What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast hunt for a new name

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Gold Coast Men
Gold Coast Children (Bring younger people to the game)
Gold Coast Snakes
Gold Coast Cougars
Gold Coast Vikings
Gold Coast Surfers
Gold Coast Gremlins
Gold Coast Labradors (local derby vs the bulldogs)
Gold Coast Earthquake (Easy to promote, eg, an earthquake is set to hit sydney when gold coast battle parra)
Gold Coast Bears
Gold Coast Dolphins

DIEHARD

----
OVP said:
Griffins
Griffins
Griffins
Griffins
Griffins
Griffins

ffs ... all those other symbols are gay

Griffins
Griffins
Griffins
Griffins
Griffins
Griffins

:thumb

OVP

Coach
Whats the likelihood of the Griffin choice tho Diehard ? Pirates would be above it wouldnt it ? *sigh*

Just think ... it would be totally unique, the symbol kicks arse ... sif anyone would beat a griffin ... does it actually have a chance diehard ? whats your call mate ?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
Gold Coast Men
Gold Coast Children (Bring younger people to the game)
Gold Coast Snakes
Gold Coast Cougars
Gold Coast Vikings
Gold Coast Surfers
Gold Coast Gremlins
Gold Coast Labradors (local derby vs the bulldogs)
Gold Coast Earthquake (Easy to promote, eg, an earthquake is set to hit sydney when gold coast battle parra)
Gold Coast Bears
Gold Coast Dolphins

:rolleyes:

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Gold Coast Gryphons (please not spelt Griffins)

Otherwise, I like some of the snake monikers (Pythons, Cobras, Taipans, etc).

OVP

Coach
Mad Dogg said:
Gold Coast Gryphons (please not spelt Griffins)

Otherwise, I like some of the snake monikers (Pythons, Cobras, Taipans, etc).

the source of the word griffin comes from "fantasy" novels by many authors ... griffin IS the correct pronunciation/spelling.

nobody, in the entire history of humanity, has EVER known what a gryphon is or was or will be. Stick with the original, thank you.

Misanthrope

Staff member
In all seriousness, perhaps something like:

Gold Coast Phoenix (Hints at their previous incarnations)
Gold Coast Corsairs (Pirates/boats, I don't know)
Gold Coast Falcons
Gold Coast Breakers

Misanthrope

Staff member
Gold Coast Comets

Think you'll find that if Redcliffe kicked up a fuss about them using the Dolphins, the Central Comets may take similar offence at having their moniker stolen.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
OVP said:
the source of the word griffin comes from "fantasy" novels by many authors ... griffin IS the correct pronunciation/spelling.

nobody, in the entire history of humanity, has EVER known what a gryphon is or was or will be. Stick with the original, thank you.
That's news to me. I read a huge amount of fantasy novels while growing up (and still do), and as far as I remember the gryphon spelling was much more common than griffin.

*runs off to check out his fantasy collection*

Hmmm, what are playboy magazines and videos doing in here?

*realises he's in the adult-fantasy section* :embarrass

Seriously, in my very quick glance through my bookcase I only found one relevant series (the Axis trilogy), and it spelt it gryphon.

Also, you'll find that the word gryphon/griffin has been around much longer than since the fantasy authors have used it. That's like saying that the fantasy authors created words like minotaur, centaur, and other mythical beasts. To me, the griffin spelling just smacks of the Americanised spelling style.

Phillips said:
Gold Coast Madd Doggs
Why does everyone spell my handle with a double 'D'? Surely it isn't that hard to remember? :x ;-)

OVP

Coach
Mad Dogg said:
That's news to me. I read a huge amount of fantasy novels while growing up (and still do), and as far as I remember the gryphon spelling was much more common than griffin.

*runs off to check out his fantasy collection*

Hmmm, what are playboy magazines and videos doing in here?

*realises he's in the adult-fantasy section* :embarrass

Seriously, in my very quick glance through my bookcase I only found one relevant series (the Axis trilogy), and it spelt it gryphon.

Also, you'll find that the word gryphon/griffin has been around much longer than since the fantasy authors have used it. That's like saying that the fantasy authors created words like minotaur, centaur, and other mythical beasts. To me, the griffin spelling just smacks of the Americanised spelling style.

Why does everyone spell my handle with a double 'D'? Surely it isn't that hard to remember? :x ;-)

I only read the classics ... i have no interest in modern rubbish. You may be right in terms of that, but they'll only be the cheap substitute in terms of authors who know the real score ;-)

Latest posts