What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

nqboy

First Grade
Hate it. What's wrong with a lucky draw or a gutsy draw?

I hate the idea of the losing side getting nothing after being level at full-time. If extra time is so exciting, why do we stop after 5 mins each way and still call it a draw? What was the point of extra time? Why not keep playing until we have a winner?

Can't wait for the first finals game decided by a bullshit decision to award a penalty goal in extra time.

Some have suggested 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw and an extra one for a GP win. Maybe, but I'm still not convinced.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
pcpp said:
Golden point should be changed to:

2 set 5 minute periods
If scores still tied after 10 minutes, draw... after 10 minutes... unlimited golden point :roll:
Try automatically wins the game
Penalty goal and field goal do not stop the game.

Vitally flawed because if by some freak of nature, the away side gets 4 penalties for example (fulltime 10-all), they lead by 8
then the golden try is scored... so the home side wins by 16-18, so technically they didn't actually win. That doesn't make sense and the flaw could cost sides and it's too complicated. keep it as it is but add 1 point to the losing team for making the draw

Macca

Coach
Yes. My side got done in it tonight too. I reckon the losing side should still get 1 point though.

carlnz

Bench
McSharkie said:
Yes. My side got done in it tonight too. I reckon the losing side should still get 1 point though.

Now this is a bloody great Idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two points for the winning team in golden point and one for the team that loses!!! Now what is wrong with that?? Both teams get rewarded for good play!!

Humphrey

Juniors
Cammo said:
I think it is unfair on a team that has matched the other side for 80 minutes to go home with no points.

Draws may not be the most exciting way to finish a game, but in my opinion it is still a result and should be left at that.

Finals and rep games that must have a winner are a different story.

Best answer!!

Since when is a draw NOT a fair result either?

Two sides go out bash each other solidly for 80mins show equal strength on attack and defence and neither side gives up.
ITS A BLOODY DRAW!!!!!!

Humphrey

Juniors
Conversely -

Two sides go out bash each other solidly for 80mins show equal strength on attack and defence and neither side gives up

Golden point time - ref blows a dubious penalty. One side slots the 2pts . Game over
ITS A BLOODY CROCK!!!!!!!!

miccle

Bench
This is the best way to go imo, in between a draw and the golden point:

Scores are levelled after 80 minutes, and BOTH TEAMS automatically then pick up one competition point.

The golden point extra time period starts and whoever wins the match picks up an extra point. So the team that wins still gets 2 points, but the team that loses picks up 1 point for being able to draw the game after 80.

Totally fair imo.

salivor

First Grade
Still can't stand golden point after the Broncos win last night.
Neither side deserved to win that match. The Broncos only played well for the first 20 minutes and then held on for the final 60. They had several chances before fulltime to get a field goal but couldn't and deserved nothing more than a draw.
The Sharks on the other hand were against the ropes from the start but fought back and tied the scores up. They had two chances to kick a penalty goal before fulltime but couldn't and deserved nothing more or less than a draw.

It's great the Broncos got the 2 points but I won't be treating it like a real win.

Golden point is the way to go with regards to keeping the competition table interesting but with regards to last night's match, the Broncos did not deserve to win the match.

Gordon Tallis has no bloody idea about Golden Point...what a leader !!!.

:oops:

salivor

First Grade
kia ora storm said:
Gordon Tallis has no bloody idea about Golden Point...what a leader !!!.

Actually I think you'll find that most captains have been confused with the toss this season. The current system is a joke, if you win the toss you should be able to chose to kick or recieve and which way you go.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Vitally flawed because if by some freak of nature, the away side gets 4 penalties for example (fulltime 10-all), they lead by 8
then the golden try is scored... so the home side wins by 16-18, so technically they didn't actually win. That doesn't make sense and the flaw could cost sides and it's too complicated. keep it as it is but add 1 point to the losing team for making the draw

Then the try has to win the match. So it would be 18-16 and the game would continue.

Very much like my clever idea.

Azkatro

First Grade
I'm sick of people assuming that, just because the team got the win, that they'll suddenly like the golden point concept. Point in case:

Wayne Bennett said:
What comes around goes around. We lost one in round 10 and won one tonight. It means nothing to me, I'd be happy to go home with a point because we could have finished up with nothing.

Stuart Raper said:
I bet all of those Queenslanders now aren't whingeing about a bloody golden point

I wouldn't care if the Cowboys won 24 out of 24 matches in golden point time. I'm against the idea regardless.

Razor

Coach
Keep it as it is, but the losing team still gets a point. So they get 1 point each after 80 mins, and they play for the extra point.

Golden Try is a bad idea, because then teams will breach knowing they won't give away a penalty goal. Tries will also be harder to score, because the other team will then know an attempt won't be made - look with a minute or so to go last night, with Lockyer shaping to kick, then running. They didn't score, but came close.

theVodkaCircle

Juniors
Golden Point sucks.
Locked up at full time.
Extra 10 mins each way.
If still locked up, play on until a try is scored.
After 100 mins of footy, theres bound to be someone tired enough to slip up in defence and you could see some great tries and also try saves.

Or go back to the draw. :)

Iafeta

Referee
Razor said:
Keep it as it is, but the losing team still gets a point. So they get 1 point each after 80 mins, and they play for the extra point.

Golden Try is a bad idea, because then teams will breach knowing they won't give away a penalty goal. Tries will also be harder to score, because the other team will then know an attempt won't be made - look with a minute or so to go last night, with Lockyer shaping to kick, then running. They didn't score, but came close.

Not really, if they give away penalties then you simply restart the tackle count. 6 more tackles. Sooner or later they crack. Then that team earns the wrath of the NRL public and probably at some point lose players to the sin bin.

I'm sick of people assuming that, just because the team got the win, that they'll suddenly like the golden point concept. Point in case:

Wayne Bennett wrote:
What comes around goes around. We lost one in round 10 and won one tonight. It means nothing to me, I'd be happy to go home with a point because we could have finished up with nothing.

Stuart Raper wrote:
I bet all of those Queenslanders now aren't whingeing about a bloody golden point

I wouldn't care if the Cowboys won 24 out of 24 matches in golden point time. I'm against the idea regardless.

Completely agree. We won last year and thats when I thought it was the biggest crock. Souths fully deserved a point that day, fully deserved it. We played not so well, were damn lucky, and ended up winning beyond 80 minutes. How silly is that???![/quote]

Razor

Coach
Not really, if they give away penalties then you simply restart the tackle count. 6 more tackles. Sooner or later they crack. Then that team earns the wrath of the NRL public and probably at some point lose players to the sin bin.

But when there's no doubt a try will be scored, after a break, then passing it out wide to a player with the line wide open, to have a defensive player in an offside position tackle him. He will always do that, even if a goal attempt could result. Not being allowed to take the goal shouldn't be allowed to happen.

salivor

First Grade
I notice all those who accused the Broncos supporters a few weeks ago of being moaners because they were losing golden point matches, don't want to touch the fact that Broncos fans still hate the concept after winning. We've hated it since the concept was first disscussed and we'll hate it, win or lose, as long as it remains.

simostorm

Bench
This has been done a thousand times I know, but after this season
what is every ones current view of the Golden Point?