not just physically hard, it’s the emotional too, particularly if you lose.

---

While I'm surprised by the sudden change in opinion I welcome it. I've felt the same way about Origin for a long time now.

The last statement resonates with me quite a bit. Often we look at minutes played and assume those with a lower workload can just do the short turnaround. However its not just the physicality that matters. Its mentally draining on the players and apart from playing a grand final it probably doesn't get any harder when playing the sport.

Add in the World Cup and WCC this year, a shortened pre-season. It starts to take its toll at some point even with a young squad.

snickers007

Juniors

While I'm surprised by the sudden change in opinion I welcome it. I've felt the same way about Origin for a long time now.

The last statement resonates with me quite a bit. Often we look at minutes played and assume those with a lower workload can just do the short turnaround. However its not just the physicality that matters. Its mentally draining on the players and apart from playing a grand final it probably doesn't get any harder when playing the sport.

Add in the World Cup and WCC this year, a shortened pre-season. It starts to take its toll at some point even with a young squad.

It's a valid point regardless of the bias that may be driving it. The elite of the elite absolutely hate losing and take it very personally. That mental load can manifest in strange ways if left unmanaged.

Conversely, those in the winning team can often ride the wave back into club-land. Cowboys were very hot and cold in the build up to Origin - and have since won 3 from 3 against Melbourne, Penrith and Souths.

Now let's watch the same people who praise Ricky Stuart for defending his players so vehemently chastise Ivan Cleary and label him a whinger for doing the same.

Latest posts