What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

LeagueNut

First Grade
Golden Point "will go" - Gallop
Adrian Proszenko | April 1, 2007 - 12:50AM

NRL CEO DAVID GALLOP has announced the end of Golden Point for round-robin Premiership matches, possibly starting as early as this afternoon.

Following a dramatic double-header of Golden Point matches on Friday night where the Panthers and Eels claimed victory Gallop has began the process of returning the traditional option of a draw after 80 minutes.

"We've been copping a lot of flak from various high-ranking people in the game, particularly people associated with the Tigers, Broncos and the Queensland Rugby League" Gallop stated.

"On the other side, we must be wary that some clubs are supportive of the initiative, which is why we'll allow the clubs to choose whether they want to continue playing after the full-time siren.

"If any two teams have a drawn result after 80 minutes then the referee will ask both captains if they want to continue. Golden Point will commence only if both captains agree.

Gallop concedes that there won't be many teams opting to continue play and will investigate incentives for teams to opt to play on rather than simply collecting one point each.

"It's still up in the air but there is the possibility that teams who choose to play on will have more bargaining power when it comes to the future scheduling of Premiership matches.

"I hope to have a meeting with the Board this morning and announce the final changes before the Melbourne Storm host the Warriors this afternoon."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21483244-23278,00.html

ozbash

Referee
well if they do it shows the nrl have zero credibility.

they contemplate changing the rules because a few people/clubs are pissed off with a couple of friday night footy results.

took a lot of time and consultation to implement the rule, surely it deserves the same amount of consideration to change it...

gee, soon they'll be getting a minimum salary....:roll:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
This is the dumbest possible idea. Even dumber than golden try.

At the VERY LEAST it needs to remain until the end of the season.

It should be a standard 10 minutes of extra time before calling it a draw. This is clueless.

Here's a way to remedy the situation: golden try...

In any event, the rules shouldn't change midseason. The NRL and clubs had an oppurtunity to address this issue in the offseason yet wait until two clubs vent their grievances to the media and suddenly everybody is contemplating changing the rule? The Tigers hardly have any clout so I suppose it was at the insitance of the QLD admin that Gallop has been spurred into action?

I don't like it but it should remain unchanged until the end of the season.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Golden try is insanely stupid.

What if a team kicks two penalties and a field goal in extra time and then the other team scores a try and wins 16-17? What happens if a team kicks a field goal in extra time but no try is scored? Do we have a 21-20 draw?

And if you suggest that penalties and field goals shouldn't count in extra time, why? They're legitimate forms of scoring in a game so why take them away suddenly?

A fluke field goal in the 79th minute is no different from a fluke field goal in the 85th minute - yet everyone seems to want to invalidate that form of scoring.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
LMAO.

I can't believe it took almost 15 posts for people to realise it was an AFD joke :crazy:

I also can't believe you'd also be so cruel to get everyone to add me to ignore :(

Actually, I can believe it :p

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
best AFD joke ever

I can't believe no one clicked on the link to substantiate the story, (or maybe you just need to be an inquisitive moderator)

btw, I clicked on the ignore button while I was there