What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gilchrist retires

lockyno1

Post Whore
JW said:
Did you object to the inclusion of old-timers Hussey and Clark?

We talking about batsmen and bowlers or are we talking about keepers. Gilly was 28 when he debuted, Haddin will be 30, that is 2 years older and you do gradully get worse as you get older. I still view the keeper should be in their 20's. Bowlers and batsmen can get away with being 30 as they don't have as busy a schedule- keepers have to concentrate all game and it is the most taxing of all positions on the field.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Marshall_magic said:
the 2005 Ashes team is nearly gone

Langer-Jaques
Hayden-Hayden
Ponting-Ponting
Martyn-Hussey
Clarke-Clarke
Katich-Symonds
Gilly-Haddin
Warne-Hogg
Lee-Lee
Dizzy-Johnson
Pigeon-Clark

4 left, which by the 09 Ashes series will probably be 3 (Haydos will retire soon)

Hayden wants to play in the next Ashes and seeing as there are no openers really pushing him, he'll get that chance!

JB

Juniors
Great news from a Kiwi's or any other international team fans perspective.

Gilchrest, probably more than any other batsman of the Aussie line up over the years was the guy you wanted to see the back of as quick as possible.
One felt, even if Aussie was chasing 340+ no score was ungetable if Gilchrest fired.
Truly terrorised opening attacks all over the world, such a sweet timer and clean striker.

Made me laugh the criticsim he's had of late. Any other international team would give anything for someone of his talent.

Warne, McGrath, Langer, Martyn, Gilchrest....Australia slowly being pulled back to the pack maybe?

Gilchrest - great player, great talent.

lockyno1

Post Whore
JB said:
Warne, McGrath, Langer, Martyn, Gilchrest....Australia slowly being pulled back to the pack maybe?

Maybe, doubt it though. Apart from India and I'll give you South Africa even with Muppet as captain..which teams will push us? None really. Plus after this series we don't have a pie chucker like Hogg in our lineup!

mightybears

Bench
blain said:
who was the last wicket keeper to play a test for oz other than gilly?

great career.

Healy 1988 to 1999
Gilly 1999 to 2008

so with the exception of fabulous Phil Emery v Pakistan in 1994?, we have had two test keepers in 20 years, as opposed to the 4 that had a crack in the 1980's between Marsh and Heals [Rixon- who first got the gig in the late 70's during WSC, Woolley, Zoehrer and Dyer].

JB

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Maybe, doubt it though. Apart from India and I'll give you South Africa even with Muppet as captain..which teams will push us? None really. Plus after this series we don't have a pie chucker like Hogg in our lineup!

Yeah, Aus definitely still number 1. But before it used to be a team had to be at it's absolute best and Australia to have an off day to have any chance of victory it seemed.

Now though, i'm not sure if it's that way. While Australia have still kept up a pretty impressive record since the Warne/McGrath retirements and the replacement players while good players, definitely dont inspire fear the way they used to.

mightybears

Bench
Zoehrer was pretty good.
i think gilly would need 200 plus not out if he wants to end with an average of fifty!

lockyno1

Post Whore
JB said:
Yeah, Aus definitely still number 1. But before it used to be a team had to be at it's absolute best and Australia to have an off day to have any chance of victory it seemed.

Now though, i'm not sure if it's that way. While Australia have still kept up a pretty impressive record since the Warne/McGrath retirements and the replacement players while good players, definitely dont inspire fear the way they used to.

I agree, but my point remains that Australia still will romp most sides. I think the big difference is that you will barely see any 3 day thrashings- more wins after 4/5 days rather than 3. That is where the difference will come. Also post Macgill will be our biggest test.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
if he by some miracle gets like 150no. e.g.

Ponting better open with him 2nd inns :)fist: if there's an easy victory or no chance of one)

On Foxsports they are saying he is playing his last test but will play in the CB series then retire from all forms of cricket.

griffo346

First Grade
yeh Mr F he will go play IAL as all the retired greats have and who knows we may see him in beach cricket next summer :lol: