What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gilchrist retires

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
His glove work is getting sloppier. He's made the right call and I respect him for that, but he will be a a huge loss. We might not ever see another one like him.

Haddin is a walk up.

chileman

Coach
Sad to see him go but also good to see him go when he is ready to go, not when he is pushed to go...what a champion of the game, and an excitement machine who I believe is the reason so many still go to test cricket!

Hammershark

Juniors
I think he jumped before he was pushed and I beleive the last keeper to play a test other then Gilly was Seccombe wasn't it?

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
anyone that calls sanga a keeper batsman will rile me. Gilly was a revalation as akeeper batsman, similar to how warne was tothe world of spin, more particurlarly legspin. As a keeper/batsman Sanga was always < Gilly. Once he made the transition to batsman only, he's blossomed. Sanga is a batsman, the current world's best at that... youve got a good up and coming keeperbatsman in prasanna jayawardne.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Sanga was an awesome keeper/batsmen and would still be if he wasn't the best batsmen the island has ever produced. Due to his exceptional batting talent, he has been give the opportunity to focus on one aspect. Sanga is 30 at the moment, his latest batting form could also be put down to being in the peak of his career.

He batted at 3 when he kept,coming in very early in most matches. Gilly on the other hand came in alot when the score was well over 300.

Prassanna Jayawardene is not an "up and coming player" he has been around awhile now. He is arguably the best gloveman in the world, but his batting has alot to be desired. The best young batsmen in the country Kaushal Silva, is also a keeper and will take Jayawardene's spot very soon i hope.

icewind

Juniors
spot on, faranheit. I would dare say had gilly given up the gloves a couple of years ago, his batting average would have stayed in the 50s. Keeping just takes so much focus, and for gilly to be as successful as he has been as a keeper/batsman is phenomonal.

i doubt the new keeper will be left field, as today keepers need to be decent batsmen as well, so the chances of us pulling a Healy is pretty small.

OVP

Coach
Cya later Gilly. Thanx for all the truly wonderful memories. You'll never be forgotten or bettered.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Panther_Daz said:
Sanga was an awesome keeper/batsmen and would still be if he wasn't the best batsmen the island has ever produced. Due to his exceptional batting talent, he has been give the opportunity to focus on one aspect. Sanga is 30 at the moment, his latest batting form could also be put down to being in the peak of his career.

He batted at 3 when he kept,coming in very early in most matches. Gilly on the other hand came in alot when the score was well over 300.

Prassanna Jayawardene is not an "up and coming player" he has been around awhile now. He is arguably the best gloveman in the world, but his batting has alot to be desired. The best young batsmen in the country Kaushal Silva, is also a keeper and will take Jayawardene's spot very soon i hope.

on the same token, Vs many poor opposition Gilly never got a chance... because the batsman had already cashed in, and even against moderate teams gilly never got the chances to make big 100s that Sanga did. So the "he batted at 3" take it out of the equation. How many times does gilly come in at 400/5 and the team just needs a quick 50 instead of 200... on many of those occasions he couldv'e gone on. There are alot of disadvantages batting at 7. Also, whilst gilly and sanga were BOTH keeper batsman, Gilly was by far and away the best of the 2. Everyone who thinks otherwise maybe slightly confused because of Sanga's form since he gave up the gloves.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Batting at 3 after keeping for 100 overs is alot harder than batting at 7 after doing the same. Don't try and suggest otherwise.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting comments from Gilly on Foxsports this morning

He knew when he dropped Laxman on day one of the 4th test, it was time to go

JJ

Immortal
Sad to see Gilchrist go - easily the greatest keeper/batsman of all time :clap: wonderful player, wonderful career :clap: - very lucky to have seen a lot of him.

JJ

Immortal
HevyDevy said:
JJ!

I thought you'd died or something

Summer holidays - we've had almost Australian like weather here... and of course no cricket - now the Poms are here no doubt the rain will return :(

Shame to see Gilchrist shelling so many at the end, but he's the best ever, not a shadow of doubt about it

Pensacola Q.C

Juniors
A great team player and a great entertainer. No matter the situation he would do the job for the team. That usually meant scoring fast which suited his natural game but when the time called for it, he could rein it in and look very solid. Easy to underrate his glovework after seeing him in recent matches but a very good keeper both standing back and up.

Thanks Gilly.

Red Bear

Referee
Haddin is probly a better batsmen than gilly technically not as explosive but he'll be a fairly good replacement, especially of the gilchrist of the last few years

JJ

Immortal
yeah, a pretty bloody good replacement - Aust won't lose a whole lot despite Gilchrist being the best there has been

ozbash

Referee
JJ said:
Sad to see Gilchrist go - easily the greatest keeper/batsman of all time :clap: wonderful player, wonderful career :clap: - very lucky to have seen a lot of him.

same here, fantastic sportsman and a privelidge to watch the guy in action.

wish him well.

Latest posts