What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

hrundi99

First Grade
For the umpteenth time...the best solution is the NHL solution.

2points for a regular win.
0points for a regular loss.
2 points for an ot win.
1 point for an ot loss.

El Diablo

Post Whore

2 points for an ot win.
1 point for an ot loss.

nah

that makes some games worth 3 points and others only 2

it also gives you nothing for a draw

Eels Dude

Coach
The only problem with golden try is that teams will deliberately stand offside, not worrying about a penalty goal. But we could have it, and where a try is scored in extra time, the game would be won immediately by the team who has scored the try.
If no try is scored in extra team, the team who has scored the most points in extra time (penalty goals + field goals) would win the game.
If no points are scored in extra time, game is a draw.

I prefer no golden point, but if we must have it:
3 points for a normal time win.
2 points for an extra time win.
1 point for a extra time loss.
1 point for a draw (just like in soccer-1 point goes begging)

All semis must be 10 minutes each way, and only then golden point.
To decide a GF on a dodgy field goal is shocking.

So a draw is worth the same amount of points as a loss. That doesn't make sense.

2 points for an ot win.
1 point for an ot loss.

And what about games that finish in a draw after extra time?

The only fair system would be the 4 point system mentioned previously.

El Diablo

Post Whore

1 point for a draw
(just like in soccer-1 point goes begging)

dumb idea

that also makes some games worth 3 points and others worth 2

El Diablo

Post Whore
The only fair system would be the 4 point system mentioned previously.

that's what i reckon it has to be if people want different points for golden point

every game has to have the same amount of points up for grabs regardless of the result

you then just have to figure out a fair way of divvying up those points

Willow

Assistant Moderator
A draw is a result too.

Never liked golden point. The result on Thursday night hasn't changed my view. Get rid of it.

docbrown

Coach
Well throwing in a TV POV, an extra ten minutes of peak ratings boosts the overall match's ratings, so I double extra time is going anywhere.

I'd rather see golden try.

Game doesn't stop at 80 minutes, it keeps going.
Team in possession still has possession on same tackle count and field position.
Ten minutes added counting down.
All points scored are added on in extra time.
But a try stops the clock and ends the game immediately.
The team ahead on points when the clock is stopped/reaches zero wins.

4 - regular win
3 - golden win
2 - golden draw
1 - golden loss
0 - regular loss

In finals/rep matches where a definitive result is required, if scores are still level after ten minutes and a golden try hasn't occurred, then play golden point with no countdown until someone scores - or - after 80 minutes the game just keeps getting played until a try is scored and again the team ahead on points wins.

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
3 for a win (normal time)
2 for a golden point win (if they still have to keep that rubbish)
1 for a golden point loss
1 each for a golden point draw (meaning that if it's even at 80mins, you'll get at least one point out of it)
0 for a normal time loss

s.i.m.p.l.e.

Golden try extra-time. Take two players from each side off for the start of extra-time. After 5 minutes of extra time, if no try, take 1 more player off, and play until a try is scored. Obviously the team who has first posession has an advantage, but tough, they should have taken more risks during normal time to make sure there wasn't extra time. I want a result from every match.

Usain Bolt

Bench
A draw is promoting mediocrity to kids. They need to learn that in sports there are winners and losers. This whole "a draw is a result" mentality is wrong. You either win or you lose

A draw is promoting mediocrity to kids. They need to learn that in sports there are winners and losers. This whole "a draw is a result" mentality is wrong. You either win or you lose

I don't agree with that, as sport is not life. When you cross that white line, you enter a different world.

Have a penalty kick shootout like soccer. Two points for each penalty goal, one point for missing the posts but sending the ball past the dead ball line. Most points after five attempts for each side wins!

Seriously though, what is wrong with a draw? The game is played for eighty minutes, if both teams are equal after 80 then they are equal. Ten minutes played in full for games that need a clear winner.

Loudstrat

Coach
The only problem with golden try is that teams will deliberately stand offside, not worrying about a penalty goal. But we could have it, and where a try is scored in extra time, the game would be won immediately by the team who has scored the try.
If no try is scored in extra team, the team who has scored the most points in extra time (penalty goals + field goals) would win the game.
If no points are scored in extra time, game is a draw.

1 point for a draw (just like in soccer-1 point goes begging)

All semis must be 10 minutes each way, and only then golden point.
To decide a GF on a dodgy field goal is shocking.
A dodgey field goal huh? What about a dodgey try? Or a dodgey goal? Or in Manly's case in 08, 8 dodgey tries?

The best way to decide a GF is by playing paper, scissors, rock. Best of three.

FFS dumb people worry about dumb things. Draws are great - adds seperation and interest to the table when the ladder is in one point increments instead of two. But Golden point adds excitement for Souffs and Cronulla fans, so its ok to have.

Its where people consume magic mushrooms and then decide that suddenly a field goal is evil, and the entire structure of RL must be completely dismantled to get rid of them after 80 minutes or we will face certain armageddon, that the argument becomes totally ridiculous and f*cking pointless.

Reading your posts promotes mediocrity. Kids need to be told that participation makes you a winner, and in a sporting world being equal to an opponent is not a bad thing.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Don't change the points structure, change the method.

5 each way standard extra time, winner after those ten minutes gets the 2 pts.

If it's still a draw, it's a draw.

In the finals - if it's still a draw after the extra 10, then unlimited golden point thereafter.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Don't change the points structure, change the method.

5 each way standard extra time, winner after those ten minutes gets the 2 pts.

If it's still a draw, it's a draw.

In the finals - if it's still a draw after the extra 10, then unlimited golden point thereafter.

This gets my vote :)

Latest posts