What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gidley

FastEddie

Juniors
Gidley should be captain of NSW
In a side choc full of spastics, the biggest spastic of them all should be captain
Ennis, Mongahan and Scott should provide some stiff competition though

abpanther

Staff member
I've been ripping Gidley all series, But I have to give him his due, he came on tonight and made a real difference, sparked our attack from dummy half and was involved in both tries.

macnaz

Staff member
Seems a few ppl should get the series tapes out and have a good look at the games again. And then repost who the worst players were.

mxlegend99

Referee
He had a great game and was among our best. Although it's the first time he can come close to making the claim. His position will no doubt be safe with Michael Ennis being among the worst in the field at the same position... despite being a club hooker and "built for origin".

At the moment you would have to imagine a Farah/Gidley hooker rotation is our best bet for next series. Barring injuries are shocking form ofcourse. At any rate... Michael Ennis has to be gone for good.

Serc

First Grade
11 runs for 113m, 1 try assist, 2 line breaks, 2 offloads, 8 tackle breaks, and 22 tackles with none missed in 49 mins spent on the park. (also one really well earned try)

Superb.

(imo) quite rightly has re-assured his place on the bench for Australia, and you'd think on the bench again for NSW next year presuming he retains a reasonable level of form. Oddly enough his club form this year and late last year hasn't really been a spot on his 2007 to early 09 form, but has really picked up for the Knights in the last few weeks, so perhaps tonight wasn't quite as much as a surprise as many would've thought.

perverse

Referee
11 runs for 113m, 1 try assist, 2 line breaks, 2 offloads, 8 tackle breaks, and 22 tackles with none missed in 49 mins spent on the park. (also one really well earned try)

Superb.

(imo) quite rightly has re-assured his place on the bench for Australia, and you'd think on the bench again for NSW next year presuming he retains a reasonable level of form. Oddly enough his club form this year and late last year hasn't really been a spot on his 2007 to early 09 form, but has really picked up for the Knights in the last few weeks, so perhaps tonight wasn't quite as much as a surprise as many would've thought.
you know how big of a believer i am in forward packs, Serc. i don't think it was any surprise at all that when the forwards went forward, Gidley (and others like Hayne) played well. combine that with Gids' increased club form, and he probably also had a bit of a point to prove, i don't think the performance was overly surprising in retrospect either... but i mean lots of things are obvious in retrospect. that performance has been a long time coming for Gids at origin level, and i hope he gets the chance in the #14 at least game 1 next year to see if he can kick on with it. i'm sure he will get the chance... anyones guess if he can kick on with it. i hope he can, for the knighs sake and NSW equally.

Serc

First Grade
Speaking of being a believer in forward packs and providing go forward - NSW's prop stats tonight resembled the Knights prop stats this season - ie: very sh*t.

But I don't mean to rag on about Snowy/Mannah etc...hopefully they continue to play the way they have this year and get a couple of extra shots next year as they have a lot of potential at rep level.

perverse

Referee
Speaking of being a believer in forward packs and providing go forward - NSW's prop stats tonight resembled the Knights prop stats this season - ie: very sh*t.

But I don't mean to rag on about Snowy/Mannah etc...hopefully they continue to play the way they have this year and get a couple of extra shots next year as they have a lot of potential at rep level.
ahhh yes, but both Gallen and Bird laid the platform for NSW in lieu of the props (something the Knights don't have the pleasure of)... and NSW were also very staunch and often stinging and painful in defense in the middle, too. Gallen can play the role of a prop no worries, and he pretty much did. that's something that Zeb and Paterson haven't been stepping up and doing (and i've been critical of).

Mannah just had stuff all time on the field. Snowy went MIA in attack, but was very good in defence up until the Slater try. he'll be better for that run id say. gotta stick with him... because he will only improve from here.

Forty20

First Grade
While earlier criticism was warranted, his game tonight is to be applauded.

I am happy for him to make the No. 14 his own for the next few years. He was all over Cronk and hell, maybe even Smith.

Serc

First Grade
yes, yes and yes re: Gallen, Bird etc....probably what I should've said is that QLD's props have been pumping out good yards at all times, and it is so critical to get that part of your game right.

Big Pete

Referee
His first good rep. performance.

Shame it came when the series was well and truly decided.

Shorty

Staff member
Whoever decided for Gidley to be captain, gave him a massive disservice.
It was almost like the shackles were off on Wednesday.....he's a very dangerous player...probably not starting line up worthy but NSW would have got toweled up had they not had Gidley.

Latest posts