What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

Raider_69

Post Whore
Timmah said:
:|

That's dumb if I ever saw it.

What everyone else said is better. Even if the opposition have kicked enough goals or FG's to be in front - a try wins the match. Hence 24-25 or 24-28 is still a win if it's 20-20 at fulltime, even though on a normal scoreboard you'd lose.

f**k it, im calling it
That situation is a physical impossibility. No one in the un supervised world is THAT stupid. If a team is stupid enough to kick 5 odd feild goals or 3 penalty goals in a period of golden try then simply they should be institutionalised, as they are OBVIOUSLY suffer from a metal defect

ffs, try sticking with reality

lockyno1

Post Whore
Well said R69! There will be a maximum of 3 scoring plays in 10 minutes of extra time realistically. No team is going to score 6 or 7 times in golden point FFS! Golden try is the way to go!

Mr Saab

Referee
Dodge.,.,.you are as dumb as lotti.
Teams are lucky to kick one field goal in GP time, let alone 5-6-7 of them.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Exactly SAAB! F..k me dead how many guys are able to kick 2 field goals let alone 5, 6, or even 7 field goals!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I just think it's illogical. Golden try means quite literally a team could kick a field goal because they feel like it - say Souths, final round, nothing to lose or play for... they lead 17-16 in golden point and can still lose if a try is scored.

Aside from that, I don't see why try would be any different than any other scoring play. In the final 10 minutes of a game you see field goal shootouts, how is doing it in extra time any different? I think there are skills involved with kicking them... and if you're silly enough to give away the field position to allow the opposition a chance, it's your own poor defence that should come into question, not the system itself.

Fortunately the NRL isn't run by armchair and computer-chair critics ;-)

Raider_69

Post Whore
Timmah said:
I just think it's illogical. Golden try means quite literally a team could kick a field goal because they feel like it - say Souths, final round, nothing to lose or play for... they lead 17-16 in golden point and can still lose if a try is scored.

Aside from that, I don't see why try would be any different than any other scoring play. In the final 10 minutes of a game you see field goal shootouts, how is doing it in extra time any different? I think there are skills involved with kicking them... and if you're silly enough to give away the field position to allow the opposition a chance, it's your own poor defence that should come into question, not the system itself.

oh my god, how f**king stupid are you
it wouldnt be GOLDEN POINT, it would be GOLDEN TRY

Iafeta

Referee
Definitely golden try. (If anything at all, because for the life of me I can't see what's wrong with a draw).

I'm sick and tired of losing vital games because of field goals, or the fear of them opening up tries. Good luck to Ben Roberts if he can slice through the Warriors like that without the team having all rushed up out of the line looking for a field goal.

Team's are trained to play for 80 minutes as it is, so I still can't figure out what's wrong with golden point. The points table is interesting in some ways Timmah, but it'd be just as interesting to see each team 3 games post losing a golden point game. I'd imagine it's a hell of a season momentum killer. That's what the disparaging part of it comes into it.

Iafeta

Referee
Timmah said:

Why would you go for a field goal in golden try games?

You'd have to be nigh on f'n stupid. That's a Terry Lamb call if ever I've heard one.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Seeing as you all ignored the second part in order to have a dig, let me repeat:

Iafeta

Referee
By your argument you could also argue that rugby league is an 80 minute game and should be settled as such by the result on the time piece. I couldn't agree more. I don't mind losing by drop goal in the last 10 minutes, because I'm paying to see and expecting to see an 80 minute game. While it's disheartening, its nowhere near as brutally tragic as losing by pot goal in extra time.

If my team has to go to sudden death to filful the dreams of the NRL marketing committee and no one else, I want to be beaten fair dinkum, not by some 55 metre drop goal. A drop goal in my view is far less exciting, and less skillful to execute. It's far easier to execute a field goal than to execute a try scoring movement.

Pantherjim.

Referee
I'm of the opinion that if two clubs have played an extremely close game of League and at the end of the 80 mins they have both performed well enough to be neck and neck then both clubs deserve a competition point each.

Piss off this "Golden point" crap and bring back draws there was nothing wrong with them!

choc_soldier

Coach
We've played three of those bastards so far this year.

I hate it... and not because Penrith's lost two of them - no, I just prefer the draw.

Whats your view on the golden point rule ???, and do you think it was a good move by the NRL to keep it ???

I would prefer Extra-Time than Golden Point, It would make teams stronger mentally, instead of ending the game with a point or two, i believe they should make teams play on for the duration of extra time, make the Team ahead, to fight their lead, it would build stamina on any teams defence if this rule was in play. its like taking the easy way out with golden point, kicking a field goal is not hard, scoring a try is especially with the crucial point of the game, it should be golden try rather than golden point, if a team scores a try the game is over, if they kick a field goal or a penalty, they are ahead and i believe the game should play on for the duration of extra time, if the other team does not score the needed points for a draw or win than the they win.

I Think draw after 80 minutes in this day and age is not an option. once some form of extra time has been enforced in the game, rugby league cannot take a step back in its further establishment to make the game a much better sport

adamkungl

Immortal
Personally, I don't mind any of these options. The only thing I'm against is Golden Try, I'm with the NRL on this. If you can win by field goal in the 79th minute, why remove it afterwards. It's a part of the game and should be for the entire game.

leaguerules

Juniors
i heard an idea which i thought was good ithink it was on triple M deadset legends last year

anyway the guy came up with 10mins extra time in that 10 mins if a team gets a field goal or penalty goal it counts to the score and the game keeps going btu if team scores a try they win instantly. The only issue it would be unlikely to happen 3 penalty shots in 10mins equals 6 points and try worth four the team with the most points doesnt win you cant have that.

Rotten Rooster

Juniors
I think it should be a draw and you cop 1 point as in the past, golden point is more exciting yes but so is a draw IMO. They should just keep the golden point for origin were you want a result.