What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Pomoz

Bench
Ok, the reason the brown and white was dropped is because the Panthers had the lowest selling merchandise in the NRL. Research showed people didn't like it. It looked like poo and it sold accordingly. It was nothing to do with not winning. The 91 team was good enough to win wearing pink Tutus and a Fez.

It's good to recognise the past, but it's OK to also say that most people didn't like it.

Pomoz

Bench
Brown is still many tiers above the pink shit we wear
That is subjective. Pink sells better than brown is fact. I like the pink jersey but I understand why some don't. It connects with the female fans and that's important.

I love the juxtaposition of the sheer ferocious brutality of league and the feminine colour pink. Leota in a pink jersey is just nuts. It's like Mike Tyson in pink trunks and with his soft voice. They both should come with health warnings. "Beware of the angry man".

Fangs

Coach
Like it or not it's our history. We absolutely need that jersey if we are a serious football club. And I don't think it looks bad at all.

Most fans recognise the 91 version as our spiritual jersey. The year Penrith put itself on the map. IMO still one of the best jerseys an NRL team has produced. I don't see why we can't have both.

WestyLife

First Grade
Ok, the reason the brown and white was dropped is because the Panthers had the lowest selling merchandise in the NRL. Research showed people didn't like it. It looked like poo and it sold accordingly. It was nothing to do with not winning. The 91 team was good enough to win wearing pink Tutus and a Fez.

It's good to recognise the past, but it's OK to also say that most people didn't like it.

I wasn't saying they changed because the team didn't win I was saying the emotion is more attached to the licorice all sorts because they won in it.

WestyLife

First Grade
Like it or not it's our history. We absolutely need that jersey if we are a serious football club. And I don't think it looks bad at all.

Most fans recognise the 91 version as our spiritual jersey. The year Penrith put itself on the map. IMO still one of the best jerseys an NRL team has produced. I don't see why we can't have both.

It's fine as the heritage jersey since that's what it is. The clubs heritage.

Milhouse2020

Juniors
Ok, the reason the brown and white was dropped is because the Panthers had the lowest selling merchandise in the NRL. Research showed people didn't like it.

It was also because Penrith is a rubbish team, but hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good whinge.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Brown is still many tiers above the pink shit we wear

I disagree strongly about this. We were the first club to embrace the pink. The pink jersey is especially inclusive of the female viewer of the game. Especially the young girls.

I was told some years ago that it was (by far and away) the most popular jersey ever sold.

Also as an alternative it doesn't clash with any other club.

When you add in the Pink Panther slogan. Long may it reign.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
It was also because Penrith is a rubbish team, but hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good whinge.

I disagree. Penrith for the years prior to 1991 had made the finals. The brand and the team were growing.

The biggest thing holding back this growth was in the sale of merchandise.

Hence the new jersey in 1991.

The brown and white jersey has it's place......in our history. The colour change in 1991 was a master stroke by the merchandise team.

Iamback

Coach
That is subjective. Pink sells better than brown is fact. I like the pink jersey but I understand why some don't. It connects with the female fans and that's important.

I love the juxtaposition of the sheer ferocious brutality of league and the feminine colour pink. Leota in a pink jersey is just nuts. It's like Mike Tyson in pink trunks and with his soft voice. They both should come with health warnings. "Beware of the angry man".

Of course female's love the pink, I'd no issue with it If it part of the colour scheme.

It is purely to market and should only be 1 off games or add pink to the colours

Munky

Coach
Confused Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

chrisD

Coach
Current jersey is best jersey, pink is ok but I’d prefer a majority white alternative of the default for our away jersey, like a 9s jersey I have.