What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

Perth Red

Post Whore
Where did you get that info on Man united? I am pretty sure their TV and sponsorship revenue dwarfs their gate takings. They rake in 200 million a year from TV revenue.

Their revenue is around 600mill. Tv is 200 mill of that. The other 400mill includes massive game day revenue, merchandise sales and sponsorship which is directly influenced by their massive fanbase. You’d have to have rocks in your head to suggest fanbase isn’t a significant source of revenue and can be substantially more than the money for tv for clubs. Pretty much 75% of afl clubs earn significantly more from fans than they do tv. But we are too lazy to do anything about it so clubs keep pleading poverty or getting into financial trouble whilst the stadiums remain half empty.

mongoose

Coach
Their revenue is around 600mill. Tv is 200 mill of that. The other 400mill includes massive game day revenue, merchandise sales and sponsorship which is directly influenced by their massive fanbase. You’d have to have rocks in your head to suggest fanbase isn’t a significant source of revenue and can be substantially more than the money for tv for clubs. Pretty much 75% of afl clubs earn significantly more from fans than they do tv. But we are too lazy to do anything about it so clubs keep pleading poverty or getting into financial trouble whilst the stadiums remain half empty.

Gate and matchday income £110m; TV and broadcasting, £204m; commercial income, £276m

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

Gate and Matchday is helpful but far from their biggest source of revenue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gate and matchday income £110m; TV and broadcasting, £204m; commercial income, £276m

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

Gate and Matchday is helpful but far from their biggest source of revenue.

Like I said merch is worth 102mill of That commercial income and sponsorship comes from having fan exposure, buying a corporate box at old Trafford isn’t cheap and sponsors want to be sponsors because they get exposed to a massive fanbase and want to wine and dine their customers in a full stadium. To say fans dont matter to club revenue and somehow a club can thrive with no one attending games is the debate, and it’s plainly stupid given how much money can be earnt from growing attendances.

In this country it’s even more important as the tv deals aren’t paying clubs much compared to what can be earnt by increasing the committed fanbase.

siv

First Grade
You will find it hard to grow crowds when the NRL / TV schedules blockbuster games on Thursday night's or 6pm Friday as it has been proven that 10-15k stay away and watch the game on TV

Only Newcastle 6pm defies this trend

Perth Red

Post Whore
You will find it hard to grow crowds when the NRL / TV schedules blockbuster games on Thursday night's or 6pm Friday as it has been proven that 10-15k stay away and watch the game on TV

Agreed, its a balancing act between the NRL earning enough from TV to give clubs a grant of $13mill and not creating scenarios that put fans off attending games. Partly is KO time. Thursday should kick off at 7pm. Most Friday 6pm games should be held in NZ, NRL should have had a strategy to support Warriors to host all their games on a Friday night and to support at least 5 or 6 sydney relocated games in other parts of NZ during the year. That takes up 18 Friday 6pm slots. Give the rest to Newcastle, Canberra and Gold Coast.

Next tv deal Id offer FTA Saturday night instead of Thursday and move the Friday 6pm to Sunday 6pm. Simucast could work if we got over our every game live mentality.

Something like

Friday 7:30pm Live FTA & delayed on Fox
Friday 7:30pm Live Fox & delayed FTA

Saturday 2pm Fox
Saturday 4pm Fox
Saturday 7pm FTA & Fox

Sunday 2pm Fox
Sunday 4pm FTA & Fox
Sunday 6pm Fox1 & Fox2 (simucast games with 9th expansion game)

Stallion

First Grade

Maybe Parramatta (WSS) at 6pm Friday has also bucked the trend too?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/so...n/news-story/6c2b6fb9ff408aa44209251419b84136

John Singleton says the Central Coast is still crying out for an NRL license and he says that the financial insecurity of some of the Sydney clubs could see them relocated to the region.
The entrepreneur sat down with Matty Johns on his podcast for a one-on-one chat about life, sport, business and meeting everyone from Bob Hawke, Jack Gibson to Nelson Mandela.

Stream every match of the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership Finals Series before the Grand Final Live & On-Demand on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Singleton had previously attempted to establish a team there with Greg Florimo in 2006 before the NRL opted to expand to the Gold Coast via the Titans.

And he says the area remains ripe for a team in the top grade despite getting knocked back by the Titans and previous attempts to relocate a Sydney club.

“Nothing is ever going to work there, league has had eight, ten goes,” Singleton said of the Gold Coast.

“They had no money and no stadium, and we did have a stadium built for North Sydney. And was a year late, that’s all. And we had a $50 million bank guarantee, so we would have been strong.

“It made sense to relocate one of the Sydney teams to the Central Coast.

“We went really close to having the Redfern express up to the Central Coast and then along came Russell Crowe and Jimmy Packer, that buggered that.

The Sharks were going to go, so we went close getting teams to relocate there because we had so much money. Souths was the closest.

“We had the players and the lifestyle on the Central Coast once you get people up there they go: ‘wow, how good’s this’. I can live on the beach.”

Asked if he was still prepared to get involved in the game, Singleton joked: “I’m still ready to play” before warning a Central Coast side remains a possibility.

“I still love it, I think it’s the best game to watch.

“You never know what’s going to happen. I can’t see any involvement, but I’m still living on the Central Coast, still got a ground.

“Somebody might go broke, and now we’re in the position we could afford to run a team.”

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/so...n/news-story/6c2b6fb9ff408aa44209251419b84136

John Singleton says the Central Coast is still crying out for an NRL license and he says that the financial insecurity of some of the Sydney clubs could see them relocated to the region.
The entrepreneur sat down with Matty Johns on his podcast for a one-on-one chat about life, sport, business and meeting everyone from Bob Hawke, Jack Gibson to Nelson Mandela.

Stream every match of the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership Finals Series before the Grand Final Live & On-Demand on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Singleton had previously attempted to establish a team there with Greg Florimo in 2006 before the NRL opted to expand to the Gold Coast via the Titans.

And he says the area remains ripe for a team in the top grade despite getting knocked back by the Titans and previous attempts to relocate a Sydney club.

“Nothing is ever going to work there, league has had eight, ten goes,” Singleton said of the Gold Coast.

“They had no money and no stadium, and we did have a stadium built for North Sydney. And was a year late, that’s all. And we had a $50 million bank guarantee, so we would have been strong.

“It made sense to relocate one of the Sydney teams to the Central Coast.

“We went really close to having the Redfern express up to the Central Coast and then along came Russell Crowe and Jimmy Packer, that buggered that.

The Sharks were going to go, so we went close getting teams to relocate there because we had so much money. Souths was the closest.

“We had the players and the lifestyle on the Central Coast once you get people up there they go: ‘wow, how good’s this’. I can live on the beach.”

Asked if he was still prepared to get involved in the game, Singleton joked: “I’m still ready to play” before warning a Central Coast side remains a possibility.

“I still love it, I think it’s the best game to watch.

“You never know what’s going to happen. I can’t see any involvement, but I’m still living on the Central Coast, still got a ground.

“Somebody might go broke, and now we’re in the position we could afford to run a team.”

Makes sense - relocation is the only way that the Central Coast will get a team. It makes no sense to add yet another NSW club to the NRL.

aarondoyle

Juniors
On grand final day, they had Greenberg in Triple M talking about, amongst other things, expansion. He said there'd be an announcement next great on the area they're looking at. Those others can then stop spending money for nothing. When asked about the Bears, he said he could basically put them out of their misery now.

jim_57

Staff member
On grand final day, they had Greenberg in Triple M talking about, amongst other things, expansion. He said there'd be an announcement next great on the area they're looking at. Those others can then stop spending money for nothing. When asked about the Bears, he said he could basically put them out of their misery now.

He should give them a subtle hint to start building ties with Adelaide, Christchurch or Wellington.

jim_57

Staff member
Maybe a second Auckland team would be good. Auckland Bears.

Not the worst idea in my eyes. Auckland has 4× the amount of people as Christchurch or Wellington. If it isn't the 2nd it should be the 3rd NZ team if we ever get that far.

Creating an unofficial north/south divide could work with Warriors playing in the South at Mt Smart and a new team playing at North Harbour stadium. I don't know enough about NZ/Auckland to convince myself it's a bulletproof idea but it has merit.

From Auckland you also have Hamilton the 4th largest city 100kms away which could be used for a couple of games a year.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'm yet to see any evidence that there's actually any significant demand for a second club in Auckland, but what would I know I guess.

If there is demand then maybe it's an option, but if there isn't then it's more likely then not that putting a second club in Auckland would only split the Warriors fan-base, which is a terrible idea, and lets be honest for a second, it's not as if the Warriors are going great guns, I mean they've been though about 3-4 owners in the last 5 or so years right (?). Sure the direct competition could make them, but it could also break them.

There's also a good chance that you'd piss off fans from outside of Auckland, which wouldn't be a good idea either.

Basically, I wouldn't be against the idea in theory, but it'd probably be a very risky venture.

wain

Juniors
I'm yet to see any evidence that there's actually any significant demand for a second club in Auckland, but what would I know I guess.

If there is demand then maybe it's an option, but if there isn't then it's more likely then not that putting a second club in Auckland would only split the Warriors fan-base, which is a terrible idea, and lets be honest for a second, it's not as if the Warriors are going great guns, I mean they've been though about 3-4 owners in the last 5 or so years right (?). Sure the direct competition could make them, but it could also break them.

There's also a good chance that you'd piss off fans from outside of Auckland, which wouldn't be a good idea either.

Basically, I wouldn't be against the idea in theory, but it'd probably be a very risky venture.
yeah, not a fan either. I dont think we need to follow the AFL footprint of 2 teams per city. There is only a few big cities worldwide in global leagues that can command 2 big teams.
Its the same as talk about adding another Melbourne team IMO.

flippikat

Bench

An announcement when? Did you mean next month?

Perth Red

Post Whore
mayb the nrl could come up wth something that is attractive to nz tv and helps here ie every Friday 6pm Friday game (aest) is played in NZ. That way fta could lock in that time slot for fta coverage and know it will feature 12 warriors games plus say another 6-10 games the nrl supports to be played in nz by other teams. Spreads the game in nz, grows interest in the gam in one of the codes most important nurseries and starts to lay the platform for future expansion.

Reactions: Vee

jim_57

Staff member

Like I said I don't know enough about it to be convinced but it isn't the worst idea. I'd still favour a C'church or Wellington and would have to be convinced otherwise. A 2nd Auckland team would probably be dependant on the Warriors going gangbusters some time soon, even then you would risk splitting the fan base.

I guess it's somewhat comparable to Southern QLD, would we have been better off going with a 2nd Brisbane team in 2007 instead of Gold Coast? In hindsight maybe, although Titans have been very poorly managed which you can't entirely blame the NRL for.

Latest posts