What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News George Williams quits Raiders

skeepe

Immortal
We’ve all seen this movie before, we all know how it ends. Can we just skip ahead to the inevitable resignation now so that we can get on with our lives?

GAZF

First Grade
We’ve all seen this movie before, we all know how it ends. Can we just skip ahead to the inevitable resignation now so that we can get on with our lives?
Only 29 consecutive losses to go.

- John Mackay

myrrh ken

First Grade
I've got no bias either way on this..

But the situation would not be how it is if the player - who signed a 7-figure, 3 year contract - requested to get out of it.

It all starts with him. And finishes with him.

Both Gareth Widdop & George Williams are English players who cited "homesickness" as a reason to their clubs in order return home. But that's where the similarities end for me.

The difference between this case and Widdop as I see it is that Widdop had spent a long time in Australia, and served his employer/club (the Dragons) for many seasons and added value to that team. They were better for him being there. The release, while not ideal for the Dragons, was still respectful and mutual - because of how he'd served the club.

Williams spent one season here, then wanted a release. End of season or otherwise.. One season.... A guy who the Raiders had spent transfer fees on ($200k or so??), committed to 7 figures over 3 years, with a competitive squad around him which had reached the grand final only a year before...

The team has declined since he's come to the Raiders. They are performing worse each season since he's been there. That's not all on him but for a guy who signed for a princely sum to want to quit after only 1 season says far more about him than the Raiders club.

So how long before you're allowed to get legitimately home sick?

They could have done this all quietly instead of leaking it to Kent and Hooper who were trying to defend their fake news headline.

All that did was show that Bateman was right about the in-house leaks

I reckon Hoops was on the phone to Ricky to get material for his retort about 1 minute after that NRL360 ended.

How funny is Rickys "you guys will write what you're gunna write" and "I dont care what people think of me" but then he leaks shit to his media mates to defend himself and the club.

Things said be people who absolutely do care what people think about them

Bring back Sezer! The Turkish connection hasn't caused them any issues!!

Hail Sezer!!
images

TheDMC

Bench
So the NRL bangs on about “mental health”
etc etc etc... and then when a player wrestled with a really hard situation, pregnant missus 10’s of thousands of miles from home and family, says he needs a few days of work ‘cos he’s got his priorities stress, and a club cancels his contract that day & talks shit to the media?

We’re supposed to be down with that? :flushed:

That's a very one-eyed look at the situation.

I wonder whether Canberra would have been more accommodating to Williams current woes if he remained committed to the club? But he wants out of his contract early and no skin off his teeth as will get a big fat contract back in England easy as pie. But shit for Canberra, both this season and next unless they find a great replacement.

On the face of it I don't think his situation is as tough as what many of the warriors faced last year. Out of the blue they were suddenly stuck in Australia for the season without any of their family about, including partners and some very young children. George, on the other hand, was fully set up and prepared to live in Canberra long-term. Not like he was planning on popping home every month anyway. Meanwhile, last year the warriors let three players abandon the season and go back to NZ due to the impact on their mental wellbeing. And currently, at least one player this season is struggling mentally and is not playing. No dramas, the club are looking after him.

So, based on scanty evidence, my takeaways are:

-George is a bit of a sook and not doing right by Canberra.
-Canberra aren't the most empathetic outfit.

So how long before you're allowed to get legitimately home sick?

They could have done this all quietly instead of leaking it to Kent and Hooper who were trying to defend their fake news headline.

All that did was show that Bateman was right about the in-house leaks

If we are going to trust John Bateman for moral advice on committing to your signature on a contract then the world has completely turned on its head...

myrrh ken

First Grade
If we are going to trust John Bateman for moral advice on committing to your signature on a contract then the world has completely turned on its head...

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he have a clause that he could renegotiate every year, then asked for a release when the Raiders baulked at the figure, which the Raiders then agreed?

betcats

Referee
It doesn't even matter if everything Hooper said is true. The fact is the raiders are happy to feed these dropkick journos to push their own agenda and guys like Hooper and Kent are clearly biased towards the raiders and are unlikely to report what is happening fairly, they are clearly backing the raiders. What player would be happy seeing their mate shit canned like that? And then the club feeds inside info to journos most players seem to hate just to try and win a PR victory, its ridiculous. Any player would be thinking "will they do me like that if I piss them off?"

myrrh ken

First Grade
Anyway Chad is going to be kicking stones in Reggies for the rest of the season. Any interest Stick?

Latest posts