What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

It's a valid point regardless of the bias that may be driving it. The elite of the elite absolutely hate losing and take it very personally. That mental load can manifest in strange ways if left unmanaged.

Conversely, those in the winning team can often ride the wave back into club-land. Cowboys were very hot and cold in the build up to Origin - and have since won 3 from 3 against Melbourne, Penrith and Souths.

Now let's watch the same people who praise Ricky Stuart for defending his players so vehemently chastise Ivan Cleary and label him a whinger for doing the same.
I agree, if Trent Robinson, Wayne Bennett or Gouldilocks make the comment , then its "maybe they are right" sort of thing.
I think its a thinly veiled "chest beating" saying "look at us ,6 out we still win".

Blade23

Juniors

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary has put the mental toll State of Origin takes on players on the agenda as he prepares to reinclude a raft of NSW stars who sat out his team’s last-start victory over Newcastle.

Cleary is moving away from the “must-play after Origin” notion and did so this year by resting his players even though the Panthers didn’t have the “luxury” of a clear ladder advantage despite his team sitting on top ahead of a trip to Melbourne to face the Storm this Friday.

“All the guys will do it and that’s part of the history and culture of Origin, that you back up for your club,” he said.

“But we talk about how hard it is on five-day turnarounds yet guys are backing up two, three days after the hardest game of the year and not just physically hard, it’s the emotional too, particularly if you lose.

---

While I'm surprised by the sudden change in opinion I welcome it. I've felt the same way about Origin for a long time now.

The last statement resonates with me quite a bit. Often we look at minutes played and assume those with a lower workload can just do the short turnaround. However its not just the physicality that matters. Its mentally draining on the players and apart from playing a grand final it probably doesn't get any harder when playing the sport.

Add in the World Cup and WCC this year, a shortened pre-season. It starts to take its toll at some point even with a young squad.

I said on Saturday unless we rested a few rep players some would be hitting the wall soon. It is just not feasible. The WC hangover has made the season harder.
Given how close the competition is. Come the business year of the season I think it will come down to which squad is the healthiest/freshest that takes out the title.

Kilkenny

Coach
I said on Saturday unless we rested a few rep players some would be hitting the wall soon. It is just not feasible. The WC hangover has made the season harder.
Given how close the competition is. Come the business year of the season I think it will come down to which squad is the healthiest/freshest that takes out the title.
Ivan should be given credit for his brave call. The players who filled in did a very good job I thought.

Kilkenny

Coach
It's absolutely a credit to the coaching at the club. I don't think another cub could do it.
We are fortunate in so many ways to have fringe players of the calibre of Matt Eusinhuth and Tyrone Peachy. They will be back to NSW Cup this week but both did their jobs against the Knights. They know their position in the pecking order, but do what is asked of them when called upon.

WestyLife

First Grade
We are fortunate in so many ways to have fringe players of the calibre of Matt Eusinhuth and Tyrone Peachy. They will be back to NSW Cup this week but both did their jobs against the Knights. They know their position in the pecking order, but do what is asked of them when called upon.

It's definitely a luxury to have experience to bring in.

MrBlack

Juniors
I always thought this year would have to be a come from the back of the pack and time our run.

We should be rested and full strength going into post Origin. Other clubs are already starting to show signs of fatigue. Broncos Dolphins etc

We are well placed, the fact we are on top is a bonus.

Kilkenny

Coach
Ivan has definitely improved in this regard, he used to consistently run the players into the ground
I must admit I was a bit concerned. But we never really looked in danger of losing so the players brought in did really well. We didn’t put the game to bed either, but doesn’t matter now.

WestyLife

First Grade
It's also good that players like Cogger, Jenkins etc get a run. It helps them with the experience and allows the staff to assess them under real (NRL) conditions.

Agreed. Cogger is especially interesting having played for a few clubs and super league.

Hooked

Juniors
I always thought this year would have to be a come from the back of the pack and time our run.

We should be rested and full strength going into post Origin. Other clubs are already starting to show signs of fatigue. Broncos Dolphins etc

We are well placed, the fact we are on top is a bonus.

I think Souffs have issues. Very lethargic on the weekend.
Add that a few of their players (I read) need special light training conditions. Graham, Calker and Fatboy.

Kilkenny

Coach
Add that a few of their players (I read) need special light training conditions. Graham, Calker and Fatboy.
SOO, injury issues this is a tough time of year for all sides.

The competition is more even than it has been for a few seasons which makes our current position even more meritorious. We really have done well even allowing for so many close losses.

MrBlack

Juniors
Forgot about South’s but they are another team on the slide.

Latest posts