What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get a load of this sh*t!

Frederick

Staff member
The face of the Knights crisis

Article from:

By Josh Massoud
August 23, 2007 12:00am

MEET Sarah Matterson, the little girl who captures the disillusionment of Newcastle - Australia's crumbling rugby league stronghold.

After watching Penrith flog her beloved Knights 46-12 on Sunday, the nine-year-old decided to speak up on behalf of Newcastle fans young and old.

With a purple texta, she penned a hand-written plea to club management for the sacking of coach Brian Smith.

"Why has he wreked (sic) our team?" Sarah wrote.

"I reckon you should SACK him because you need to start winning."

Her simple sentiments were widely echoed when The Daily Telegraph visited Newcastle yesterday to gauge the city's reaction to Smith's first year as Knights coach and the controversial non-selection of Kirk Reynoldson.

But Sarah does not live among the other pained supporters. Instead, she was compelled to speak up from Albion Park on the South Coast - almost 400km away from Energy Australia Stadium.

The Year Three pupil watched Sunday's thrashing on television and, without being prompted by her Knights-mad mother Fiona, put pen to paper immediately after the coverage ended.

Ms Matterson posted the letter yesterday and is expecting a response from Newcastle CEO Steve Burraston when he receives it this morning.

"Sarah said, 'Mummy I think I'm going to write a letter to tell them they should do something'," Ms Matterson told The Daily Telegraph.

"I said, 'Okay, if you think that will help then go right ahead and I'll post it for you'.

"She even went onto the Internet to get the Knights' postal address from their website."

Asked why she decided to write the letter Sarah said: "When the game finished I looked at the score.

"They were really high and we were really low.

"That's when I decided to write it."

Sarah said she could hardly bear to watch her team lurch to its seventh straight loss at the hands of the wooden-spoon favourites.

"It hurt my eyes," she added.

"We need to start winning a bit. I want to get people thinking they should sack Brian Smith.

"We need someone who is good at coaching - maybe like the Storm's coach."

Although she lives in the shadows of the state's other steel city - Wollongong - Sarah supports Newcastle because her mum is a Knights member.

Ms Matterson said it was "out of character" for her daughter to write letters.

"She's never done it before," Ms Matterson said.

"She will normally just blow up and then calm down. This time she felt strongly enough and hoped that by doing this she might be able to stop them losing."
LINK

:lol: How f**king low do the Telecrap wanna stoop? Using a f**king 9 year old to push their agenda

Pathetic :lol:

RABK

Referee
I think it's time that we all did two things...

-write a letter to Brian Smith pledging our support

-write a scathing letter to the telegraph

If the likes of me, Misanthrope, Nuffy, Alex28, Johns Magic etc etc all did this we could probably make Paul Kent and co cry just a little.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I'd be all for contributing to that letter tbh. What a f**king joke the Telegraph are :lol:

punton

Juniors
As a neutral on the subject, this apparent agenda against Brian smith is way out of order.

Good on you Newcastle fans who are sticking by him.

So am I if needed, time for the Knights fans that actually know a little about the game to stand behind B. Smith and the club.

BTW: Can someone tell me how in the flying f**k this passes for current affairs journalism?

voltron

Juniors
its a 'human interest' story when u introduce the 'people'

but seriously it must be interview the little kids day @ the telecrap
arent they running a similar thing for the tigers/souths game not going to telstra?

PrideKnight

Bench
Yeah they are, that warrants front page news too, complete with rusty not even being here.. how dare a club stick to tradition instead of going for extra capital, since when has any media outlet been interested in getting more people to the actual game, 2xfriday and 1xmonday tells me they dont give a rats

This is what my mate who is a Souths fan had to say about this:

If every kid that supported Souths had access to a purple texta we'd have needed extra postmen around Redfern.

Don't remember Brian Smith missing any tackles last week.

From a Primary School teacher's point of view, I can tell you now that there is NO WAY that letter is written by a 9 year old.

- very few 9 year olds would correctly spell the word 'reckon'. Most would have either 'recon' or 'rekon'

- any 9 year old cluey enough to know that 'wrecked' is spelt witha silent w would, in all likelihood, also know that is has a 'ck' in the middle.

- the writing is very neat for someone of the age.

- the crossed out word on the first line looks like a mistake that has been made on purpose (maybe to give the letter authenticity).

- 9 year olds do not sign off letters with the word 'regards'

I smell the sickly scent of the parents... or maybe even the Telegraph itself (if I am allowed to say that?)

Kazaf

Juniors
I agree that we should write a letter to B.Smith to show that he has at least some support, and a word of encouragement for next season.

Cant hurt but Smith has never been the type to care for anothers oppinion one way or the other.

What did Smith do to the telecrap.... Must have been bad cause they loath him.

perverse

Referee
that is the lowest "journalism" i think i've ever read. pushing your agenda through a sick 9 year old is just plain pathetic. i too think it's time we at least showed the club that there are knights fans that see the light at the end of the tunnel.

is there an email address we can send this stuff to?

roopy

Referee
I wouldn't waste my time writing to the telegraph - write to their rivals the sydney herald and you have a better chance of getting an article supporting the club printed.

BELMORE

Juniors
Welcome to the Bull dogs world with the Tele they are very one sided and extremly poor in their judgement of what makes news

keeney

First Grade
perverse said:
that is the lowest "journalism" i think i've ever read. pushing your agenda through a sick 9 year old is just plain pathetic. i too think it's time we at least showed the club that there are knights fans that see the light at the end of the tunnel.

is there an email address we can send this stuff to?

She is sick isn't she, little bitch!