What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News George Williams quits Raiders

bileduct

Coach
Because he’s under contract and it takes both parties to agree before you can terminate the contract. Just like he can’t come out and say he’s leaving at end of year regardless of what raiders say.
The contract hasn't been terminated because he hasn't signed the termination agreement.

Why won't he sign it?

The contract hasn't been terminated because he hasn't signed the termination agreement.

Why won't he sign it?
I appreciate that others don’t think Williams is facing genuine mental anguish and that the ‘homesick’ narrative is just an excuse to break his contract.

But can we (or the Raiders) afford to not take Williams’ concerns seriously? Are we serious about mental health or not?

And if we take on face value that Williams has genuine mental health concerns and challenges, there is every chance he is confused and stressed about a number of factors; financial, logistical, professional, family. These factors might make it difficult to simply ‘jump on the proverbial plane tomorrow’.

He wasn't dismissed for calling in sick.

He was granted an early release from his contract because that's what he wanted.

I’m struggling to see how you don’t understand this, and then I realised you probably do but you’re just being wilfully obtuse ‘cos Williams has annoyed ya. Fair do’s. Doesn’t work legally though, sorry fella.

He didn’t ask for an immediate release. He asked if the club would consider releasing him from his contract at the end of the season. Even if they’d said yes they would consider it, it’d still need his formal consent to the specific details thereafter. That question from him certainly doesn’t give them the ability to terminate his contract with immediate effect. I know you’d prefer it if it did, but it doesn’t matey :joy::joy::joy:

bileduct

Coach
But they've haven't terminated his contract without his formal consent. They asked him to sign a document, remember?

They've given him the option to get on a plane and f**k off now so he doesn't have the boo hoo sads that suddenly stopped him from being able to run around a field the moment he didn't get what he wanted. They've even been nice enough to relieve him of all responsibilities in the meantime so he can concentrate on packing his bags, getting his shit in order and taking his COVID-19 test. Seems pretty fair!

Unless you're George Williams, of course, and you expect the club will have no option but to let you walk away from your contract early completely on your own terms... right?

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Ricky: Hoops Williams wants out and I won’t let him go, he’s now spit the dummy and called in sick. I’ve told him he can f**k off now
Hooper: cheers stick I’ll f**k him over in the media so he looks like a sook walking out on you

Williams: let me go end of year and I’ll do all I can for the team now
Rick: nah you can f**k off we don’t want you
Hoops: Williams quits raiders immediately

Williams, hang the f**k on
REST OF TEAM: wtf are you doing stick

and so sht goes on. Raiders for wooden spoon in two years, get your money on it now!

'I'll do all I can for the team now'?

Ie miss trainings, try and sign with a Sydney club, even miss a game?

The rest of the team may well be sooking it up, because they couldn't give a f**k how a club is run. They just want to be paid. He's their mate, of course they're going to back him. Now their impression that player power is all encompassing has been slightly dented, which is a great thing.

betcats

Referee
It’s pretty hilarious watching some of these people try to act like the raiders handled this well. They are in a legal stand off with a player that seems well liked. They’ve killed any chance of recovering this season and made themselves look like f**kwits trying to make some point with Williams but they’ve just created a rod for their own back.They had Hooper trying to swing this for them from the start, the first story he wrote was how Williams DUMPED the raiders by text which is complete horseshit so you know good luck recruiting any one decent to that shit show with everyone now knowing exactly where the leak to f**kwit journos is coming from. If they are willing to let him go why not just let him go at the end of the year and avoid all this bull shit which obviously includes the playing group being unhappy, Williams is their best half plus treating him well in this case would’ve done much more for their reputation with their own players and potential recruits. All they’ve done is piss everyone off and made the club look like a big crisis. It’s the dumbest shit I’ve seen from a club in a while that’s for certain.

betcats

Referee
'I'll do all I can for the team now'?

Ie miss trainings, try and sign with a Sydney club, even miss a game?

The rest of the team may well be sooking it up, because they couldn't give a f**k how a club is run. They just want to be paid. He's their mate, of course they're going to back him. Now their impression that player power is all encompassing has been slightly dented, which is a great thing.

Aw yeah the players are really going to be rethinking their power in the game after this :rolleyes:

But they've haven't terminated his contract without his formal consent. They asked him to sign a document, remember?

They've given him the option to get on a plane and f**k off now so he doesn't have the boo hoo sads that suddenly stopped him from being able to run around a field the moment he didn't get what he wanted
? Anyway, is his gf up the duff?

Leber

Bench
Did he ask for a release right now, or at the end of the year?

Thats the key point. If he asked for it right now, he's got it. And he is being a sook.

If he asked for it at the end of the year and the raiders agreed, then his dismissal has been unjustified.

So say Williams sought a release for the end of the season, and then he got an injury that sat him out for a month, would the Raiders be justified in releasing him immediately?

No? So why are they treating Mental Health differently?

mental health is being used as a ruse
we've had players use it to get away from the canberra cold in the past

if williams was suffering so much
why not ask for an immediate release. This ... oh yea i'll be okay to take your money til the end of the year shit .. is highly sus.

at the raiders, Josh papali?

Nah he was rested. Think @bileduct answered this earlier. A big prop, cornerstone of the pack, struggling for form - possibly due to the new rules/pace of the game. Would also have had an origin series to play (prior to suspension).

Not unusual for players to be rested and it’s easier to replace a prop (as big a shoes to fill as Papalii) than a halfback - the lynchpin of the attack.

The Williams situation is different altogether.

The only players I can recall who refused to play for their club under contract are Sonny Bill Williams, Anthony Mundine (who both ended up leaving their club and the sport) and Solomon Haumono. Apart from the start of 1996 with Super League (eg Tallis, Ridge). There may be others I’m missing..

Any others who’ve sat out games have worked with their club in order to get through difficulties (eg Ash Taylor) or been rested due to workload, injury niggles, origin/finals etc.

As for point blank refusal to play ... Williams is the only one I can remember.

Saxon

Bench
mental health is being used as a ruse
we've had players use it to get away from the canberra cold in the past
If so many Canberra players over so long have claimed (or exhibited) mental health issues, maybe it's time to look at the environment rather than the players.
if williams was suffering so much why not ask for an immediate release. This ... oh yea i'll be okay to take your money til the end of the year shit .. is highly sus.
Or maybe he was trying to do the right thing by the club, you know? Like give them time to find a replacement and not leave them in the lurch?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I appreciate that others don’t think Williams is facing genuine mental anguish and that the ‘homesick’ narrative is just an excuse to break his contract.

But can we (or the Raiders) afford to not take Williams’ concerns seriously? Are we serious about mental health or not?

And if we take on face value that Williams has genuine mental health concerns and challenges, there is every chance he is confused and stressed about a number of factors; financial, logistical, professional, family. These factors might make it difficult to simply ‘jump on the proverbial plane tomorrow’.

I'm 100% hot on mental health as an issue. But if he truly got his agent to contact Sydney clubs to live by the beach, and he doesn't like Canberra (as Hooper says and we know his mail is coming right out of the inner santcum at the Raiders) then nah. Another example of people claiming mental anguish when things aren't going their way, which is much different to clinically diagnosed depression, anxiety etc.