What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

hellteam

First Grade
If it went to golden tries there would be so many draws... They won't let them play past 90 min.

Keep golden point, just reward the team for losing.

4 points - normal win
3 points - golden point win
2 points - golden point draw
1 point - golden point loss
0 point - normal loss

4 points come out of every game, everyone's a winner

The funny thing about all this "oh we can't have a field goal win the game we need an accumulation of 4 points or some shit" shit is that when it's all said and done at the end of 2012 Cooper Cronk's origin field goal will be the standout play just like Anasta's field goal in 2010.

It's good enough for the first 80 minutes but people hate it during golden POINT lol makes no sense. Removing the field goal as a scoring option from the game completely would be a better idea.

druzik

Juniors
I would have thought its an easy one to fix?

Golden Try - first try to score wins

Otherwise if a drop goal or penalty goal is kicked you play out the extra 10 minutes. First past the post wins...

If scores are still locked up at the end of the extra period then have your draw... nothing wrong with a draw at the end of the day.

Bulldog Force

Referee
If it went to golden tries there would be so many draws... They won't let them play past 90 min.

Keep golden point, just reward the team for losing.

4 points - normal win
3 points - golden point win
2 points - golden point draw
1 point - golden point loss
0 point - normal loss

Just get rid of it altogether and be done with this drama.

age.s

First Grade
How about the refs actually start referreeing the game in golden point? :crazy:

Scrapping golden point won't change the fact that referrees are scared of enforcing the games rules in tight situations. That's the real story here.

carcharias

Immortal
I actually dont mind the concept and the excitement it creates.......
but the field goals have pretty much wrecked it.
It is kind of like a penalty shoot out in soccer.

I think the team losing in golden point deserves 1 point .
I think it should be 10 mins extra ...play to the end whoever has the most points wins.
Maybe piss it off for reg comp games and use it for finals only.
I am not too upset at getting 1 point on Monday.
A draw is ok..beats losing I guess.

Eion

First Grade
The solution to the problems created by Golden Point is easy, and it's not simply to say Golden Try. It's first to score four points wins or the result after five minutes each way. So scoring a try (four points) ends the game instantly - effectively a Golden Try. But other forms of scoring still count and a single penalty given by the ref doesn't end it. Try scoring is encouraged, other forms of scoring are still useful to build towards four points or get your nose in front if it goes to a result after five minutes each way, and the refs don't have a reason not to call penalties as normal.

Leigh

This, plus this but after extra time, not golden point:

4 points - normal win
3 points - extra time win
2 points - extra time draw
1 point - extra time loss
0 point - extra time loss

How about the refs actually start referreeing the game in golden point? :crazy:

Scrapping golden point won't change the fact that referrees are scared of enforcing the games rules in tight situations. That's the real story here.

If the Ref's didn't have to worry about trial by Media and having their boss throwing them to the wolves and dropping them to the reggies they probably would!

However being scared of their shadows which you can't blame them means they will not!

Garts

Bench
I agree with the article but I personally would still like to see extra time of 5 minutes each way. However it should not be golden point extra time, just extra time and who ever ends up in front at the end of 10 minutes wins.

Godz Illa

Coach
Cleary and Smith have nailed it. The problem with golden point is not the field goal. The field goal can often be a spectacular play and takes great skill to execute. The problem is purely the way the period is refereeed, and I don't even blame the referees for it. They're only human. Extra time needs to go.

carcharias

Immortal
Play extra 10 and have a winner at the end will change the way the teams play.
They would be more more likely to go for a try at least in the first 5-8 mins of extra time.
They would stick to the normal type of play a bit more....maybe.

Dresden Dan

Juniors
Golden point was Gallop's idea wasn't it?

The golden point was good at first. Now it is a top example of how rugby league can't help itself but ruin something that was good. Impossible to kick field goals if the defence is offside.

Get rid of golden point and the referees will stop penalising in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Even the Sharks attempt from the scrum in the 80th minute looked like the Roosters were off side early.

But tackling a still moving player around the legs gets penalised and two points that help get the 14 all draw.

bobmar28

Bench
There is nothing wrong with kicking a field goal to win. It often happens in the last few minutes of a game. It adds to the excitement.

Latest posts