What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GI to the Broncos

God-King Dean

Immortal
This actually makes me think Broncos are definitely under the cap.

If they were, no way in hell they'd try to sign Inglis after the Storm broo-ha-ha.

Nightward

Juniors
wow.. all i can say is wow..

After you watch GI play his first game for the Broncs.. you will regret that.

I doubt it. I would sign on with the Titans instead (if he does come up here), but they have Greg Bird :?

Dont let the door hit you on the way out

We can do better than to sign a player who has a number of very shady incidents and a demonstrated lack of judgement in his immediate past for mega bucks. Especially given the players we have coming through now.

I don't expect everyone to be shining exemplars of moral rectitude, but there are limits. I just hope the deal has fallen through- there's been no formal announcement, after all.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
What's Mundine got to do with this? Are you incapable of the discussion?

Just thought I'd highlight Lockyer's silence for what it is. Whilst the situations are clearly not identical, it is a little more than a straight swap of Inglis for Folau. Hannant is coming over on good money as well.

The two scenarios are so far removed from each other, the comparison is just ridiculous.

BDH

Juniors
Basically, are you geniused ??? NRL endorsed the deal, we are no way over the cap in any way shape or from.

Didn't Schubert endorse GI's move to Broncos? Ergo, by your own logic, no way Broncos are over the cap.

I doubt it. I would sign on with the Titans instead (if he does come up here), but they have Greg Bird :?
We can do better than to sign a player who has a number of very shady incidents and a demonstrated lack of judgement in his immediate past for mega bucks. Especially given the players we have coming through now.
Wow, so you will leave your Broncos Membership now? Please do, I mean you have told this forum you will so please do, because....
there's been no formal announcement, after all.
http://www.broncos.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=28931&title=broncos-sign-greg-inglis

Bye!!

Jason Maher

Immortal
LOL, so I was right. You do think the Broncos should just have approached Inglis with their maximum price from the start.

Gee and I thought this thread was in danger of becoming ridiculous. You're clutching at straws, and Razor is here.

You obviously suffer from comprehension defecit disorder. I have no problems with Brisbane or any other club negotiating with anyone (although everyone seemed to have a massive problem with us negotiating with Mark Gasnier). I just have a problem when your chief executive comes out and states publicly that you would not be negotiating any further with Inglis, and then you do negotiate further and sign him. Seems your CEO's word is worth about as much as Tony Abbott's.

SET2JT

Juniors
Pretty sure most of the jealous, paranoid haters in this thread would rather he went to AFL than to Brisbane.
I dont think anyone would want to see that. Ok maby Haynetrain. Look every team gets some stick when they sign a big player like that. Just part of every day life. Look at us Dragons for eg: When Bennet came here last year we had what everyone thought was team of rejects that would struggle to make the 8. 3 months later people were saying that same team must be over the cap.
Anyways good luck to the Broncos for signing him. I think you guys will come close to winning the GF this year and next year you will be my favorites to win it.

Smiley

Bench
Bruno Cullen Slams Faceless Accusers

WOW Brisbane Broncos’ chief executive Bruno Cullen has reacted sharply to today’s media speculation surrounding the signing of Greg Inglis and the Broncos’ ability to fit him into their salary cap.

Cullen was on the front foot when referring to 'faceless' CEOs from other clubs and misinformed media commentators who appear to obviously not understand or have bothered to understand the salary cap rules.

“Not only are the figures attributed to the Inglis contract generally well off the mark, no one seems to have looked at player movement away from our club for next year, or even what recent changes to the salary cap rule next year mean for the Broncos,” said Cullen.

From the Broncos top 25 NRL squad this year the following players are departing:

• Israel Folau
• Steve Michaels
• Lagi Setu
• Ashton Sims
• Antonio Winterstein

Those player departures have freed up in excess of $1.1 million and come on top of Karmichael Hunt, Joel Clinton and PJ Marsh exiting from last year’s squad.

In addition, the salary cap has increased by $350,000 with a $100K cap increase, $100K veteran player allowance and an increase of $150K in marquee player agreements.

In a nutshell that puts the club up to $1.5 million better off for next year.

The Broncos have signed only Ben Hannant and Greg Inglis and still have some change left over.

The opportunity is still there for all players to earn further money from approved third party agreements from non-sponsor, non-affiliated organisations.

Cullen wished to make the following clear.

“I don't know what Greg was on the Storm’s cap for; I don't know what arrangement the Storm and Greg have with regard to his release; I don't know what the Storm have to carry for Greg in the cap over the next two years; and I don't know what transpired between Ian Schubert and the Storm in this regard; because it is none of my business and, for that matter, no one else’s either,” he said.

“What I do know is what we offered Greg is well within the cap and he has accepted it.

“Broncos’ sponsors, fans and corporate supporters should be extremely confident that the club has followed the rules to the letter of the law.

“Our discussions over the past weeks have included a number of conversations with Ian Schubert, and while some issues were debated, we accepted the umpire’s ruling and completed the deal.”

link

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
You obviously suffer from comprehension defecit disorder. I have no problems with Brisbane or any other club negotiating with anyone (although everyone seemed to have a massive problem with us negotiating with Mark Gasnier). I just have a problem when your chief executive comes out and states publicly that you would not be negotiating any further with Inglis, and then you do negotiate further and sign him. Seems your CEO's word is worth about as much as Tony Abbott's.

ALP propaganda aside, that's negotiation. If you think that lacks integrity, then it's a good thing you're not running a football club.

lynx000

Juniors
I noticed that the husky one was incredibly outspoken during the negotiations of Gasnier to the Dragons. Saying that it will create an inequality. Just wondering what he thinks now with the bopper of a contract signed by GI to the Broncos?

The Broncos are looking decidedly strong for next year given the deal for Hannant as well. Not to mention Hodges, Thaiday, Wallace and Lockyer being on decent deals.

Throw in obvious upgrades for furture Origin players such as Yow Yeh and Gillett who are no doubt on some modest short-term contracts and it's obvious the Broncos are pushing the envelope.

I'm confident we won't hear a peep from Lockyer.

Hypocrite.
FMD posters like this push the envelope for stupidity. Talk about comparing apples and oranges. Okay, one more time for those that do not comprehend, Lockyer's complaint was about an international/state of origin player being signed by a club who were virtually at the top of their salary cap just prior to the 30 June cut off date, and having his contract heavily backed ended to enable the said player to play in the current season without St Merge breaching the cap. At no time was Lockyer saying a club should not be able to recruit or be improved.

Now compare the broncos scenario. The club has lost or let go a number of players. Issy - 350-400K, Ashton Sims and Joel Clinton - 530K, PJ Marsh - 200K, Steve Michaels - 100-120K, Antonio Winterstein - 80-100K, Lagi Setu 120K - Total 1.28M-1.35M. Add the extra amount on the salary cap - 1.58M to 1.65M.

They have signed Hannant and GI and upgraded their juniors. Sounds like sound salary cap management to me. The two situations are completely different and if you cannot see that and concede it, you're f***ed in the head.

Add on

gregstar

Referee
did gordon nuttal's 'charity' home get sold to inglis?

is he at the broncos courtesy of the ken talbot scholarship?

gerg

Juniors
FMD posters like this push the envelope for stupidity. Talk about comparing apples and oranges. Okay, one more time for those that do not comprehend, Lockyer's complaint was about an international/state of origin player being signed by a club who were virtually at the top of their salary cap just prior to the 30 June cut off date, and having his contract heavily backed ended to enable the said player to play in the current season without St Merge breaching the cap. At no time was Lockyer saying a club should not be able to recruit or be improved.

Now compare the broncos scenario. The club has lost or let go a number of players. Issy - 350-400K, Ashton Sims and Joel Clinton - 530K, PJ Marsh - 200K, Steve Michaels - 100-120K, Antonio Winterstein - 80-100K, Lagi Setu 120K - Total 1.28M-1.35M. Add the extra amount on the salary cap - 1.58M to 1.65M.

They have signed Hannant and GI and upgraded their juniors. Sounds like sound salary cap management to me. The two situations are completely different and if you cannot see that and concede it, you're f***ed in the head.

Add on

You've broken that down very nicely, thank you. How does two players leaving 12 months ago have anything to do with next years cap? Did the Broncos underspend their cap by 730k this year (PJ Marsh and Clinton) is that what you and Bruno are suggesting?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
You've broken that down very nicely, thank you. How does two players leaving 12 months ago have anything to do with next years cap? Did the Broncos underspend their cap by 730k this year (PJ Marsh and Clinton) is that what you and Bruno are suggesting?

You don't get it do you? Marsh and Clinton didn't leave 12 months ago. Clinton left at the start of the year, and Marsh retired in March this year. They were factored into next years cap and your foil hat is on crooked.

some11

Referee
I'm just going to keep quoting this for you.

Bruno Cullen Slams Faceless Accusers

WOW Brisbane Broncos’ chief executive Bruno Cullen has reacted sharply to today’s media speculation surrounding the signing of Greg Inglis and the Broncos’ ability to fit him into their salary cap.

Cullen was on the front foot when referring to 'faceless' CEOs from other clubs and misinformed media commentators who appear to obviously not understand or have bothered to understand the salary cap rules.

“Not only are the figures attributed to the Inglis contract generally well off the mark, no one seems to have looked at player movement away from our club for next year, or even what recent changes to the salary cap rule next year mean for the Broncos,” said Cullen.

From the Broncos top 25 NRL squad this year the following players are departing:

• Israel Folau
• Steve Michaels
• Lagi Setu
• Ashton Sims
• Antonio Winterstein

Those player departures have freed up in excess of $1.1 million and come on top of Karmichael Hunt, Joel Clinton and PJ Marsh exiting from last year’s squad.

In addition, the salary cap has increased by $350,000 with a $100K cap increase, $100K veteran player allowance and an increase of $150K in marquee player agreements.

In a nutshell that puts the club up to $1.5 million better off for next year.

The Broncos have signed only Ben Hannant and Greg Inglis and still have some change left over.

The opportunity is still there for all players to earn further money from approved third party agreements from non-sponsor, non-affiliated organisations.

Cullen wished to make the following clear.

“I don't know what Greg was on the Storm’s cap for; I don't know what arrangement the Storm and Greg have with regard to his release; I don't know what the Storm have to carry for Greg in the cap over the next two years; and I don't know what transpired between Ian Schubert and the Storm in this regard; because it is none of my business and, for that matter, no one else’s either,” he said.

“What I do know is what we offered Greg is well within the cap and he has accepted it.

“Broncos’ sponsors, fans and corporate supporters should be extremely confident that the club has followed the rules to the letter of the law.

“Our discussions over the past weeks have included a number of conversations with Ian Schubert, and while some issues were debated, we accepted the umpire’s ruling and completed the deal.”

■ Total value $620,000
■ Storm subsidy $40,000
■ Brisbane base offer $400,000
■ Marquee-player payments $180,000

consisting of:

■ FOGS $30,000
■ Channel Nine $40,000
■ Audi $15,000
■ NRMA undisclosed amount

DETAILS

● Any disparity between Inglis's salary at Brisbane and the $620,000 he earned at the Storm must be covered by Melbourne, according to NRL rules.
● Melbourne are paying $40,000 a year towards Inglis's salary over his two-year deal. That figure is being entered in their second-tier salary cap.
● Brisbane's base offer of $400,000 will be included in their $4.2m salary cap for each of seasons 2011 and 2012.
● The marquee-player payments are included under a separate cap for club sponsor third-party deals. No club can spend more than $300,000 on these payments.
● Inglis could even earn more money through non-club sponsor deals that can be arranged by his manager. Such deals must be for services rendered and must be approved by NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert.