What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

LeagueNut

First Grade
Bomber said:
With respect, Leaguenut, that idea is slightly farcial.

We definately need to stop the game after 80 minutes.
Why though? Stopping the game and having another coin toss (to me anyway) is unneccessary.

By restarting from halfway, it sets up the whole "field goal shootout" concept that most people seem to be against. Most of the time teams can't get within tryscoring range after one set.

Take the last two or three minutes of a drawn game - it's pretty much already golden point at that stage isn't it? By continuing play after eighty minutes, we're just extending that period out a bit.

The Preacher

First Grade
The game is played over 40" each-way, end of the eighty, end of the game. Golden point in regular comp games is bullsiht.

I was initially for golden point, but not any more. There's just too much pressure on the officials in golden point.

I'd rather see games end at 80 minutes no matter the result.

nqboy

First Grade
fourplay said:
How can anyone seriously want a draw ahead of golden point ???

Look at all the great golden point games.

You would rather have the mellow feeling of a draw than the excitement of golden point ? The 10 minutes of golden point is the most exciting 10 minutes ull c.
What's wrong with an honourable draw where both teams have battled each other to a standstill? Or a gutsy draw where a team under seige held on to gain a vital point? Or even a lucky draw, where a team that didn't deserve it managed to get a point anyway?

Exciting GP games? You mean with the FG-a-thons, off-sides overlooked by the refs under pressure? Surely you jest.

No-one has been able to explain to me why we need to have GP for ordinary competition games.

Charlie124

First Grade
Cougar3 said:
That's stupid. The game is 80 minutes. Why go an extra 10 then be satisfied with the same result? The whole idea of any extra time is to obtain a result. If you are going to be satisfied with a draw anyway keep it at 80 minutes.

You are aware that if at the end of Golden Point the scores are still locked up, its a draw anyway? so Golden Point still doesn't guarantee a "result". I hate the dropkickathon that is Golden Point, if that were taken out of the game id be happy.

Azkatro

First Grade
Bomber said:
The Tri-Nations Final 2006
Newcastle v North Queensland, Round 20 2004
The Tri-Nations game was a final anyway ... and you can't tell me that Cowboys/Knights game would have been a pile of puss if it ended in a draw. I'm a diehard Cowboys fan and I loved seeing BK cost the Knights the game in extra time but save that stuff for the finals series. If you need golden point extra time to be excited by rugby league then why are you watching it?

Big-Steve

Juniors
I've said draw from the very start and never changed my mind.

I understand the change was driven by players who wanted a result. As a player I never wanted a loss (at all costs).

Why would you aggree to a system that gives the opposition a second chance to beat you when you could take a draw and get a point.

nqboy

First Grade
Big-Steve said:
I've said draw from the very start and never changed my mind.

I understand the change was driven by players who wanted a result. As a player I never wanted a loss (at all costs).

Why would you aggree to a system that gives the opposition a second chance to beat you when you could take a draw and get a point.
As I recall, it was driven by Gallop watching a GP game in the US and deciding we would follow suit. And everyone in clubland just fell in behind.

Dragooner

Bench
wittyfan said:
No extra-time. 80 minutes in enough time to get a result. But as we must have Golden point, I too think the winner should get two points, with the loser to still to get one point.

If they keep Golden Point the NRL should really consider your idea that the losing team gets a point as well. That's be a good system. :)

That's a great idea coming from someone who's (literally) in love with Michael Witt!:lol: :p

Azkatro

First Grade
nqboy said:
As I recall, it was driven by Gallop watching a GP game in the US and deciding we would follow suit. And everyone in clubland just fell in behind.
Actually I think it was Graeme Annesley.

Big-Steve

Juniors
nqboy said:
It's just trying to turn something into what it's not. It's just fiddling, rearranging, putting on a new coat of paint. The reality of the situation still exists - a close contest - a draw.

rabbs

Juniors
Big Steve,maybe you should contact the supporters association and get them to contact the league about getting it changed.

gallagher

Juniors
If the referees refereed the extra time the same way as the first 80 mins I'd be all for it. But in reality they put their whistle in their pockets after 80.

One point each for me.

leaguerules

Juniors
you cant have the winningt team getting 2 points and losing team 1 point that makes the game worth 3 points when every other game is worth 2points doesnt make it even they ever lost or won or revert back 1 each if drawn after 80mins

eels_fan_01

Bench
Wow alot more people voted for a draw then i thought.

Keep it the way it is, i dont like draws and i dont like golden trys. For me its exciting enough as it it. Its not broke so dont fix it.

nqboy

First Grade
eels_fan_01 said:
Keep it the way it is, i dont like draws and i dont like golden trys. For me its exciting enough as it it. Its not broke so dont fix it.
It wasn't broke before they fixed it. Bring back the Draw.