What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Go ahead!...ask us anything!

V

Vertigo

Almost everytime I click onto a new link, instead of the page opening up completely on top of the one I'm viewing, it appears at the very top of my page and I have to hit the "square" to enlargen it. Why is this? Why will the whole page not open as a new one?
This happens everytime I click onto a link that someone has pastedthrough a Community.
Any suggestions please?
V.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You're using IE and you have to maximise the new window after it appears. I actually dont worry about it but it might be worth checking out your browser preferences.... you should look for any option which refers to maximising or minimising your browser window. Perhaps someone else has already tried this out.

S

SpaceMonkey

Re: Kazaa, Diet Kazaa, Grokster etc, it's always worth running Ad-Aware after you install any of these to junk the spyware components. In fact its a good idea to run Ad Aware regularly anyway.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Vertigo:

I think I might have an easy straight forward solution to your 'maximise' problem - referring to opening new browser windows offcourse.
emdgust.gif

I was just opening up new windows and instead of clicking on the maximise box, I dragged the borders out wider. This is done by holding your mouse cursor over the borders of the window, clickholding and then expanding the window by dragging. This can be done vertically as well as horizontally.

The next time I opened a targeted window (thats what they're called when a fresh window opens), the new browser was as large as before. Don't know yet if it stays that way after re-booting.

I knew about this but forgot until just now. It should solve things.

V

Vertigo

A gentleman as always Willow. Thank you mate.
If I could, I'd shout you...

...for all the help you have provided to me and others here. Maybe one day mate.
Cheers. :)
V.

Great thread this one!
Just noticed something while reading over old posts. This Chat Community has a lot of deleted posts. Heaps actually.Moreso than I've seen anywhere else. Why is that?
Anyway, when a post is deleted by the writer or a moderator, can that deletion notice that one can see be removed completely from the thread? So that this message - This message has been deleted by the author.- cannot be seen?
Visually it would make it that much more appealing. I'm a newbie here and as it now stands, some discussions (especially in the boxing room) look really "ugly" not to mention loosing track of the discussion. Some take dramatic turns within just a few posts, and makes one wonder "Huh?"
I know deletions are there as an option for us all, but are some abusing them?
I'm just wondering... :D

O

ozbash

this forum is inhabited by a bunch of very fussy people at times grubrunner. often if a reply is not quite how they planned it, some of them delete and do it again.
a couple of members got the shits and left, taking their threads with them which is a shame.

moderator-wise, i think maybe half a dozen threads/replys have been canned. they are all by bored kids and the culprits usually pack up and go.

the fact that this forum is basically self moderating has a lot to do with it.

the question has been raised before and a lot of us have become a bit more careful with our text etc before we hit send...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think Grubrunner is referring to the mass warlock deletions. I understand that he made a number of posts and deleted them - just someone exercising their litterbugs rights I think.

The only thing the managers can see is the name of the deleter, that is, we know who made the initial post.

For example:

<table border=1 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="100%"> <tbody> <tr class=ThmBgAlternate> <td align=middle background=http://sc.communities.msn.com/themes/pby/img/mb/reply_bg.gif nowrap><a target=_top>Reply</a>
c.gif
</td> <td width="100%"> <table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td>
recommend.gif
0 recommendations </td> <td align=right>Message 26 of 26 in Discussion </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr class=ThmBgHighlightLight> <td colspan=2 width="100%"> <table border=0 cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td nowrap width="100%">From: ozbash</td> <td nowrap>Sent: 4/12/2002 5:30 AM</td></tr></tbody></table> <table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0 class=ThmBgStandard width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td>This message has been deleted by the manager or assistant manager.</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
As you see from the above example, a fussy manager has deleted his own post.... oh, its Ozbash. ;)

Nine times out of 10, a message that has been deleted by management is simply a manager deleting their own posts.

A member deleting their own post is the same except the words'manager or assistant manager' is replaced by the word 'author'. Once again, a manager /assistant manager can see the name.

Unfortunately Grubruuner, we have no control over the leftovers.
If you delete a thread, the red lettering replaces it. The forum program doesn't allow managersto erase the leftover shell.

C

CanadianSteve

moderator-wise, i think maybe half a dozen threads/replys have been canned. they are all by bored kids and the culprits usually pack up and go. - Ozbash

Have many entire threads been deleted by mods? If that happens, there is no leftover, is that right?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thats right Steve...To my knowledge its happened about3 or 4 times since the forums started about 18months ago. Its very rare.

C

CanadianSteve

Willow: re your earlier discussion with Ozbash and Grubrunner. You say that you managers can see who posted a post even after it's been deleted, as you showed in #611. Can managers also see or tell which other manager did the deletion?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No, we cant see who made the deletion but usually its another managers post so its pretty obvious, for example, that Ozbash deleted his own post.

If a member's post is deleted by a manager or assistant manager its usually preceded or followed up by some explanation so everyone knows. If there is no explanation...its usually self explanatory or not worth worrying about... like it might be just a formatting problem...a post that went technically wrong.

V

Vertigo

Outlaw, Re your question onmessage 586.
I've hunted it down and typed it out for you. Here goes:
Q: Is the .44 Magnum still "the most powerfull handgun in the world"?
A: Not even close --- but who's gonna argue when one's pointed at your unlucky punk face?
A bullet's clock-cleaning power is called muzzle energy, and it's measured in foot-pounds. The .44 Magnum packs more than 1,000 ft-lbs, or enough power to move a 1,000-pound object one foot. Back in 1971, whe Dirty Harry Callahan made his famousclaim, the .44 was in fact considered the most powerful mass-produced gun in the world.
These days, however the .454 Casull revolver generates 1,560 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. The good folks at gun manufacturer Taurus actually found this out whilst hunting 400-pound boars. It took five slugs from the Big Daddy .44 Magnum to take down Porky, whereas the Big Momma .454 Casull did the same job with one single Elmer Fuddian blast!
If you wanna go custom though, the SSK Industries' T/C Contendor hand cannon (specially provided for the British SAS and US Navy Seals only) blows both those guns away. This beast' .45 - to .70-caliber government issue catridges pack 2,237 ft-lbs of torso-tunneling energy!
As the good folks at SSK Industries say: "If you can't kill someone-something with that, then it simply ain't suppose to die."

<u>Off Topic</u> : This is my last post for a couple of months or so. I'm flying home to Sydney on the weekend to spend the Christmas and the New Year period with my family. I'll take this early opportunity to whish all those here and their immediatefamilies and friendsthe happiest Christmas and asafe and prosperous New 2003Year.
Thanks to LWOS for another memorable year.
Regards: V.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Same to you Vertigo...
Happy Xmas and New Year to you and yours... look forward toyour posts in 2003 :)