What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

The Great Dane

First Grade
Nothing wrong with nostalgia. It’s very bankable and marketable

Almost everybody from Brisbane that is old enough to have nostalgia for the Bears is old enough to have nostalgia for the old BRL teams.

Now taking all that history and baggage into consideration, think about how it would come off to the people from Brisbane when you tried to lump them with Sydney's sloppy seconds. You'd basically be saying to them that A. Sydney's history is more important and valuable than Brisbane's, and B. that this second Brisbane team was really about resurrecting the Bears and not about giving them a team of their own.

Only the most ignorant people who think everything revolves around Sydney would ever think that relocating the Bears to Brisbane is a good idea.

RedVee

First Grade
I always liked the Diehards name. Was intrigued by it anyway.

Brisbane Diehards sounds alright. Are Valleys still kicking?

jim_57

Staff member
I see no value to any city taking the bears brand. It’s nothing more than playing to the nostalgia of a few 50plus year old journalists in reality.

Yehp. If the Bears want to put in the hard work somewhere like Adelaide or NZ then it may be worth considering. Just tacking them on to wherever the NRL wants a team would be nothing but a nostalgia trip.

The Great Dane

First Grade
NRL-Expansion-Response.jpg

The Bears are making noise again.

Over 200k Bears Fans my arse.

flippikat

Bench
NRL-Expansion-Response.jpg

The Bears are making noise again.

Translation:

1 - We can't get excited. We got excited before, and the time before that, and when we were moving to Gosford in the 1990s. Look where that got us - disappointment and heartbreak. We don't get excited anymore. Nothing to be excited about.

2 - If the NRL gives expansion any chance, we'll be very keen then. And we'll work with anyone who's as keen as us. ANYONE. Would anyone like to work with us? We'll do anything. ANYTHING. We'll consider Central Coast, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Wellington, Christchurch.. heck anywhere! #OMGCANTHISREALLYBEHAPPENING #SOEXCITED

3 - We sincerely believe we can bring as much riches to the NRL as Dubai. Honest. And lots of fans, dormant fans. They will all rise from their footy slumber. Promise.

mongoose

Coach
Bears best chance is if the NRL needs a quick fix club to fulfill the TV contract, that means another team would have to go belly up. Or they could look at partnering with the 2nd Brisbane team but I don't see any Brisbane bids wanting that and I think the Bears are determined to play out of the CC.

flippikat

Bench
Bears best chance is if the NRL needs a quick fix club to fulfill the TV contract, that means another team would have to go belly up. Or they could look at partnering with the 2nd Brisbane team but I don't see any Brisbane bids wanting that and I think the Bears are determined to play out of the CC.

I agree their best chance is a "quick fix" replacement for a broke existing NRL club, but if they wanna be proactive in a non-deathriding way, get into Adelaide somehow.

I have serious doubts that Brisbane will accept a transplanted Sydney brand, now that bid syndicates are forming their own identities.. and I firmly believe that the Central Coast is being kept vacant by the NRL as a relocation location for an existing Sydney club. NRLWA has put a lot of work into their Pirates brand, so there's not much chance there.. so why not Adelaide?

Sure, it's a long term proposition, but if the Bears seriously want a route back...

Reflector

Juniors
Call me overly optimistic but I don't see how the Bears couldn't come back, playing out of Gosford, locking up the entire North Shore + CC for corporate backing and juniors and enter the NRL with 3 other teams.

The ARL made a bold move 25 years ago with 4 new teams (at a time before budget airfares) and it might've worked had Superleague not turned the game upside down at that exact moment. You could have the Bears, Perth and 1 or 2 of the prospective Qld bids. Would be a bold statement from the games' powerbrokers about our future.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Call me overly optimistic but I don't see how the Bears couldn't come back, playing out of Gosford, locking up the entire North Shore + CC for corporate backing and juniors and enter the NRL with 3 other teams.

The ARL made a bold move 25 years ago with 4 new teams (at a time before budget airfares) and it might've worked had Superleague not turned the game upside down at that exact moment. You could have the Bears, Perth and 1 or 2 of the prospective Qld bids. Would be a bold statement from the games' powerbrokers about our future.
Overly optimistic is an understatement considering that the Bears gave up on the CC bid and folded it.

The CC isn't big enough to support an NRL team on it's own, so the team would be reliant on Sydney for support and sponsorship money to be sustainable, and the last thing that the NRL needs is more pressure put on the Sydney market.

On top of that, all the competition for an NRL license comes from much bigger and more densely populated markets, that are significantly more valuable, and the NRL would be mad to choose a CC club over a Brisbane, Perth, or Adelaide club in the current climate.
It'd be choosing to massively undersell the game because of misplaced nostalgia.

Reflector

Juniors
The CC isn't big enough to support an NRL team on it's own, so the team would be reliant on Sydney for support and sponsorship money to be sustainable, and the last thing that the NRL needs is more pressure put on the Sydney market.

From what I've seen, the Bears are interested in any expansion talk and would be open to relocating outside NSW to have an NRL presence again. At the same time, there is no NRL presence between the north side of the Harbour Bridge and Lake Macquarie- combined those areas have over 1 million people, are home to some of the richest business districts in Australia and (on the CC) is a growth area. Should the Bears be able to move to the CC, you have the support and sponsorship money from the Bears/ North Shore which is an area with zero NRL representation, equalling no pressure on the rest of the Sydney market.

It's possible to have expansion into those new areas you mentioned AND lock up the North Shore/ CC areas. I don't see why we should have to choose between one or the other. My only issue is with shitty bids with major holes in them getting admitted to the NRL simply because they're in the "right" area i.e the Bombers bid.

Reactions: siv

flippikat

Bench
Overly optimistic is an understatement considering that the Bears gave up on the CC bid and folded it.

Spot on. If I was NRL CEO, and had to do a "1995 V2.0" (ie a grand expansion that takes us from 16 to 20 clubs), I'd select either Jagera or Firehawks as team 17, then West Coast Pirates as team 18..

...then teams 19 and 20 would probably be two out of NZ2, Adelaide & Redcliffe (in that order of preference) - with Sydney clubs on notice that if they fail, the expansion market that missed out gets their place.

The Great Dane

First Grade
From what I've seen, the Bears are interested in any expansion talk and would be open to relocating outside NSW to have an NRL presence again. At the same time, there is no NRL presence between the north side of the Harbour Bridge and Lake Macquarie- combined those areas have over 1 million people, are home to some of the richest business districts in Australia and (on the CC) is a growth area. Should the Bears be able to move to the CC, you have the support and sponsorship money from the Bears/ North Shore which is an area with zero NRL representation, equalling no pressure on the rest of the Sydney market.
Firstly, are we just going to pretend that Manly doesn't exist anymore?

Secondly, that area of over 1 million people isn't a contiguous area, it's multiple disparate regions and towns that don't really consider themselves one big group.
The people from Lake Macquarie aren't going to be more inclined to support a team from North Sydney over any other team and vice versa.

Also multiple groups have tried to build a club that is based on the CC and draws sponsorship and interest from NS, the CCM are trying to do it right now, it's never worked before and I see no reason why it'll be any different now. The core problem with the plan is that the people from NS don't consider the CC to be a part of their region and want their own club to support, and the CC can't support it's own club.

It's possible to have expansion into those new areas you mentioned AND lock up the North Shore/ CC areas. I don't see why we should have to choose between one or the other. My only issue is with shitty bids with major holes in them getting admitted to the NRL simply because they're in the "right" area i.e the Bombers bid.

The NRL has limited resources and as such there's only so much space in the competition at any one point, that means that any team you bring in comes in at the expense of somebody else. In the current climate if CC came in it'd almost certainly mean that an area like Perth, Adelaide, NZ, or maybe even Melbourne, would miss out, and that simply isn't a good trade.

In other words, no you can't really do both at the same time, not effectively at least.

Reflector

Juniors
Manly represents the northern beaches, which is an entirely different area to the north shore. The idea for a CC NRL bid (if paired up with the Bears) would be like the Dragons, where although the St George and Illawarra districts are two separate regions, they are geographically close enough for it to work (in theory, even if the current board is a train wreck). On that subject, the current failings of the Mariners in the A-League has everything to do with their owner. Before Charlesworth took over the licence, they were one of the most successful clubs in the league and drew respectable crowds considering their population size.

blue bags

First Grade
Spot on. If I was NRL CEO, and had to do a "1995 V2.0" (ie a grand expansion that takes us from 16 to 20 clubs), I'd select either Jagera or Firehawks as team 17, then West Coast Pirates as team 18..

...then teams 19 and 20 would probably be two out of NZ2, Adelaide & Redcliffe (in that order of preference) - with Sydney clubs on notice that if they fail, the expansion market that missed out gets their place.
i see the WA perth western force back into the bigtime, biggames
bring in the PERTH team ASAP , same as ADELAIDE team, look after BRISBANE now aswell
just get it done