What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

juro

Bench
There is nothing wrong with a draw in regular season games. For finals where a result is required, I like the sound of Leigh's suggestion of first to 4 points.

Hooch

Juniors
What happened to Bill 'one foot offside is still offside' Harrigan?

He started off with a bang now its back to the same old shit of the refs being afraid to make a decision.

Decide a few games on offside penalties and they'll get back on side.

Joely01

Bench
Im happy to just stick with a draw in regular season games. For finals games i could deal with golden point....

Moz 1982

Juniors
As others have mentioned here, Golden try with field goals and penalty goals still counting but not ending the game immediately. Continue to play the 2 x 5 min halves if no try is scored, with winner (or draw) declared after this period. Simple.

I like golden point, simply for the fact that you get up to 10 more minutes of a close game. It's just unfortunate that the refs and players have turned it into a field goal-a-thon, which is particularly bad because the players are generally hopeless at kicking them.

I don't think golden try is the solution on consistency grounds. You shouldn't change the rules of the game just because it's extra time. Having said that it should make for a very interesting extra time if it was golden try. But a field goal is just as legitimate a scoring play as a try and to ban it would make no sense. You'd see five shots at field goal in the last 10 of regular time and then suddenly the game will change. It doesn't sit right.

I don't mind the idea of the side getting to four points first winning, except it will look ridiculous if one side finishes in front but still doesn't "win" because they only got one or two points in front. That rules that idea out for me.

One of the reasons I don't like the bitching about golden point is that scrapping it will not get rid of the field goal shots and referee timidness, because that is regularly seen in the last 10 minutes of regular time anyway when scores are tied. So that to me says the solution is more about fixing the refs. It can't be that hard. They just need to be told that they must blow a penalty if they think it's warranted. Tell both captains before the toss for extra time that markers must be square etc or they'll blow the whistle.

I have also never liekd the fact that it can still be a draw after 90 mins. If it's not okay to have a draw after 80 it's stupid that it's okay after 90. This was done only to placate people like Bennett who whinged about extra time burning players out or some such nonsense. For that reason I don't think just playing 10mins of normal extra time (not golden point) is really acceptable either. In a semi, yes, but not a normal game. You'll still get draws and that doesn't make much sense.

As for the point system, in Group 4 we have 2 points for the winner and 1 point for the loser in golden point. Basically the winner is given a win, because they did actually win in the end, and the loser gets a draw, because they did actually draw in regular time. Yes it mucks up the balance of points, but who gives a shit. It means both teams get at least a point and then they just play for an extra one. It also works because the game is more open and it's often a try that decides it. The NRL is so defence oriented and teams are so reluctant to try their hand for fear of mistakes they produce boring play and field goals from 40m out.

In summary, it's a hard one. No "solution" put forward will work in my opinion. I just think the refs need to grow a pair. That's the only solution that should be easily doable and that might bring results while keeping golden point. The only other is to scrap it. But then what about finals?

Danish

Referee
Also whats the go with everyone ragging on the golden point period of monday nights game as being the poster child for why golden point should be banned?

Everyone seems to be pointing the finger and saying how bad the quality of the extra time period was as though the initial 80 mins was filled with slick 1st class footy or something. It was a dog's breakfast of a game from the opening whistle

Zigwaa

Bench
I would have thought its an easy one to fix?

Golden Try - first try to score wins

Otherwise if a drop goal or penalty goal is kicked you play out the extra 10 minutes. First past the post wins...

If scores are still locked up at the end of the extra period then have your draw... nothing wrong with a draw at the end of the day.

This is the best way to do it. If you want to kick a field goal the other team has the opporunity to kick a field goal too, or go for the win with a try.

Slammin

Juniors
Extra time should be golden TRY and 10 minutes each way.

2 points for a win

0 points for a draw or loss

clarency

Juniors
I have also never liekd the fact that it can still be a draw after 90 mins. If it's not okay to have a draw after 80 it's stupid that it's okay after 90. This was done only to placate people like Bennett who whinged about extra time burning players out or some such nonsense. For that reason I don't think just playing 10mins of normal extra time (not golden point) is really acceptable either. In a semi, yes, but not a normal game. You'll still get draws and that doesn't make much sense.

Finally another f *cking person gets it. The introduction of golden point makes no sense at all. Everyone is sitting around parading their ideas of what we should do but can anyone give a legitimate reason why there needs to be a forced winner?

A game doesn't all of a sudden become boring because both teams ended on equal points. If anything it builds the hype for the next time they face off against each other.

No golden sh*t. Extra time. Finals only. Ye'know, when a winner is actually necessary.

The solution to the problems created by Golden Point is easy, and it's not simply to say Golden Try. It's first to score four points wins or the result after five minutes each way. So scoring a try (four points) ends the game instantly - effectively a Golden Try. But other forms of scoring still count and a single penalty given by the ref doesn't end it. Try scoring is encouraged, other forms of scoring are still useful to build towards four points or get your nose in front if it goes to a result after five minutes each way, and the refs don't have a reason not to call penalties as normal.

Leigh

Not a bad suggestion

If it went to golden tries there would be so many draws... They won't let them play past 90 min.

Keep golden point, just reward the team for losing.

4 points - normal win
3 points - golden point win
2 points - golden point draw
1 point - golden point loss
0 point - normal loss

4 points come out of every game, everyone's a winner

Not bad either, something needs to be modified and some ideas are coming through are NOT too far off from each other, keep it coming

natheel

Coach
What about playing an extra 10-15 mins and whatever the score is at the end is the final score. So a team an win by how ever much or even draw. Just like in the 98 final match between eels and dogs.

Loudstrat

Coach
The golden point period adds excitement to boring games. That said, people get fixated on the "point" bit - and simply go for the point.

Bring back the draw. Boring games wil be boring games, but at least it's justifiable on the grounds of player welfare AND the integrity of the 80 minute time period which rules our game.

Timbo

Staff member
Just replace it with extra time. You kick a field goal in the 81st? Fine but you have to defend it for 9 minutes.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's the solution.

Drawn after 80 mins, have 10 mins extra time (two 5 min halves)

No golden point, no golden try. Whoever has the lead after 90 mins is the winner.

Campion

Juniors
how about just an 80 minute game and no golden extra try fieldgoal point monkey. nothing wrong with a draw

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Here's the solution.

Drawn after 80 mins, have 10 mins extra time (two 5 min halves)

No golden point, no golden try. Whoever has the lead after 90 mins is the winner.

Yep, that does seem sensible.

I am also happier with the golden try or establish a 4 or 6 point lead for the instant win as opposed to the current system...

Last edited: