What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

salivor

First Grade
What is the purpose of extra time? To decide matches where a winner is required.

Is a winner required in minor premiership games? No.

Is a winner required in finals matches? Yes

Is a winner required in Origin deciders? Yes

So should we have extra time in minor premiership games? No

Should we have extra time in finals and origin deciders? Yes

Simple as that. If two teams can't be seperated after 80 minutes then don't you just think, just maybe those two sides are evenly matched on that day?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Warriors fan says

YES!!

Fans go home with nothing from a draw. Gutted after a Golden Point loss and jubilant after a win.

The problem with Golden Point games is if they dud out and a team kicks a simple penalty to finish it, that is a total worse than a draw.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
I think it's better to go home with a result. Yesterday showed, a team can come from behind, equal everything up, and then win in extra time, showing the team that probably deserved to win anyway.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Warriors fans are just pissed off because they have lost 3 times in Golden Point. Do you actually hate 'Golden Point' or do you just hate it because you have always lost in extra time?

AuckMel

Bench
pepstar87 said:
Do you actually hate 'Golden Point' or do you just hate it because you have always lost in extra time?

The Warriors beat Souths in extra time last year.

The way Souths played that day, they deserved a point.

pcpp

Juniors
Golden point should be changed to:

2 set 5 minute periods
If scores still tied after 10 minutes, draw... after 10 minutes... unlimited golden point :roll:
Try automatically wins the game
Penalty goal and field goal do not stop the game.

Cammo

Bench
I think it is unfair on a team that has matched the other side for 80 minutes to go home with no points.

Draws may not be the most exciting way to finish a game, but in my opinion it is still a result and should be left at that.

Finals and rep games that must have a winner are a different story.

Iafeta

Referee
pepstar87 said:
Golden point games are exciting and great for Rugby League, i think they should stay how the rules are with it now.

Fine, possibly true, but take the example of the Rabbitohs fans versus the Warriors last year. All completely and utterly decimated by the golden point sham. They didn't find it exciting, they were utterly gutted. They were rorted of a point they richly deserved. Same with the Warriors yesterday. Last year guys like Brad Watts, unknowns perhaps, busted their boilers against supposed superstars of the game, and should have come away with a good feeling. No, they just feel down in the dumps of a rorted result. Same with guys like Iafeta Paleaaesina, Wairangi Koopu, Vinnie Anderson who worked their backsides off yesterday, at extremely long odds to get nothing. They deserved to go home with the satisfaction of 1 point.

Iafeta

Referee
dice said:
I also prefer either the golden try or they play out the full 10 minutes extra time.

Notice that FIFA have scrapped both the golden goal and silver goal.

Ding ding ding. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

If we're to continue with this farce, make it AT LEAST at the bare minimum golden try (YACK!) or as FIFA have so rightly started to do, make it a set period each way.

I'd rather see some smart play rather than 4 hit ups, 1 dummy half run and a field goal from nowhere attempted. BORRINNNGGG!

Iafeta

Referee
pepstar87 said:
Warriors fans are just pissed off because they have lost 3 times in Golden Point. Do you actually hate 'Golden Point' or do you just hate it because you have always lost in extra time?

We won last year, I was there. It was fine for the first second or two, then to turn around and see the heart break etched on the Rabbitohs face... well, that didn't make it worthwhile. I didn't like seeing 5 year old kids crying because their team busted their As to get what they deserved, only to see it hooked away from them by a freakish drop goal from Stacey Jones. We didn't deserve to win that game, simple as that. Any honest Raiders fan will say over 80 minutes, neither did they, neither did the Warriors. It was a draw, that was best and most accurate result and the way it should have stayed.

The fact is the Warriors have lost 2 points this year in the new system, 2 points would be damn crucial to get away from the wooden spoon. How contrived a table could we end up getting from this rort? In Premier League soccer, a draws a draw. You only use extra time in League Cups etc where you have to break the tie. There's absolutely no reason to break teh tie in regular season, and considering the pain I saw on the kids faces from Souths, it is NOT for the fans. Thats a cop out.

Bengal

Juniors
No to golden point in regular season play. It is not worth the aggravation.
Stupidest thing the NRL have done under Gallop so far.

salivor

First Grade
Godz Illa said:
Yes you're a fool. Excitement like that is good for the game of rugby league, the golden point is good for the game of rugby league.

I really don't buy the excitement arguement. Slam dunks can also be very exciting in basketball, so should we put hoops on the cross bar and award points for slam dunks? Afterall it's exciting and thats good for the game of rugby league :roll: .

Pantherjim.

Referee
Agree whole heartedly. As I've said before, If two teams are locked level after 80mins than they've played well enough to each deserve a point I.M.O.

And the excitement argument is, well, you know... :roll:

Get rid of it for weekly club rounds, keep it in for Finals and Rep games.

Pantherjim.

Campbell,P-4040201L.jpg

First of all when it comes to the semis/GF

will it be golden point time...or good ol traditional 89 Grand Finalesque Extra time?

I like golden point....but i think it should be first try scorer wins.

ozbash

Referee
A draw is a result. a point each.

some of the best games i have seen have been draws

they should leave the game alone.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I love the Golden point concept. I hate seeing games end in a draw. There has to be a better team on the field, no one has an equal. But I would prefer it to be golden try, or else it's a matter of getting to within kicking range and banging over a one pointer.

Even though the Warriors have lost twice this year through golden point games :roll:

Latest posts