What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

mxlegend99

Referee
I vote get rid of Golden Point. Never been a fan of it to be honest. If two teams are even after 80 minutes, both deserve a point. I hate the idea that whoever is lucky enough to pot a field goal over grabs the 2 points after such a close game. I think the draw was a fitting result for the Panthers/Warriors game.

In semi final/grand finals etc. they should have an extra 5 minutes both ways and if there's no winner after the second 5 minutes they should just keep playing on one of the teams manages to get 2 points clear of the other.

I like it.

If I was to change anything I would make it golden try. However, field goals still count towards the final score. That way each team has to decide whether or not to kick a field goal and defend the one point lead for the however remaining minutes, or go all out and score a try for the immediate victory.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What I couldn't understand last night is that Penrith finished with a frenzy of four-pointers in the final ten minutes. Surely then in golden point they should've just attacked with the hope of scoring that way instead of stabbing at field goals like amateurs...

aussie7798

First Grade
How about you can still kick a field goal but it does not stop the extra time but if you are winning by a point at the end of extra time you win

The only way to stop the game before the end of extra time is a try.

Nugby

Juniors
How about you can still kick a field goal but it does not stop the extra time but if you are winning by a point at the end of extra time you win

I like it!

Benji Magic

Juniors
I don't find the golden point entertaining. It should be 5 minutes each way, not golden point. All too often in golden point we see negative play, too scared to make an error in their own half, running towards the posts to set up for FG at their opponents end.

I like it.

If I was to change anything I would make it golden try. However, field goals still count towards the final score. That way each team has to decide whether or not to kick a field goal and defend the one point lead for the however remaining minutes, or go all out and score a try for the immediate victory.

Lego_Man

First Grade

Send this in to Gallop, good idea.

Meth

Staff member
Stay- and that's as a Warriors' fan- I hate it when we go to golden point. But I think the concept is good overall. I don't think the recent surge in 90 minute no-results undermines the concept

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
Make a win equal 3 points on the competition table

If two teams are equal after 80 minutes, they each get one point, and then play golden point for the additional one point.

Not sure if it would work, just floating it as an idea

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

If two teams are equal after 80 minutes, they each get one point, and then play golden point for the additional one point.

That would be the perfect solution.

Easts To Lose

Juniors

but, say the score is 14-14
what if one team kicks 5 field goals

and the other scores a try
do they win 18-19?

hellteam

First Grade
So currently in the finals series are the games golden point?

I prefer the old system 2x10 min halves, for finals only that is.

hellteam

First Grade

Yep I agree I've thought that would work for ages.

Frustrated Fan

Juniors
What is wrong with just taking the draw at the end of the regular time?
What is wrong with taking the draw after 5 minutes each way? I reckon the best things about this game is watching players dig deep under pressure.

Maybe a goal kicking off? 5 players nominated like Soccer? One from in front and move the next 10m to left or right, 20m, sideline.
An intiguing idea. Problem is, they would save their best kickers intill last. It would be disapointing to have a game decided by a duffer missing from in front. The current golden point rule basically is a kick off but with a lot more skill, effort and coaching influence involved.

Possibly just as exciting, and players not burnt out for their next weeks game.
I don't know why you are on about burn out for. You quoted some basic stats for teams backing up from golden point. What about the stats for teams backing up from regulation wins? I'm tipping they are not much different because this year we have seen plenty of win, loss, win, loss. We often see a sensational performane one week backed up by a lathargic effort the next and vice vera. Besides, general training through the week and drinking alcohol probably takes more out of them than an extra 2, 3, 5 or 10 minutes. If they are not good enough to win in 80 minutes, they deserve to be put through an extra 10.

aussie7798

First Grade
but, say the score is 14-14
what if one team kicks 5 field goals
and the other scores a try
do they win 18-19?

come on we quite often cant get one of 2 sides to kick a field goal in the last 10 minutes of a match

and yes simply that is why iit would be golden try the try wins the match field goals only count if no try is scored

if your stupid enough to kick 5 field goals in extra time you deserve to lose

Latest posts