What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast hunt for a new name

griff

Bench
I reckon it is down to Pirates, Cyclones and Surge.

I quickly mocked up a couple of logos for a couple of the possible names to give the idea, see what you reckon.

surge.gif

gccyclonesmed.gif

dimitri

First Grade
griff said:
I reckon it is down to Pirates, Cyclones and Surge.

I quickly mocked up a couple of logos for a couple of the possible names to give the idea, see what you reckon.

surge.gif

gccyclonesmed.gif

i still like gryphons better

DIEHARD

----
I really dislike the idea of having an inanimate object/concept as a logo.

Melbourne Storm are good because they got a thunder god on a storm cloud.

MEATWAD

Juniors
OVP said:
the source of the word griffin comes from "fantasy" novels by many authors ... griffin IS the correct pronunciation/spelling.

nobody, in the entire history of humanity, has EVER known what a gryphon is or was or will be. Stick with the original, thank you.

OVP mate, I know I'm like 5 pages in this thread too late, but a griffin is a very ancient mythological calendar beast of probably Sumerian origin I think (without checking). Fantasy novelists, lacking original imagination, regularly raid the Classics for their 'inspiration', which I why I don't read them, and prefer to read the originals, inasmuch as such texts survive today. Gryphon would be a 18th century or earlier spelling - the original will be a latin or greek bastardisation - so the spelling is easily flexible.

Stupid hair-splitting aside, I agree it's the about the best name I've read here so far. Gold Coast Griffins has a bit of ring about it. Much better than the Pirates, which is my guess as to what will win. I think the Gold Coast Sun or Suns might fly as well.

How about local Aboriginal word for a weapon or a warrior or something? That at least would mean there isn't any prospect of an American team with the same name. Anyone know any?

And on the humourous note, I'd like to contribute;

Gold Coast Casual.
Gold Coast Development. (Developers)
Gold Coast Corruption.
Gold Coast Canals.

griff

Bench
DIEHARD said:
I really dislike the idea of having an inanimate object/concept as a logo.

In general I tend to agree, the trend of having an abstract noun as a sports team name can lead to some pretty ordinary names - eg Queensland Roar. That doesn't mean there aren't some good names like this - Miami Heat, Melbourne Storm.

There is much more to branding a sports team than thinking up a catchy name. A nickname should represent what the city and the team are all about.

The Gold Coast is modern, unconventional, brash and energetic - so the team name should be as well.

The name should also represent the characteristics of the area. When you think about the Gold Coast, you think about the ocean, sand, palm trees etc. So the team name should follow this sort of theme.

A name like Gryphons doesn't really have anything to do with the Gold Coast. Aside from a very tenuous link that in some mythology it apparently likes gold. But how many people even know what a Gryphon is, let alone that it likes gold?

There isn't a clear link with the place it represents, so it could just as easily be the Gosford Gryphons or Griffith Gryphons.

That's why it has to be something like Surge, Pirates Cyclones, Breakers etc.

imasharkie

Coach
dodge said:
1- Rip is the name of our Flegg side here on the CC, probably not going to go down well if you take it.

2- DIEHARD it's not about maturity. The reason this thread shouldn't be here is because no more than a few weeks ago you were blabbering on about how GC were dead certs and as a result you created "The Gold Coast RLFC" thread in which you almost demanded all future GC discussion take place. But nay, 14 days later give or take, here you are acting as if your team is dead-certain to be team 16, getting an ego trip and, of course, starting another thread.

Someone is a bit cheesed off, me thinks.

DIEHARD

----
griff said:
A name like Gryphons doesn't really have anything to do with the Gold Coast. Aside from a very tenuous link that in some mythology it apparently likes gold. But how many people even know what a Gryphon is, let alone that it likes gold?

There isn't a clear link with the place it represents, so it could just as easily be the Gosford Gryphons or Griffith Gryphons.

That's why it has to be something like Surge, Pirates Cyclones, Breakers etc.

Not only that it likes gold, it also represents the sun and has a hatred of horses.

I really prefer a mascot that can be personified.

And at the end of the day whats do the raiders have to do with Canberra, the Tigers with Wests, Broncos with Brisbane, Cowboys with North Queensland, Bulldogs with Canterbury.

The Storm works well for me, because it just isn't a cloud or a lightning bolt, but a thunder god on a cloud throwing lightning down, it is a fantastic logo.

Gold Coast Suns would be as far as I'd be willing to go. And even then it doesn't really spike my imagination.

Pirates would be alright. But Griffins are my #1. It would make an awesome logo and go well with the colours.

griff

Bench
DIEHARD said:
Not only that it likes gold, it also represents the sun and has a hatred of horses.

And at the end of the day whats do the raiders have to do with Canberra, the Tigers with Wests, Broncos with Brisbane, Cowboys with North Queensland, Bulldogs with Canterbury.

The Storm works well for me, because it just isn't a cloud or a lightning bolt, but a thunder god on a cloud throwing lightning down, it is a fantastic logo.

Gold Coast Suns would be as far as I'd be willing to go. And even then it doesn't really spike my imagination.

Pirates would be alright. But Griffins are my #1. It would make an awesome logo and go well with the colours.

North Queensland are the Cowboys because of the history of stockmen in North Qld. Canberra were dubbed the Raiders because they were outsiders launching a Raid on the NSWRFL premiership. With Tigers the name came later, from the colours that Balmain wore.

Obviously a lot of the older club names have nothing to do with where they are from. But we should have moved on from the days when clubs get named because the wife of the CEO thinks it sounds catchy or there is an American sports team with the same name and we think it sounds cool.

These days a lot ofthought, a lot of effort and a lot of money needs to go into branding new sports teams. Creating a club from scratch you need to build its links with the community and have people relate to it. It also needs to make a good logo, and the logo has to have flexibility for bits of the logo to be used in different situations. The Storm did this flexibility really well - you have the lightening bolt, the cloud, the thunder god, the storm typography etc. I don't think a Gryphon would make that great a logo because it is too complicated and difficult to stylise.

It also needs to be able to be made into jerseys, caps, t-shirts and other merchandise that people will want to wear.

With the sun link and the hatred of horses, most people aren't schooled in ancient mythology so would have no idea about this. And even if they did, the link is fairly weak.

A mascot doesn't have to actually feature in the logo - Captain Charger didn't and he is one of the best mascots the NRL has had. Pirates could have a parrot as a mascot like the Canberra Cannons did, Surge could have a surf lifesaver or maybe the god of the ocean, Cyclones could have the god of wind etc.

dimitri

First Grade
DIEHARD said:

i agree

would be perfect

Latest posts