What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gidley to captain the Blues?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
As I said at the start from the people I’ve spoken to in recent days, including Craig Bellamy and NSW Rugby League officials, put your cash on the Newcastle Knights’ Kurt Gidley. For more on this topic check out MainGame in The Daily Telegraph tomorrow, where Josh Massoud will tackle the issue.
Who will captain the NSW State of Origin team this year following the retirement of Danny Buderus?
It’s the hottest question in rugby league.
For years NSW have had standout choices. Buderus, Andrew Johns, Laurie Daley and Brad Fittler.
This year it’s much harder call.
While the Maroons have stand-out leaders in Darren Lockyer and Cameron Smith, there is no obvious choice.
Or is there?

LINK

So Skeepey, what do you think? ;-)

Raider Azz

Bench
he shouldnt even be guarunteed a position in the team, let alone captain FFS

besides, the referees don't respect him, remember? :lol:

macavity

Referee
Gids will be fullback and captain. :D

didn't you get the memo - you have to play for the Knights to be NSW captain now.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Further to that, can someone who is at home watching it on TV captain over the phone?

Gallen will be captain, and i couldnt be happier.
So you're telling me that Gidley is not in the (at least) top 17 players in NSW? :lol:

Charlie124

First Grade
So you're telling me that Gidley is not in the (at least) top 17 players in NSW? :lol:

He's not the best NSW fullback so unless there are injuries to Stewart and Mini - he wont start there.

He hasnt even cemented his bench spot so the prospect of him being left out isnt exactly far fetched. The selectors could decide to go for any number of other options as the utility off the bench, i doubt they would give the captaincy to a guy who might not even play.

mxlegend99

Referee
Possibly one of the strongest utilities, i wouldnt have expected to see him in the starting line up.
I honestly think he is one of the weaker utilities.

As a starting fullback he is a great player. Anywhere else and he isn't near as effective. If he is in the side, he has to start at fullback.

Eels Dude

Coach
Gidley will be a certainty for the side. Anyone saying Minichiello will be there hasn't been watching football for the past 3 years. Gidley certainly didn't do himself any favours by his rant on the wknd though. If he's captain material he better start showing it. I don't know about Gallen, his brain explosions in last year's origin makes me think he doesnt need extra responsibility. The captain should be someone a bit more level headed, but with most of the spots open for the side this year there is no obvious candidate.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
He's not the best NSW fullback so unless there are injuries to Stewart and Mini - he wont start there.

He hasnt even cemented his bench spot so the prospect of him being left out isnt exactly far fetched. The selectors could decide to go for any number of other options as the utility off the bench, i doubt they would give the captaincy to a guy who might not even play.
He started game 3 ahead of Stewart last year :shock:

Lambretta

First Grade
Robbie Farah will be hooker and will play 80 minutes.

Not a bad choice.

I'm not sure who the 6 & 7 will be for NSW this year

I'd like to see Campese get a run @ 6 - but he's still really green and not captain material yet.

Peter Wallace at halfback would be the natural choice

Gidley will be full back and I'm not a fan of full backs being captains. Personal thing really. Captains should be where the action is most of the time.

Joker's Wild

Coach

You are kidding yourself arnt you

Mini is a mere shadow of the player he used to be and Gids stole Stewarts FB spot for game 3 last year so if you want to get technical he is the incumbent and the job is his to lose.