What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GI to the Broncos

icewind

Juniors
i just hope, for their sake, that it is purely just baiting, because if it isn't, it's really really sad.

As i said before, we were supposed to be a sinking ship everyone wanted to get out of, yet now we're a club who can get anybody they want, even though, the only significant signings we have made in the past 10 years have been Folau (for family reasons apparently), Hannant (an ex bronco), and Inglis (gf lives in brisbane and he hates sydney fishbowl existence). Of course berating every broncos player possible including sacking the coach, even berating Locky,

yet now we sign one marqee player (inglis), one good forward (hannant on 350k), lose Folau (450k or there abouts), Setu, Winterstein, Sims both of them, PJ marsh on good coin, Clinton on good coin, Michaels mid season, Gorrell. Not to mention the great cleanouts of 08 09. But i've already mentioned that, and if they don't take notice then its not because they don't know, but because they don't WANT to know.

it's just "OMGZ broncos r over teh capz wtfbbq i pwn u wit ur news ltd pwned stfu"

oh and LOL at locky needing someone at news ltd to get him a job after footy. the man is a legend. people will be knocking down his door for his name. I mean, if Andrew "druggo' Johns can get a position as commentator from Newcastle, and freddy "mumble mumble, random jarble weeee! how about that!" fittler can from Roosters, both all things ANTI news ltd., then you'd have to think that Locky has a shot at something.

gregstar

Referee
wonder what lockyer has to say about this.

especially after his comments regarding saints signing gasnier.

boxhead

First Grade
This side is amazing....but people saying it will definitely win a premiership haven't got a clue.
After last year, and with the signings they had, pretty much everyone-the betting, the tippers, the experts-everyone expected the Parramatta Eels to be Premiers this year, and look what happened.

I'm not saying the same will happen to the Broncos, but don't go assuming you will win the competition.....it's one of the more foolish things you can do, because there's only a 1/16 chance you are right.

Butters

Bench
waaaaah my team have no chance of winning the prem next year, quick lets attack the Broncos and their salary cap, even though its pretty clear they are under. Broncos are over the salary cap!!!!

wishful thinking guys. We will win the prem and you can sit there whinging while we celebrate. have fun guys.

lolwut

maccattack

Juniors
"I'm not sayin' our books are the cleanest in the NRL" Bruno Cullen (former) Brisbane Bronco's CEO.

"Gee it's dark in here" The Rugby League community.

inglis1.jpg
inglis2.jpg

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is hilarious.

Big Pete

Referee
I don't recall Inglis or Folau for that matter signing on a pittance mid-season into a team that is obviously at the brim of it's salary cap.

_Johnsy

Referee
This basically allows the Saints to be virtually over the cap THIS SEASON, by having a roster worth more than the cap.

Basically, are you geniused ??? NRL endorsed the deal, we are no way over the cap in any way shape or from.

There is no backending either with Carroll, or Inglis, hence no hypocrisy either.

I have explained this to you twice. You commented about how a player should be paid his market value & you used Gasnier as an example. Over the 3 years we will have to pay gasnier his true market value. You have shown you understand this
But this will also weaken you in the next 2 years, with the likes of Costigan and Smith leaving the club as a consequence.
My comment was directed at your obvious problem with Gasnier not being paid his "true" market value for the remainder of this year. Yet Broncs can pay Carroll match payments only for his return and last year in broncs colours, was this his "true" market value ? Not a chance in hell.

This is how you are being hypocritical.

Razor

Coach
And the Broncos and their fans will expect people to believe their under the cap. Signed Inglis and Hannant for next year. Signed Tronc mid-season this year. The players they let go wouldn't have been on much and they have to be replaced with a player on at least $55,000.

Razor

Coach
My comment was directed at your obvious problem with Gasnier not being paid his "true" market value for the remainder of this year.

Even though he doesn't seem to realise that Gasnier is being paid his true market value for the rest of this year.

$120,000 for 9 regular season games. $13,333 a game. Equivalent to $320,000 a year. He hadn't played League for 18 months. If anything the Dragons paid over his market value. His form since his comeback has been equal to a $150,000 a year player.

_Johnsy

Referee
I wonder how many people can remember former Brisbane Bronco director Don NISSEN gave evidence at the corruption trial of Gordon Nuttall that a group of businessman known as the thoroughbreds (they were started & headed by the late Ken Talbot) gave money to Broncos players. He admitted that they had paid players outside the salary cap. This information is on the public record. Not surprisingly when he was required to give evidence in a QLD court of law under oath, he gave the information, when asked if he would comply with the NRL's request to enable an investigation he refused.

Make of that what you will.

Lambretta

First Grade
yeh because we havn't lost many over the last couple of years either. *cough*

Hunt. Taylor. Civeniceva. Carroll. Tate. Ennis. Eastwood. Stagg. Boyd. Moon. Perry.

/phew out of breath.
and also...
this year: Winterstein, Folau, Sims (Ashton & Tariq), Setu, Gorrell, Michaels, Marsh.

19 first grade players in a couple of years.
(not including players who left and came back ie Kemp and Hannant)

amazing how quickly people forget.

Mate, you're forgetting a few. The Broncos lost 13 first grade players at the end of 08 and then at least another 9 last season.

I thought the count was 22. No I havent forgotten.

However, all this talk about Brisbane being under the salary cap is missing the point. We have a competition where Brisbane get an entire City of the most talented players in the Country almost exclusively to themselves and then they get to spend exactly the same as Melbourne who have well...... eerrrr well when they have some players to choose from I'll get back to you.

Gallop keeps crapping on about the salary cap making the competition even, but it's anything but. Certain teams, through history, geography, demographics, juniors, media coverage etc are far more even than others.

The one single area where some parity can be given to disadvantaged clubs is in the cap (due to the fact we dont have a draft) and yet we don't make it smarter.

Brisbane are in a supremely lucky position. Luckier than any other club and well, good on them. They're the rules we play by and it's not their fault if the stack is loaded in their favour.

The latest salary cap concession about allowing players with 8 years service more room in the cap will benefit the Broncos most in the long term purely because they will be able to hold on to all the youngsters they bring through when they reach their peak at 26 years of age. If people are crying foul of the Broncos spending power now, wait a decade. They'll be bawling their f**king eyes out.

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
I am amazed that everyone seems to know exactly what every Broncos player is getting paid. I had thought that information was private and any commentary about it would be pure jealousy-fueled speculation but nope, everyone here seems to know precisely what every Brisbane player has been paid since 1988.

Latest posts