What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould reviewing Dragons.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Dude O'brien has never coached a team on his own at any level. Ryles is the same but he has playing experience. O'Brien got jobs by being mates with Bellyache prior to him starting coaching. Newcastle are more f**ked than us next year

Remember when 'Gold' was the best you can get and then they brought out, Platinum.

Now think the opposite and you can see how we are for next season........

Newcastle might be F$@K but were been 'McGregored.'

Coffs dragon

Bench
Anyone remember the movie "The Long Ships"?
Richard Widmark gives a great portrayal of Mary using all his bull shit skills to avoid what should have been inevitable.
This scene should have been the end but unfortunately he bluffed his way out of it as usual.
OT what a classic....I still remember my late Father taking me to the cinema for the very 1st time to see that movie & it scared the shit out of me.
Now the thought of Mary coaching another 2 years is simple beyond horrific & a nightmare.

Qapm

Juniors
Oh well.

Best responses I've seen are from those that are not renewing memberships.

If I make it down to Aus next year I'll see if anyone is up for a guerilla poster campaign on Princes HWY before another Dragon's loss at Kogarah. Won't do any good but we are at the point where the real Dragon fans may as well have some fun for the next two years.

When visiting, only reason for me to buy a ticket to a Dragons' game is to be part of a crew that sneaks in a "Sack Mary" banner. Idea is one bloke brings in a large white cloth with a giant "S". Easy to fold and carry in under a jacket or at the bottom of a bag. Even if security unfolds the cloth they only see the "S". Next bloke brings in the "A", another the "C", the "K" and so on. Can't be on the piss before the game because there is a little organizational complexity if the meet up and putting the letters in order.

If I win the Lotto before next season then I'll be the guy streaking the first Kogarah home game / loss with "Sack Mary" tatooed on my bum.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
' but there was nowhere else to go once Shane Flanagan was ruled out of a head coaching position until 2022. '

Nowhere to go? What drugs are these geniuses on? Have they never heard of Griffin or Toovey? Either one of these 2 would not accept mediocre performances, would have thought out game plans and make correct use of the bench. We have the players, we have the team and it is all being wasted by a bunch of pelicans who have no idea about how to run a successful football club. It's a fair dinkum joke!

nontime111

Juniors
Well, my membership is now on the chopping block.

Cannot believe I am writing that for this one great club, but I am absolutely appalled.
The fact that McIdiot still has a job is beyond me, I just cannot comprehend it.
The decision to re-sign him after Round 6 was just plain stupid, I actually do not understand the season. They could have at least waited out the season and then made a decision.
The bloke gave this once great club it's worst finish since the 1940s, the bloke has the record for most consecutive loses in club history, the bloke has the team he wants yet has doesn't coach them, the bloke is seriously not fit to be a head NRL coach.
He should go. For the good of this club, hand in your resignation mate.
Your record is abysmal.
Finals twice from six years.
No other club, and this is not a joke, would keep a fool that has this record.
Additionally, no other club would give Mary a job.
This club is an absolute mess. They obviously do not care about the fans any more, they care about saving their own arses.
I hope they are happy.
great report!!!
yes the review should have gone a little like this...

Gould " Yes Hmm...a total utter failure for the last 5 years with only the one season you looked like even making the top four...youre gone Mary you need a new coach it all stops with you"

nontime111

Juniors
when does mary turn 65, retirement is now our best option.
oh no, dont give them any ideas or after winning a few early ones next year they might sign him for LIFE in some idiotic St Georgian 'retirement life coaching package' cos hes a 'good bloke' and really f(^% us all up for the next 15 years as hes only 51 like me! Im ashamed to even be the same age as him...

nontime111

Juniors
If McGregor is retained as coach that'll do me, I'll go follow another team until he's gone. I'm not wasting my Membership dollars on this bunch of fools.
Also, hearing that the hapless McGregor is contemplating bringing back an expensive and very injury prone player as a remedy to our ailing fortunes just shows I'll be making the right call.
yep its true , hes trying to get back Josh Mcrone again from Canada reserve grade cos hes 'an experienced reliable player with a good footy brain and has played at rep level and knows how we operate'

nontime111

Juniors
The article says there was a difference of opinion within the board and this has been mentioned by a couple of posters before.

Can someone with any info let me know what the actual difference of opinion was and who was on which side?
its actually the crucial point in all of this...and yes, for our VERY survival as a club at all in first grade NRL!!
thank you Sir!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Apparently the prices are higher for Platinum members. That is smart because they will get those as they are the tragics that don't care how bad we go but the other memberships should be lowered. How can they charge more after the crap they dished out this season. It is like someone selling you something that clearly does not work and charging you more for one that does. If you love watching NRL you will pay membership for any other club than Saints.

Dorsai

Juniors
Unfortunately McIdiot Is ingrained. He has no conscience and therefore will not stand down. He cares for himself only and still believes he is a competent coach.
We will get a director/manager of football as has been released. Will it be Gould? Heaven only knows but it Is looking more likely to be an English coach already discussed previously.
No money is stopping McIdiot from being turfed. Everyone At board level has had a gutful of his failure.

getsmarty

Immortal
Sorry Mary, it's time to go

Paddy
new author
Roar Rookie
16 hours ago

In 2019 the team conceded the most points in a season in St George Illawarra history (575), and scored the second fewest (427), and achieved the worst differential.

The problems underlying this failure are longstanding. McGregor has repeatedly demonstrated conservative management of his team and squad, failed to develop players and refused to accept responsibility for his errors or learn from his mistakes.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Email
The current board also failing. In addition to overseeing the club’s worst finish in 98 years, the club has managed the worst ever crowds at Wollongong (5578 versus Melb on 4 June 2019) and Kogarah (6532 v Titans on 10 August). The club is demoralised, their football is terrible, and the fans are either revolting or uninterested.

Dragons’ ladder finishes under McGregor: 2014 (11th), 2015 (eighth), 2016 (11th), 2017 (ninth), 2018 (seventh) and 2019 (15th).

McGregor’s results make for poor reading. Between 2014 and 2019, he has a highest finish of seventh and a lowest of 15th. In a 16-team competition, with a well regulated salary cap, this is an objective failure.

All else being equal teams should finish around eighth or ninth most of the time, sometimes higher, sometimes lower. McGregor’s teams have finished higher than the median just once in six years.

In addition, in 2012 and 2013 as reserve grade coach, he led teams to sixth and ninth.

2019 has been the worst year of McGregor’s long tenure, in addition to being the Dragons’ worst since their grading in 1921.

Advertisement
Sympathetic commentary has sought reasons including the loss of Jack de Belin and the injury to Gareth Widdop. Losing quality players is an issue, but not one unique to the Dragons.

The Storm performed without Cooper Cronk, and the Dragons won four of their first six without de Belin. The problems at the Dragons are deeper, and will not be solved with McGregor at the helm.

Dragons-755x515.jpg

Gareth Widdop and Paul McGregor (AAP Image/Michael Chambers)

End of season fade-outs
Setting aside 2014 (McGregor’s first half-season), the Dragons have run out of puff mid-way through every year. In 2015 they did not win between Rounds 12 and 21. In 2016, they registered just two wins after Round 16. In 2017, they won four after Round 13. In 2018 it was just three wins after Round 16.

In 2019, after re-signing McGregor for a further two years, the Dragons managed just four wins after Round 6. Two of these were against the atrocious Titans, one against the 14th-placed Cowboys, and one against the then last-placed Bulldogs.

McGregor has not been able to identify or fix these problems. The flip side to this is that for the last three years the Dragons have started the season well.

Rumour has it that the Dragons board is determined not to admit that they erred in re-signing McGregor so soon, and have set him an early 2020 test that he needs to pass in order to retain his position. History suggests he will pass this test, then fade again.

Inability to nurture up and coming talent
In 2016, the Dragons reserve grade side won the premiership and interstate cup under Jason Demetriou. Demetriou was moved on the next year. In 2019 the Dragons reserve grade side is in the preliminary final under Matt Head. There are reports he will be sacked at the end of the year.

Advertisement
The Dragons’ development systems are full of talent that does not get a look into McGregor’s teams, and either atrophies or looks for opportunities elsewhere.

For example Lachlan Timm leads the reserve grade competition for runs, decoy runs, metres, post contact metres and tackles. McGregor could not find a place for him in his top 21 all year, nor explain to fans why.

paul-mcgregor-755x515.jpg

Dragons coach Paul McGregor needs to shake his team selections up. (AAP Image/Michael Chambers)

Jackson Ford, who just trailed Timm in numerous categories, was given a start in Round 21 with the season long gone. Jason Saab was handed a jersey in Round 19. Zac Lomax was demoted to reserve grade after starring at the back end of 2018. Reuben Garrick, starved of opportunities, fled to Manly where he starred.

Pat Herbert found a start at the Warriors. Josh Kerr, Mikaele Ravilawa, Jai Field, Taane Milne were and are ignored. Coach favourites Josh McCrone, Jeremy Latimore, Euan Aitken, Tim Lafai and others have been automatic selections, and opportunities presented to journeymen like Lachlan Maranta and Patrick Faufusi.

This phenomenon is not new. As early as 2016 articles about this coaching technique destroying the Dragons were written after McGregor “left the great red and white hope and off-load machine, Luciano Leilua, on the bench” in a crucial game until the team was 30 points down and the season done.

The highly talented Leilua remains a fringe first grader in 2019. In 2017, Brendan Bradford asked whether it was “time for McGregor to start playing some of the young-guns the Dragons have in their ranks?” McGregor circa 2019 appears to disagree still.

Sympathetic commentators point out that squad deficiencies are not McGregor’s fault. Apart from the fact that McGregor himself says he ‘has the roster he wants’, those same commentators would do well to acknowledge that McGregor lost responsibility for recruitment and retention after a disastrous 2016 season at the recommendation of Mark Coyne and the board.