What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

simostorm

Bench
Why should we be afraid of only field goals in golden point? thats the only time we see them.. and the game changes abit to something abit different when they are shooting for field goals!
I like it.. golden point = great.

Danish

Referee
Roosters v Tigers from 2007 is on FS2 now

Yep, watched it last night and that was also a cracker.

sure we scored a try to win that one, but it was the shoot out of the last 5 minutes of regulation and in the lead up to that try which made it exciting. Anasta's field goal hitting the cross bar was classic.

Which brings me to my other question for those who want field goals disallowed in golden point. Why should a field goal be a legitimate winning play in regular time but not in extra time?

get rid of it. there is Nothing wrong with the draw if there is no seperation after 80 minutes a team should of kicked the field goal before 80 minutes if they deserve the win. Golden point should only be in elimination final games. and this is coming from a raiders fan whos team generally gets the points in golden point

Springs

First Grade
Golden Point is exciting but for teams to go through 80 minutes and keep the scorelines level but then lose because of a field goal and end up getting nothing for a great effort is pretty harsh. I think once a team kicks a field goal the other team should be able to level the scores again, don't just stop the play. So, ten minutes of extra time should be it. Teams can kick a field goal but then have to defend their lead until the ten minutes is up. In Rep games or finals Golden Point will then be played after the 80 minutes of regular time and ten minutes of extra time.

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't care either way, draw or golden point.
But I have 2 strong feelings -
a) Anyone who thinks 'golden try' is a good idea is an idiot.
b) Finals matches should go into standard extra time before resorting to golden point

SEAT 1A

Bench
Yep, watched it last night and that was also a cracker.

sure we scored a try to win that one, but it was the shoot out of the last 5 minutes of regulation and in the lead up to that try which made it exciting. Anasta's field goal hitting the cross bar was classic.

Agree with Danish. Sorry, didn't read that part.

mattystans000

Juniors
Get rid of it.

I can't understand it when people say they like it, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean i'll ever understand it.

To me, whether you're the supporter of the team that gives up a 12 point lead or a supporter of the team that makes that 12 point comeback on the bell, I can't understand how anyone would want to see 80 minutes of exciting football tossed aside and instead have the match decided by one kick of the ball, or one bad penalty call.

At the end of the day you're giving up that valuable competition point that would come in handy at the business end of the year, for 2 or 3 minutes of field goal shoot out.

When it comes to draws, like those in the 98 years before 2003 that no one seemed to have a problem with, regular season games should be left drawn at 80 minutes. Finals games should be either 10 or 20 minutes of extra time, and only after that should it be golden point if neccessary.

Just my 2c

Ulysseus

Bench
I'd rather see 10 minutes of extra time, and whoever has the most points at the end of the 10 minutes wins. If both sides are still equal, a draw is a draw.

Agree, there was nothing wrong with the old "10 each way" extra time system.
Maybe have it like that for regular season games, then in the finals go "10 each way" and if its still drawn after that it then goes "5 each way of golden point".
I'd like the idea of golden try, but say you have a finals game that goes for 80 minutes resulting in a deadlock, then another 20 and is still deadlocked, then in that last 10 maybe most players would be incapable of a try, most of the forwards would be f**ked.

timka4

Bench
i like the idea somebody mentioned about playing out for the entire 10 minutes and whoever has scored the most points wins in that time. This would most likely bring in more tries and goals into it rather than just field goals, although there is nothing wrong with FG's.

It would just allow a team who has let in a FG or a try to bounce back and play desperate / back yard footy, which would add more excitement for the team to make a comeback. Also teams without great FG kickers would stand a greater chance of winning.

End of 10 minutes if scores are even its a draw

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I'm not overly fond of Golden Point, just because the result feels contrived. Too often the victories feel a bit hollow.

In the Rabbitohs/Titans game, the Titans won the toss and after one iffy penalty the game was decided without the Rabbitohs even touching the ball.

That said, I like the way a six point lead isn't enough to see a team go into "negative mode". They know they need that buffer or risk having it all whisked away. Whereas some players might think "a draw and one point is good enough" otherwise.

I can see it both ways.

Slackboy72

Coach
Just read that over in the NFL they have changed their OT rules.
It used to be that for OT whoever won the toss got the ball, carted it up the field, kicked the field goal and won.
Now if a team gets a field goal the other team gets a right of reply to score a field goal or TD back. If the original recieving team gets a TD then game over.

Now transposing this to league I would accept this as a compromise for the current GP arrangement where whoever wins the toss gets a win literally handed to them on a plate if they are competent enough to take it.

What do you folks at home think?

Fordy20

Juniors
The only change to golden point should be to remove it for the regular season.

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
It barely ever happens in the NRL that someone just gets the ball off the kickoff, runs 100 metres and scores a try/FG - So I don't think a change is necessary.

Definitely a good change for the NFL though, except I think they're only doing it for playoff matches, which is dumb.

Parra Steve

Juniors
Leave it how it is. You can win games in normal time by a field goal but you'd want to take that away in Extra time, if we did that i think we'd see alot of the extra time games go into a draw.

Latest posts