What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould reviewing Dragons.

getsmarty

Immortal
Phil Gould holds grave concerns for NRL player and coaching depth in light of one-sided finals series
NRL FINALS
  • September 26, 2019 1:57pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
949942e027e45b949cb6b226cb6c62c3

The Eels finished fifth, but were smashed 32-0 by the Storm in the finals.Source: Getty Images
Phil Gould is deeply concerned over the NRL’s depth of player and coaching talent following a lopsided finals series.

Gould believes there is a growing gap between the haves and the have nots in the NRL, with the top four far and away better than the rest of the competition.

“Here’s Parramatta who ran fifth, and they beat the team running eighth 58-nil,” Gould told The Six Tackles with Gus Podcast.

“Then they themselves get beaten 32-nil, which is a massive difference between one and eight.

“Then there are eight teams that didn’t make the eight that are behind them.

“I’m a little worried about the depth of talent throughout our competition and now how it’s emanating towards the top sides and the top coaches all the time.

“Anyone suggesting there is an evenness across the board, with the clubs and the teams is living with the pixies, because it’s obvious it’s not.”

Gould also believes the talent drain is not limited to the players, pointing to an imbalance in the number of top coaches in the game.

“A lot of it’s got to do with the head coach, the head man, and the way the clubs are run,” Gould said.

“We’ve got the four of the best coaches (in the preliminary finals). I said that some weeks ago when we were talking about the top five or six sides in the competition.

“I pointed to the fact you’ve got Bennett, Stuart, Bellamy, Robinson, Hasler. Give them the bottom five teams, in three years’ time they’ll rise to the top.”

Gould has also been a vocal critic of expansion believing that there is simply not enough talent in the competition as it is to facilitate another whole roster.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/5a93a4c93a62aeabe77ada58ebd174d4

And yet McGregor is safe ???

slippery5

Juniors
Did anyone in the post season review suggest that we should actually stop talking about top 8 all together?
There is absolutely no point in aiming for top 8 as the teams that finish 5-8 never win the comp.
Finishing 5-8 is just a pass mark as inevitably your season ends just a week or at best 2 later than all the other also-rans.
If we are fair dinkum as a club the discussions should only revolve around a top 4 finish and what we need to do to achieve that.
We have developed a very soft underbelly by allowing top 8 to be the "prerequisite" for our season.
The hard nosed clubs are all about top 4 and that's why they finish more often than not in that position and ultimately get a shot at the premiership.
Now if we as a club ever come to that conclusion we might then make some worthwhile decisions as to who we employ in the coaches box and who we chase to be part of the roster.
Not if you ask Brian Johnston, he believes finishing 15th is a pass mark for McNoidea.....

rasaint

Juniors
Seriously Ricky Stuart? Will turn you into top 4. His win ratio is under 50% at 196 wins from 394 games. 4 seasons at Cronulla with 42% win ratio.

The coaches at the top TPA clubs get the best players.

Bench
I would love to see the review done by Gould, he might have borrowed one of McIdiots paint brushes so it will be a white wash

possm

Coach
All these actions amount to devising ways to keep McGregor and the people who put him there, in a job.
Club culture is greatly influenced by the coach of a team.
That is why we don't have any culture right now.
With the roster at our disposal in 2020, it doesn't matter what they do to prop up McGregor, it will be a tough season.
The question really boils down to what events/results will finally end MCGregor's Claytons coaching career?
Your right and we only have to cast our minds back to 2009/2010 to see how far our culture has fallen. Bennett our club coach instilled a winning culture at the Dragons in 2009.

merahputih

Juniors
Phil Gould holds grave concerns for NRL player and coaching depth in light of one-sided finals series
NRL FINALS
  • by Staff writers

The Eels finished fifth, but were smashed 32-0 by the Storm in the finals.Source: Getty Images
Phil Gould is deeply concerned over the NRL’s depth of player and coaching talent following a lopsided finals series.

Gould believes there is a growing gap between the haves and the have nots in the NRL, with the top four far and away better than the rest of the competition.

“Here’s Parramatta who ran fifth, and they beat the team running eighth 58-nil,” Gould told The Six Tackles with Gus Podcast.

“Then they themselves get beaten 32-nil, which is a massive difference between one and eight.

“I’m a little worried about the depth of talent throughout our competition and now how it’s emanating towards the top sides and the top coaches all the time.

“Anyone suggesting there is an evenness across the board, with the clubs and the teams is living with the pixies, because it’s obvious it’s not.”

Gould also believes the talent drain is not limited to the players, pointing to an imbalance in the number of top coaches in the game.

“A lot of it’s got to do with the head coach, the head man, and the way the clubs are run,” Gould said.

“We’ve got the four of the best coaches (in the preliminary finals). I said that some weeks ago when we were talking about the top five or six sides in the competition.

“I pointed to the fact you’ve got Bennett, Stuart, Bellamy, Robinson, Hasler. Give them the bottom five teams, in three years’ time they’ll rise to the top.”

Gould has also been a vocal critic of expansion believing that there is simply not enough talent in the competition as it is to facilitate another whole roster.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/5a93a4c93a62aeabe77ada58ebd174d4

At least Gould admits by omission that McGregor is not a top coach. There goes the friendship.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
NRL FINALS
  • by Staff writers

I hope he holds grave concerns over the coaching talent at the club where he's doing his bs review

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
One of his recommendations is that he have an experienced assistant to lean on. In my opinion/experience thats not how it works, it is the opposite. The assistant does his apprenticeship under an old master and then when he is ready assumes a head coach role. Flanno will bring nothing except confict with no chance of taking over so thats a waste of the careers of Hunt, Norman, Frizell, McInnes and others signed long term with limited time in the game. We dont have time for experiments we have a shot at the title next year with some major coaching changes and minor roster tweaks.

utility dragon

Juniors
One of his recommendations is that he have an experienced assistant to lean on. In my opinion/experience thats not how it works, it is the opposite. The assistant does his apprenticeship under an old master and then when he is ready assumes a head coach role. Flanno will bring nothing except confict with no chance of taking over so thats a waste of the careers of Hunt, Norman, Frizell, McInnes and others signed long term with limited time in the game. We dont have time for experiments we have a shot at the title next year with some major coaching changes and minor roster tweaks.
Agreed

Reactions: Btk

qld redvee

Juniors
Yes but Gould has suggested in his "extensive" review that Mary needs assistance.
Again, Mary gets off the hook.
Tru,
BUT dont forget supercoach has to agree on the new helpers this could be one reason why JD upped and left and lets not forget the cast of thousands that have followed .WHY did our inept board have such a clause inserted .. This is why the bus is a WMD ready made cannon fodder as coachy declares assisstants failed and need to be moved on ( especially if they are a perceived threat )

utility dragon

Juniors
Tru,
BUT dont forget supercoach has to agree on the new helpers this could be one reason why JD upped and left and lets not forget the cast of thousands that have followed .WHY did our inept board have such a clause inserted .. This is why the bus is a WMD ready made cannon fodder as coachy declares assisstants failed and need to be moved on ( especially if they are a perceived threat )
What assistant worth their salt would come here to help and learn from mcidiot? And if they were good mcidiot wouldn’t want them because they would out show him

TruSaint

Referee
Tru,

I dont disagree with any of that.
My post was meant to raise the fact that Gus's comments are not damning on Mary.

Old Timer

Coach
Richmond Tigers 5 year plan doing a lot better than Gould's did at Penrith.
2 premiership flags in the last 3 years and now 100,000 members of the club.
The MCG had 100,000 spectator today for the game and Richmond managed to fill their old home ground just next door to the G as well.
Best we get their people to have a look at us rather than big Gus Gould.

TruSaint

Referee
Richmond Tigers 5 year plan doing a lot better than Gould's did at Penrith.
2 premiership flags in the last 3 years and now 100,000 members of the club.
The MCG had 100,000 spectator today for the game and Richmond managed to fill their old home ground just next door to the G as well.
Best we get their people to have a look at us rather than big Gus Gould.

Have to admit, Im not an AFL fan, but did watch.

Dont know his name, but when the debutant kicked the goal the atmosphere was off the charts. Well done to all at the Tigers..

qld redvee

Juniors
I dont disagree with any of that.
My post was meant to raise the fact that Gus's comments are not damning on Mary.
Tru,
Or is that the spin thats coming out because we cant afford to sack him ? I agree the review isnt wortha pinch of sh#t.. technically Gould has to throw him under the bus as supercoach has said that Gould is a mentor .. so if gus is giving him advice either A) it is absolute rubbish advice or B) it is ignored ..
I believe B is the correct answer no phone a friend required ,, So yes Goulds review is a complete whitewash

FlameThrower

Bench
Tru,
Or is that the spin thats coming out because we cant afford to sack him ? I agree the review isnt wortha pinch of sh#t.. technically Gould has to throw him under the bus as supercoach has said that Gould is a mentor .. so if gus is giving him advice either A) it is absolute rubbish advice or B) it is ignored ..
I believe B is the correct answer no phone a friend required ,, So yes Goulds review is a complete whitewash
Another kick in the guts to Dragons fans...