What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

wittyfan

Referee
No extra-time. 80 minutes in enough time to get a result. But as we must have Golden point, I too think the winner should get two points, with the loser to still to get one point.

Golden try was a farcical idea and even Gallop saw the flaws in it.

_Johnsy

Referee
I am happy with golden point, but on one condition. if a penalty is warranted, blow the penalty. I think it was a GP game between the riaders & tigers. i swear in extra time there could have been 4 or 5 penalties for offside in an attempt to block field goal attempt.

>zuzu<

Juniors
leaguerules said:
i heard an idea which i thought was good ithink it was on triple M deadset legends last year

anyway the guy came up with 10mins extra time in that 10 mins if a team gets a field goal or penalty goal it counts to the score and the game keeps going btu if team scores a try they win instantly. The only issue it would be unlikely to happen 3 penalty shots in 10mins equals 6 points and try worth four the team with the most points doesnt win you cant have that.
I thought of something along those lines as well. DG add the 1 point, and PG add the 2. But time continues for the full 10 minutes until we get A) Get a try scorer or B) Team with high points take the 2 points on offer. However, if 10 minutes are up and scores are still tied, than its a draw.

I would not mind seeing how the Tri Nations final was played out. 10 minutes of GP extra time, but TRYS only. Then if no winner, continue to Golden point, where any form of a point will win you the match.

>zuzu<

Juniors
But otherwise, GP extra time is enough for me.

As much as i hate seeing Drop goal-athons, they can be fun to watch sometimes. Draws should still be apart of the game though.

LeagueNut

First Grade
I like the Golden Point concept, but it definitely needs a bit of fine-tuning.

My idea: If scores are tied after eighty, play an extra five. Don't stop and re-start the game and don't have a coin toss - just keep playing.

If anyone scores any points within that five minutes the game is theirs.

If scores are still tied after the extra five minutes, then the game is stopped - but only once the ball is dead or a stoppage occurs (knock on etc).

That would work I reckon. :cool:

Bomber

Bench
With respect, Leaguenut, that idea is slightly farcial.

We definately need to stop the game after 80 minutes. In my opinion, the current set-up right now is perfect. If a team cannot structure themselves in five tackles to be in a position to take the shot at field goal, then they don't really deserve to win, do they?

Some of the most exciting and most memorable finishes to a game in recent years have been courtesy of the golden point rule. That's not to say that games weren't memorable before the rule was introduced, but it's definately an asset in my opinion.

Extra time, I think it should go on for 10 minutes max, if a team gets a lead greater than 2 points they stop the game there win (so it can be a penalty goal or a try, or 2 drop goals) if after another 10 its level, its a draw, if one team has a 1 point lead, they win.

Azkatro

First Grade
Extra time in normal fixtures is rubbish. I don't see why every game has to be treated like a knockout final.

fourplay

Juniors
How can anyone seriously want a draw ahead of golden point ???

Look at all the great golden point games.

You would rather have the mellow feeling of a draw than the excitement of golden point ? The 10 minutes of golden point is the most exciting 10 minutes ull c.

Redback71

First Grade
i like extra time but try not a feild goal, at the end of the 80 minutes if the teams are tied they both get 1 point, and which ever team wins in extra time gets a bonus point.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Ive always been in favour of a draw. Whats wrong with it?

If a teams could defend well for 80 minutes and nothing can seperate them, then they should deserve a point. There's been too much controversy in golden point, plus no team deserves to lose a game when theyve held a team out for 80 minutes and then lose cause of a woobly field goal. Teams are buggered as, and you know theyre just gonna go for field goal all the time. I know games are exciting, but so are drawn matches.

I think golden point should only be in rep games, semi finals, GF's.

Charlie124

First Grade
I voted for Extra Time, im not a fan of golden point though, id like to see just 10 mins of extra time, most points at the end wins, if there is no change in score or its tied up again, its a draw

Cougar3

Juniors
Charlie124 said:
I voted for Extra Time, im not a fan of golden point though, id like to see just 10 mins of extra time, most points at the end wins, if there is no change in score or its tied up again, its a draw

That's stupid. The game is 80 minutes. Why go an extra 10 then be satisfied with the same result? The whole idea of any extra time is to obtain a result. If you are going to be satisfied with a draw anyway keep it at 80 minutes.

The standard time is 80 minutes. If one team scores more points than their opposition, they get the 2 points for the day. If both teams are level, they share the points.

Latest posts