What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

Dogs Of War

Coach
Fitzy sorts it out:
Bears to return to North Sydney Oval to attract the yuppie demographic - a no brainer

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/no...-the-nrl-s-new-franchise-20200219-p542es.html

The part of the article that surprised me is "That, and the fact the NRL has already announced it will be expanding with a new franchise in 2023"

Have they done this? Cause you think there would be a lot more fanfare if this was going to happen. The articles I can find is that if they resurrect the bears, they will be based in Brisbane.

mongoose

Coach
Originally there were roughly 8 brl clubs
Then the statewide clubs came later on
Scorpions had merged with Souths Magpies.
View attachment 36213 View attachment 36214 View attachment 36210 View attachment 36215

If i had to pick one to represent another Brisbane side it would probably be the Devils
But the colors are pretty much GC Titans colors, maybe go Orange, Red and Purple

If it's between North and South then they should be going South side.
1. Broncos are already based on North side
2. South side has a larger population and has more unused greenspace for development.
3. Not that it's of major importance but Southside would have more PI's.
4. I think Southside has better transport links and less clogged up roads too, i'm a northsider though so I don't know for certain...

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I'm pretty sure I was the guy that introduced you to the name.

Maybe it wasn't you, but I was talking to somebody when old BRL names came up and I mentioned seeing it mentioned in Our Game (great book by the way, I highly recommend it) and they made me look it up and find it.
Could have. I know it was last year some time... Either way its not a bad concept and introduces a new brand whilst also having a history to attach itself to the city/Brisbane fringes.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
It was also a Circus ground at one point wasn't it?

Maybe the Cemetery Siders are destine to rise again, or the Brisbane Clowns, either or.
Hahahahaha would be an interesting slogan "The Cemetry-siders will rise from the dead".

I though Suncorp still was a circus with the clowns they have playing there at the moment.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
If it's between North and South then they should be going South side.
1. Broncos are already based on North side
2. South side has a larger population and has more unused greenspace for development.
3. Not that it's of major importance but Southside would have more PI's.
4. I think Southside has better transport links and less clogged up roads too, i'm a northsider though so I don't know for certain...
Only issue with that is that there is already another NRL licence south of Brisbane that is only an hour away. Throwing another one south would be suicide or murder of one of those clubs. If anything I feel the licence should either go North or West of Brisbane.... or Northwest.... Northwest Bulls maybe.... Both Northern and Western Brisbane are growing populations in the SEQLD region. Establish something out those ways while the population is growing bigger and people can become associated with it by virtue of the region and grow up with it in times to come.

flippikat

Bench
Fitzy sorts it out:
Bears to return to North Sydney Oval to attract the yuppie demographic - a no brainer

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/no...-the-nrl-s-new-franchise-20200219-p542es.html

No. No. And again NO.

We don't need any more NRL teams in NSW., and expecting Brisbane to accept a transplanted Sydney brand would be insulting to that city.

The only ways I'd be happy to see the Bears back are as an expansion team outside NSW/Qld (if Perth Adelaide or NZ 2 really don't mind taking the Bears as the price of admission into the NRL - though I'd prefer they be allowed come up with their own brand), or *at a stretch* replacing another NSW club that goes under/merges/relocates interstate (a "zero sum" result for NSW - one drops off, one comes in).

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Only issue with that is that there is already another NRL licence south of Brisbane that is only an hour away. Throwing another one south would be suicide or murder of one of those clubs. If anything I feel the licence should either go North or West of Brisbane.... or Northwest.... Northwest Bulls maybe.... Both Northern and Western Brisbane are growing populations in the SEQLD region. Establish something out those ways while the population is growing bigger and people can become associated with it by virtue of the region and grow up with it in times to come.

Do you mean the Titans? they have their own catchment of 600k people, plus people in northern NSW. They are not a south Brisbane team anyway.

I don't know what the split is between North and South Brisbane but the area south of the river is a lot bigger and I imagine has a significantly bigger population. Ideally you want a Brisbane team that engages the whole city but I think they should base themselves South of the river.

Why would you have a team in the Northwest? that is where the Broncos HQ is, inner northwest.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
The Brisbane Bears concept will work. It’s simple really.

Queenslanders love their own and a marketing campaign around a Billy Moore, Ben Iken, Gary Larson and co will be embraced.
“NSW didn’t want them but we’ll take ‘em because we are the figure heads”. We were the Bears heart and soul”:bulb:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I see no value to any city taking the bears brand. It’s nothing more than playing to the nostalgia of a few 50plus year old journalists in reality.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nothing wrong with nostalgia. It’s very bankable and marketable

It really isn’t, ask Holden or CD makers. It’s niche to a few old timers, just like the Bears brand. I see them offering nothing to Brisbane but division and problems as the NS LC would still expect some % of ownership.

T-Boon

Coach
It really isn’t, ask Holden or CD makers. It’s niche to a few old timers, just like the Bears brand. I see them offering nothing to Brisbane but division and problems as the NS LC would still expect some % of ownership.

Brisbane Bears would be great. The colours work. It is a great animal. These negatives you are talking about just aren't going to matter much to people.

Perth Red

Post Whore
CD makers would have made a fortune off love of old brands like the Beatles and such.

“would have” being the key tense ie in the past, time has gone, no longer of value, lost relevance, unwanted. Bit like the Bears.
Why would any Bid team in Brisbane want to take on a old nsw brand with potential joint ownership problems? Why would the nrl give the Brisbane license to a NSW cup LC to be based in a different state? Not going to happen. Only hope Bears would have is if the NRL one day got as ballsy as the 90’s ARL and had a major expansion plan, then either the CC or a Adelaide Bears may be an opportunity.

Latest posts