What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gidley/Mullen

roopy

Referee
Just watching last nights game again, and we have our halves combination.
Henry as a backup.
Sell Rogers.
Buy a new fullback.

Johns Magic

Referee
A crying shame they persisted with Dureau for so long. It has cost us our season in the end.

Beau Henry will not be a backup. Gids will go back to fullback.

roopy

Referee
Brilliant - a rookie half cost us this season, so we do the same thing again next year, despite having a halves combination that can do the job.

Henry has had a less impressive junior career than Dureau. All you guys claiming he is the new messiah will be the same guys nailing him to the cross next year.

He is just a rookie who might or might not make the grade.

Rolla

Juniors
You are confusing the word rookie with nuffie re: scotty, he hasnt been a rookie for a long time now. And i don't think Scotty ever won NYC player of the year did he? i could be wrong there. I don't necessarily think throwing him in the deap end straight up will be the way to go, wait and see how he trains and trials but
1. Gids
6. Mullen
7. Henry

Is our ideal long term formation, especially since we dont have another good fullback

Pika

Bench
NYC player of the year as a 19 year old is worth more than every school boy rep team honour you can name.

Rolla

Juniors
Besides didnt you say roop that Scotty was better in NYC than Walsh (hope im not misquoting you)? We are seeing how that is working out every week

Henry as a backup.
Sell Rogers.
Buy a new fullback.

Agree that Kidley and Mullen should stay at halves. That was the first choice that has now worked out.
McDonnel is improving each week at fullback. He's looking for opportunities to inject himself in attack and taking them as well as doing the hard work of helping to get the ball off the line. I think he will work out at fullback.

Rolla

Juniors
I pray Mcdonnel is never anything more than a backup for us. However, while i hope we at least try with Henry, i concede that anyone pleading for Mullen/Gidley has a great case and based on recent weeks it would be a fair call.

Johns Magic

Referee
Brilliant - a rookie half cost us this season, so we do the same thing again next year, despite having a halves combination that can do the job.

Henry has had a less impressive junior career than Dureau. All you guys claiming he is the new messiah will be the same guys nailing him to the cross next year.

He is just a rookie who might or might not make the grade.

Firstly, how did Dureau have a more impressive junior career than Henry? What awards did he win?

Secondly, as you said, Henry may or may not make the grade. If he does it would be great. But Dureau well and truly proved he wasn't up to it.

Just because Dureau is a dud doesn't mean Henry will be.

SaltNVinegar

Juniors
When I first heard we signed Henry I was 100% sure that Henry would be our starting halfback in 2011. But now that we have had this Gidley/Mullen combo for what? Almost 2 months Im starting to think this is a better option. Considering we have won a massive portion of our games recently with them.
We've re-signed Rogers already for 2 years so theres nothing we can do about it now and also its a good idea to have a backup player who has experienced.
McDonnell is off contract next yr also and will likely go if theres a better deal as I highly doubt we will offer much more atm, with De Gois and Mullen off contract who will likely stay where they are on terms of dollars

Johns Magic

Referee
McDonnell is not a first-grade standard fullback, that's the problem.

If he is our first-choice fullback next year...well it wouldn't be very good.

ClintDogg

Juniors
Why every1 thinks Gidley is good IDK.

Get rid of Gidley I say, hes the only 1 who knows whne a play is happening (cause hes in his own world), no1 else on the team.

Henry as a backup.
Sell Rogers.
Buy a new fullback.

Roopy's hatred against imports continues! Gidley a success at halfback indeed, he offers a c+ passing game, D- organising game and C- minus kicking game.

Henry is and will be our halfback for the next 10 years.

And Gids will be a rover at fullback again.

Rolla

Juniors
Roopy's hatred against imports continues! Gidley a success at halfback indeed, he offers a c+ passing game, D- organising game and C- minus kicking game.

He seems to be doing something right mate. You left out his A+ leadership, A+ defence A- running game, A+ energy and motivation. You were also a harsh critic on organising and passing, moreover his short kicking has been good.

Im all for Henry at half but have you seen how well gids is playing and how well he is complimenting mullen? Last nights man of the match, how you can say he hasn't been a success is beyond me.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Lol! I love it how so many people on this forum live in the here and now! Gidley plays a good game at halfback and he is instantly classed as the bloke that should be in that position next year. Against the Roosters last year we moved Gidley to half and Mcdonnell to fullback and we got beaten and everyone on here was saying that Gidley should go back to fullback...

I said years ago that Gidley should move to 5/8 instead of Sean Rudder (which resulted in me copping criticism from a number of posters). I believe that he can handle the halves as his short kicking game is reasonably solid and he has the ability to create things as well as his strong defensive game. However weighing up from what I have seen from Gidley over the years, he should stay at Fullback. Fullback is his best position and that is were he should stay, unless Henry doesn't fire.

Rolla

Juniors
Funny, living in the here and now somehow seems more relevent than living in the past.

I agree, Henry in the halves and gids to fullback, but there is certainly a place for 'living in the now' in league. Players develope or drop off, form rises and falls and circumstances change constantly.

perverse

Referee
Funny, living in the here and now somehow seems more relevent than living in the past.

I agree, Henry in the halves and gids to fullback, but there is certainly a place for 'living in the now' in league. Players develope or drop off, form rises and falls and circumstances change constantly.
yeah, but to say that we should stick with McDonnell at fullback and Gidley at #7 just because Mullen has hit some stellar form with Gidley playing at half is a bloody long bow to draw... particularly when it is at the expense of a bloke who could potentially be a marquee player at the club, versus Shannon McDonnell... who is more or less the definition of a solid backup in his positions.

sure, Gids has played pretty good at halfback, but he plays pretty good anywhere most weeks. Mullen is hitting the sort of form that had him talked about as our big Joey replacement years ago... and yeah i'm sure its not coincidence that Gids is at half allowing that to happen... but the point is any half who takes the pressure off Mullo will most likely have the same effect, with the added bonus of having Gidley there at fullback.

don't confuse Mullen killing it at 5/8th with Gidley killing it at halfback. i think Gids has been adequate at half, but hasn't really done anything that he couldn't have done with the #1 on his back, either. Mullen has just been getting more and more dominant over the past 2 months. i was actually very surprised that Gids got MoM last night over Mullo.

Rolla

Juniors
Perverse my problem isnt with Gidley going to fullback next season, as i have stated i would prefer 7. henry 1. Gidley. My point is that i can see where the opposing opinions are coming from because what we have now is working well. And i believe Gidley in the halves has to be seen as a success during his current venture there. Whether it is through his own quality or the fact it has helped mullen fire is irrelivent to my point

End of the day i like having two strong combo's to chose from rather than the lesser of two evils (Scotty or Dodge)