What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

bazza

Immortal
Just wait a few years and the people running the NRL will copy whatever the NFL have in place

Dogs Of War

Coach
I suppose my take on it would be that in the first 5 minutes of extra time, a field goal wouldn't win it. This would allow the other team to either score a try (which would win the game immediately), or reply with a field goal themselves. In the second 5 minutes any score would win the game.

johns_reds

First Grade
leave it as is, if a field goal is good enough in real time then leave it in extra time. I don't think there should be any changes to extra time, the only change i would accept is if they scrapped it all together and gave each team 1pt.

The fact that you only get about 5 extra time games a year out of around 200 games means only about 2-3% of matches are affected, so i don't think there is much of an issue about this topic.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Should be golden try. You are welcome to score field goals, but the golden try wins the match.

Gaba

First Grade
Should be golden try. You are welcome to score field goals, but the golden try wins the match.
what happens if a team gets 7 points in front by kicking penalty goals and a field goal

and the team what is behind scores the try, it would be stupid for that team to be the winner

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
What about making all matches worth 3 points, so:

3 points - Win in normal time
2 points - Golden point win
1 point - Golden point loss
0 points - Loss in normal time

bobmar28

Bench
Just read that over in the NFL they have changed their OT rules.
It used to be that for OT whoever won the toss got the ball, carted it up the field, kicked the field goal and won.
Now if a team gets a field goal the other team gets a right of reply to score a field goal or TD back. If the original recieving team gets a TD then game over.

Now transposing this to league I would accept this as a compromise for the current GP arrangement where whoever wins the toss gets a win literally handed to them on a plate if they are competent enough to take it.

What do you folks at home think?

Not a bad idea. I assume the other team would get the ball on the 20 meter line.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
What about making all matches worth 3 points, so:

3 points - Win in normal time
2 points - Golden point win
1 point - Golden point loss
0 points - Loss in normal time

I don't mind the sound of that. I wonder if there would be any other implications of a change like that? I can't think of any problems off the top of my head.

Gaba

First Grade
I agree bring back the draw, there's too much controversy in the GP.
the draw is still possible after 10 mins of golden point play,this why the golden point in the normal rounds is stupid, If the league is serious of getting rid of the draw they have few choices

1- if the scores are even at fulltime ,they could decide the games on a count back like they used too in preseason games before golden point, team who scored more trys,goals,etc

2- Extra time 5 mins each way, scores still even count back rule applies

that would rule out any draws in the comp

Slackboy72

Coach
Golden point has to go. Worst rule ever. After 80 mins = draw.

I agree but for some reason people seemed to think a draw was like 'kissing your sister'. Well I don't have sister so I don't know what that would be like but even if I did I wouldn't kiss her. FFS who's getting off with their sister? That's a more serious problem than people feeling let down after a draw.

RufusRex

Post Whore
in games where you need to get a result then golden point until the result is achieved.

in games where you dont need to get a result then draw after 80

It is stupid where you can have golden point but still end up with a draw anyway.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I agree but for some reason people seemed to think a draw was like 'kissing your sister'. Well I don't have sister so I don't know what that would be like but even if I did I wouldn't kiss her. FFS who's getting off with their sister? That's a more serious problem than people feeling let down after a draw.

Thats a real problem there and a poor excuse of taking away the draw are people really kissing their sister, I mean c'mon thats sick.:?

I dont see the problem with draws anyway, how would anyone feel if their team drew after 80 minutes. I would feel a bit disappointed that we didnt win, but at least we walked away with a point.

hellteam

First Grade
I don't mind the sound of that. I wonder if there would be any other implications of a change like that? I can't think of any problems off the top of my head.

None really that I can think of. As long as every game is worth 3 points then it should be fine.

Fui!!!

Juniors
The only change to golden point should be to remove it for the regular season.

I agree.

And in Finals it shouldn't be Golden Point but 10 minutes of Extra Time. If it's equal at the end of that you play 5 minutes at a time, until someone is winning at the end of one of the 5 minute periods.

dannyboy

Juniors
I'm all for the removal of golden point except in Origins & Finals.
If it's gott stay then I reckon field goals should be illegal in extra time - you can only win from a penalty goal or a try.

hellteam

First Grade
I can't see the arguments against field goals in golden point. It's a way of scoring in the 80 minutes, why shouldn't it be in the 80th to 90th? It's a tough skill, and something we rarely get to see.

Think about field goals like Shaun Timmins/Brett Finch in Origin. Darren Lockyer vs Titans a few years ago... the list goes on, 40+ metres out all of them. They were amazing, everyone loved it and I can't see any reason for getting rid of them in extra time.

Slackboy72

Coach
I think most peoples problem with it is that it is too easy to score a field goal in one possession hence the advantage from winning the GP toss is far too great.

hellteam

First Grade
I think you would find that rarely happens. The only time I can ever think of it happening is in Titans vs Souths last week. Plus Souths gave away a penalty so that just added another set on anyway. There's usually at least a few sets before a field goal is taken.

It's a problem in the NFL because a team can hold on to the ball for so long, but not in rugby league, we only get the ball for 6 tackles.