1. Out Now: The Front Row rugby league magazine

LeagueUnlimited.com is proud to launch a brand new weekly publication to accompany your footy weekend.

This week, Joshua Wells speaks with injured Canterbury forward Joe Stimson as he works his way toward an NRL return next season, and we have a big double spread of the Rugby League Project's 'Rugby League Scorigami!

EDITION 6 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Gould reviewing Dragons.

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by corvettedragon, Sep 6, 2019.

1. 18to87

18to87 First Grade

No red flags from the physical performance? So, Gus is saying that the second half of the season slumps are mental?
    What a farce this all is.

2. Willow

Willow Administrator

Lol. So a plan to hire more coaches to coach the coach.

Didn't they do something similar 2-3 years ago? Took away a lot of McGregor's responsibilities, provided more staff etc.

The deck chairs are being moved again.

3. jak

jak Juniors

except for the last line great post mate.

4. HenryTatana

HenryTatana Juniors

Culture ah! Boys club ring a bell?

5. Coffs dragon

Coffs dragon Bench

So the Club needs to establish its culture?? They never seemed to have a culture problem in 2009 to 2011!
    Surely this translates to the Coach, Captain & a senior Playing group being united and laying the standards.
    We don't have all 3 gogs to this wheel!!
    Thanks Gus......move along

6. Old Kogarah Boy 1

Old Kogarah Boy 1 First Grade

The Review is in..........

Ok people, move along...... nothing happening here.

7. hazzbeen

hazzbeen Bench

So its about another position created to help Mary along the way .... If he ( Mary ) is not up to it then Sack him ..... Wasn't there also a group that came in a couple of years ago also to oversee Mary's coaching , gee that went well ..

8. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

LMAO.......

WE have no cap space, need wingers and a few "assistants" or as the article says "sounding boards" to coach the coach. Thats the funniest f**kin review ever.

9. Carlton

Carlton Juniors

I can't convey how gutted I am after seeing this story. If the board act on this advice (which sounds like it was written by McGregor) I feel like there is no point in supporting SGI any more.

If a board of directors can continuously make disastrous decisions which affect so many thousands of fans just to benefit a few individuals, then they have made it perfectly clear I am not wanted as a supporter. It gets to the point where you can no longer stomach having the piss taken of you.

As a supporter I can't change anything, I have no voice and can only look forward to the same few incompetents driving the club into the ground year after year into the future. I cant believe I'm saying this but, the result is, if this story comes to fruitition, I think I will be done with rugby league.

Tuddy, ALSGI, getsmarty and 10 others like this.
  10. hazzbeen

hazzbeen Bench

Feel the same , its like they want to self destruct ... Stay with us mate , he will go but it might be to late when it happens.....

11. 41yearsaint

41yearsaint Juniors

Make Mary CC coach next year. If he doesn't quit, he is lower than I thought.

getsmarty and Old Kogarah Boy 1 like this.
  12. Carlton

Carlton Juniors

Do you know if past players support McGregor?

It would be good to see a number of the first grade past players speaking up and calling for change. You see this at other clubs but not at SGI.

getsmarty and hazzbeen like this.
  13. BLM01

BLM01 Bench

Soward .does not

14. Carlton

Carlton Juniors

The trouble is he is a lone voice.

15. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

What a load of BS.
    So L plate now becomes LL plate & Gould suggests a senior figure (most likely himself) to be brought in to help him.
    Did the review go something like this.
    BJ, “ what do you reckon Gus?
    Gus, “I’m looking for another gig”.
    BJ, “Welcome to the boys club”.
    As for Matty Johns I can’t stand the bloke but he seems to have a good record of mentoring halves.

16. BLM01

BLM01 Bench

Gus review to hire Gus..I like it and agree with most
    1. It proves injuries are not the reason
    2. Culture has been eroded to poor in house decisions made to recruitment in all football matters players, staff since 2010-11
    3. Blaming the girls behind the scenes has upset internal mate and and boy bonds is a crock of poo .....what did they expect as naturally there would of been split factions in respect to JDB's pending charges and the girls would of had their strong opinions on the matter. What should of that had to do with playing and training good footy
    4. Wingers Yes...but keep going, depth, front rower, centre, player / team selections..but if we have no money...start somewhere at least
    Now what good wingers are available?
    5. The club already has its values & DNA definition.
    Dragons Footy...Price used to say the same thing.
    Ask Mary. Our past is not our future.
    6. i'd sack mary, bring in a new coach say Toovey with Flanno as his asst

We dont need an outside facilitator to define its culture from top / down. Any true fan can do it for you....but Gus would do.. Jobs for boys need to be eradicated and looking at past players to help the club out moving forward.
    Although I think most of us could of done that review.
    Lucky it cost the club nothing ;)...yet

17. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

A trusted advisor ? Surely he could had suggested another path to follow - that being to get rid of the roadblock that has been causing all of this mental anguish that the players ( and the team supporters) have endured throughout his tenure.

No too simple , so let’s go the long way around.
    Towards the end of last nights Storm / Eels match Gus explained to all and sundry how the Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy had watched in great detail his teams previous lost to the Raiders and by so doing had identified a number of areas that had contributed to the loss . The man had gone to the umpteen degree in an attempt to correct the mistakes ( and very minor mistakes they were ) the point being is that this particular coach left no stone unturned to ensure that his players would put in a better performance a week later . Mary simply repeats the same mistakes every time whereas Bellamy rigorously dissects the evidence at hand so as eventually he will find a solution to the problem .

That is what good coached do , although in Bellamy’s case he ranks with the very best of them . Yes he has assistants but advisors , I doubt that very much indeed . For that matter how many other NRL coaches would have this ‘ special person ‘ ? Really no one , I know that political ministers do but our Mary although missing the most basic acumen that a rugby league coach requires that being common sense , does not require an advisor , only the golden boot to get the man as far away from the Dragons as is humanly possible. For him to come out of this with a pass mark shows that those doing the review have failed in the very job that they were there for - to identify exactly what the problems were with the teams 15 th place finish to the season.

Lastly I can only say that thank goodness this review was done for nothing as that is exactly what it is worth - nothing.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    blacksafake, ALSGI, getsmarty and 6 others like this.
  18. SaintPauli

SaintPauli Juniors

19. Blood Shot Eyes

Blood Shot Eyes Bench

As predicted by most of us on here complete waste of time....they dug the hole by giving The Imposter a 2 year extension.....now the excavation needs more support before the inevitable sides collapse......just backfill the hole you incompetent people, cut your losses and give us some hope for the immediate future

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  20. Old Kogarah Boy 1

Old Kogarah Boy 1 First Grade

I can almost guarantee that if Mary was made coach of CC or any other level, the team would always be low table sitters.

The quality of the playing staff means squat with his lack of ability.