What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

Loudstrat

Coach
I agree. Golden try is a great option in todays scenario, but if it's anything under 20-all it can be f*cked.

What other sport in the world bans a way of scoring points to win if the game is close?

Imagine Tennis: You can only win a tiebreak on an Ace. How intelligent!

RockWheel

Bench
In golden try, what if a team kicks two penalty goals, then the other team scores a try? Or would goals be disregarded in golden try?

Big Pete

Referee
Should just 10 mins. of extra time and golden point if scores are still locked up.

Regular season games shouldn't have extra time.

Ulysseus

Bench
The problem with many golden point games is that they are just a few minutes of pure shit with teams snapping at field goals.
Make it 5 minutes each way of extra time if you need to, and then if there's no winner the teams turn around for 10 minutes of golden try (5 minutes each way) failing to find a winner in that THEN go to the field goal shit fight that is golden point till there is a winner.

Personally I think its shit, maybe its because the team I support has never had a win in golden point but they will at some point, and I will still think its shit.

Either, Golden Point or 10 minutes each way. If a field/penalty goal is good enough in the 80th minute it should be good enough in the 81st.

smithie

Juniors
10 mins (or 5 mins) each way, then golden point if scores are still level would be ideal.

Exactly. It should be extra time, not golden point/try. It should only go golden point after two 5 minute periods of extra time.

Last edited:

M2D2

Bench
People saying an absolute joke to win like that.
No. An absolute joke would be winning (in the stupidest idea that been spread by geniuss) in a golden try game.

People saying an absolute joke to win like that.
No. An absolute joke would be winning (in the stupidest idea that been spread by geniuss) in a golden try game.

Especially if the winning team gives away a penalty 20 out right in front earlier in extra time.

If it is golden try, it only changes the game from 5 hit ups and a drop goal attempt to 5 hit ups and a hail mary bomb. Most teams aren't going to throw the ball around like crazy just because they can't lose by field/penalty goal.

Loudstrat

Coach
The problem with many golden point games is that they are just a few minutes of pure shit with teams snapping at field goals.
Make it 5 minutes each way of extra time if you need to, and then if there's no winner the teams turn around for 10 minutes of golden try (5 minutes each way) failing to find a winner in that THEN go to the field goal shit fight that is golden point till there is a winner.

Personally I think its shit, maybe its because the team I support has never had a win in golden point but they will at some point, and I will still think its shit.

Then lets make it golden goal. FG are only a point, so we cant have them, and no one thinks about a try, so that's no good. :crazy:

Its 1 all at fulltime and suddenly field goals are banned. Suddenly Rugby League is longer than test cricket.

Last edited:

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Exactly. It should be extra time, not golden point/try. It should only go golden point after two 5 minutes periods of extra time.

Continuous extra time is the best option but I think the NRL likes the excitement of first to score winning. Given that Golden Try would be a better option than Golden Point.

M2D2

Bench
No scenario with taking two methods of scoring points away, is better than golden point.

Ulysseus

Bench
At least you stand some change of defusing the hail mary bomb.
You charge down a drop goal you just give them 6 more tackles.
Dean Young done well to block one shot, he was always going to struggle to stop the second against the broncos, ditto the week before.
And yes Saints got to last years GF by a field goal, that gave them a lead they had to grimly defend for a few minutes.
In Golden point a team can be on the backfoot and find themselves the lucky recipient of field position and then win the game, the recourse for the other team to reply?
None.

Latest posts