What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould reviewing Dragons.

getsmarty

Immortal
A few reasons that a lot of people won’t agree with me on but will attempt to explain it, all with the understanding that I do realise he is a premiership winning coach.
1. When he won the premiership it was conveniently in between two years they got done for salary cap cheating, Dragons won’t get away with that.
2. The peptide saga is a huge turnoff to me.
3.Cronulla had a much stronger squad than us when they won the GF (rorting?) We need a rebuild.
4. My caveat for keeping Mary is that Gould overseas everything, I believe his input and advice would make a big difference.
5. Gould turned Penrith around, not on the park but indisputably off it, he could really strengthen our club and junior clubs.
6. If Flanno signs he will want 3 years, if he turns out to be a sideways trade it will be another 3 years of pain, if Mary fails he will undoubtedly be gone in one year or less, but we will still have Gould and could probably attract a top line coach. Remember he nearly got Bennett to the Panthers.

So in summary it’s not necessarily that I think Mary is a better coach but that I want Gould. I would prefer one more year with one man Mary, with a great chance to shake up the underlying issues which have dogged the club far longer than Mary has been coach than replace the “face” of the problems. Just like every coach the Dragons have had bar Bennett, the signs will be out sooner rather than later. Down with Brown, ice Price, Oust Doust, Fail Mary.
We have had problems from the top for a long time. I’m willing to have a year of pain knowing we are building and unless a Bellamy becomes available they are mostly sideways trades.

Yeah...NO....McGregor has had long enough...time to move on....Put a broom through the place.

getsmarty

Immortal
generic_story_screens2.jpeg

CLUB NEWS

Dragons annual season review
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 6 Sep 2019, 12:54 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons will commence their annual review of the football department next week.

Dragons Chief Executive Brian Johnston said that while the club undertakes a review at the end of every year, it will take on added significance given the Dragons' disappointing 2019 campaign.

"Nobody at the club is happy with how the Dragons have performed and that's extended to all our stakeholders including members and supporters," Johnston said.

"We are committed to reviewing all aspects of our football department to ensure improvement in 2020."

Long-term rugby league administrator and former coach Phil Gould has agreed to take part in aspects of this process.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/06/dragons-annual-season-review/

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I don’t agree with you, but your points are valid and I think sticking your head above the parapet with us all ready to lynch Mary is gutsy.

If he were appointed, I don’t see the board giving Gould the freedom to implement the necessary structural change that you’re talking about. Too many fingers in the pie.
Yeah I’m certainly not going to get much support in here, and a pretty long winded response by me but if wasn’t such a terrible communicator I could probably explain what I’m trying to say a little more concisely.

SBD82

Coach
Yeah I’m certainly not going to get much support in here, and a pretty long winded response by me but if wasn’t such a terrible communicator I could probably explain what I’m trying to say a little more concisely.
I think you were concise. I’d love for it to play out as you’ve described, but I think that Mary is a symptom of a larger problem.

Bennett was able to overcome the problem because of the strength of his character. I don’t see Mary, even with Gould’s backing, being able to do the same. The only coaches I can see doing it would be Bellamy, Hasler and Flanagan. Ruthless bastards the lot of them.

TruSaint

Referee
“Has agreed to take part in aspects of the process”

Lord have mercy.

Carefully crafted statement.

For those wishing or hoping on Gould staying on permanently after this review, consider the fact that we cant afford to pay out Mary, and that the NRL gave us dispensation for JDB of close to 300,000 which we didn't use.

If we cant afford 300,000 for a player, have a coach on 600,000 that we cant sack, how the f**k do you offer Gould, lets say, 500,000 per annum full time. Thats a minimum...

Zero, zip, nada chance.

Great spin to settle facebook down for a few weeks.

possm

Coach
actually yeah, he was...so some bloke who seems to know everything about footy, who creates a 5 year plan which has now been running for 10 years without success...was sacked, and has now been hired by the dragons to participate in their annual review...makes sense right there...dragons logic at its best.
People's egos and politics took control at Penrith. While Gould was secretly securing the signature of Wayne Bennett as head coach while the Penrith CEO was telling Cleary that he would get the job if he could secure a release from the Tigers.

Once it became official that Cleary would be signed, Gould had no choice but to resign.

hazzbeen

Bench

For those wishing or hoping on Gould staying on permanently after this review, consider the fact that we cant afford to pay out Mary, and that the NRL gave us dispensation for JDB of close to 300,000 which we didn't use.

If we cant afford 300,000 for a player, have a coach on 600,000 that we cant sack, how the f**k do you offer Gould, lets say, 500,000 per annum full time. Thats a minimum...

Zero, zip, nada chance.

Yep its a friend thing , we will make out we are doing something , don't worry Mary you win against the Titans this week , a few more wins early on in the season then everyone will forget and be happy .....

SBD82

Coach
People's egos and politics took control at Penrith. While Gould was secretly securing the signature of Wayne Bennett as head coach while the Penrith CEO was telling Cleary that he would get the job if he could secure a release from the Tigers.

Once it became official that Cleary would be signed, Gould had no choice but to resign.
From what’s been reported, you’re absolutely correct except for your last paragraph. Gould continued there until midway through the season, ie with Cleary there for half a year.

SBD82

Coach

Zero, zip, nada chance.

Hammer, meet nail.

possm

Coach

Zero, zip, nada chance.

The SGI bank account/budget might not have a balance to cover the cost of Gould, Mary's sacking and the price of say JD as head coach but both St George and WIN the two shareholders have deep enough pockets to more than cover this cost.

The Board has been flushing money down the toilet with the appointment of umpteen assistants, the appointment of Millward and the various reviews/committees/studies conducted of the last few years.

getsmarty

Immortal
Gould being brought in to assist with review of dismal Dragons
Adam Pengilly
Updated September 6, 2019 — 1.51pmfirst published at 10.12am
  • Send via Email
Rugby League ScoreboardRugby LeagueFull fixtures
St George Illawarra will bring in Phil Gould to assist with the club's end-of-season review and hope he can help trigger a turnaround akin to the one North Queensland enjoyed after he answered an SOS from the Cowboys nearly a decade ago.

The former Penrith supremo, who sought redundancy from his role with the Panthers earlier this year, will make his first foray back into clubland after agreeing to take part in the review.

29d505abcbf81a9922d46584f3d374e4ee671e5e

Phil Gould will help conduct St George Illawarra's end of season review.Credit:Wolter Peeters

St George Illawarra chief executive Brian Johnston previously confirmed the club would undertake a wide-ranging assessment of their entire football operation – and it has now emerged Gould will be a central figure in that work.

Embattled coach Paul McGregor has been under fire from sections of the Dragons’ fan base after a woeful season which will be the Red V’s worst in the history of the joint venture. But McGregor is poised to retain his job at the start of next season.

He signed a two-year extension earlier this year, but the Dragons' season has been blighted by the Jack de Belin drama and long-term injuries to key players such as outgoing captain Gareth Widdop.

While the Dragons are desperate to put the year behind them and at least finish off on a good note against the last-placed Gold Coast on the holiday strip on Saturday night, they have sought Gould's counsel about how to revive the club's on-field fortunes.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor could be sacked by the club in an end-of-season review, a new report says.

"Nobody at the club is happy with how the Dragons have performed and that's extended to all our stakeholders including members and supporters," Johnston said in a statement. "We are committed to reviewing all aspects of our football department to ensure improvement in 2020."

Johnston confirmed Gould would be part of the process.

Second-from-bottom St George Illawarra will only be saved from the wooden spoon by the Titans. They've lost eight of their last nine matches.

Gould often fields offers from NRL clubs about consultancy work, but perhaps had his biggest impact on the Cowboys when delving into their operation in 2010.

Nobody at the club is happy with how the Dragons have performed and that's extended to all our stakeholders including members and supporters

Brian Johnston
NSW Origin's most successful coach made recommendations to the club, which would go on to win its first premiership in 2015 after Johnathan Thurston's golden point heroics in the grand final.

It's not the first time St George Illawarra has undertaken a wholesale review of its football department, respected sports administrator Dirk Melton tabling a report after the 2016 season.

McGregor led the Dragons to within one win of the finals the following year before the Red V won their first play-off match since the 2010 grand final 12 months later, a mark they never looked like reaching this time around.

"No one in the football department is enthusiastic with the outcome this year, but you need to get stronger and learn from the experiences," McGregor said before the Gold Coast clash. "We all do that.

"Ladder position won't change, but certainly [on] the occasion we want to go out and play our best football and enjoy the contest. We've got to have the right mental attitude as a team and some self pride in our own performance. We'd like to send our fans out enjoying the last game of the season."

Widdop will play his last game before joining Super League giants Warrington while Jeremy Latimore will retire from the NRL.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/go...review-of-dismal-dragons-20190906-p52olj.html

jeffdragon

Bench
A few reasons that a lot of people won’t agree with me on but will attempt to explain it, all with the understanding that I do realise he is a premiership winning coach.
1. When he won the premiership it was conveniently in between two years they got done for salary cap cheating, Dragons won’t get away with that.
2. The peptide saga is a huge turnoff to me.
3.Cronulla had a much stronger squad than us when they won the GF (rorting?) We need a rebuild.
4. My caveat for keeping Mary is that Gould overseas everything, I believe his input and advice would make a big difference.
5. Gould turned Penrith around, not on the park but indisputably off it, he could really strengthen our club and junior clubs.
6. If Flanno signs he will want 3 years, if he turns out to be a sideways trade it will be another 3 years of pain, if Mary fails he will undoubtedly be gone in one year or less, but we will still have Gould and could probably attract a top line coach. Remember he nearly got Bennett to the Panthers.

So in summary it’s not necessarily that I think Mary is a better coach but that I want Gould. I would prefer one more year with one man Mary, with a great chance to shake up the underlying issues which have dogged the club far longer than Mary has been coach than replace the “face” of the problems. Just like every coach the Dragons have had bar Bennett, the signs will be out sooner rather than later. Down with Brown, ice Price, Oust Doust, Fail Mary.
We have had problems from the top for a long time. I’m willing to have a year of pain knowing we are building and unless a Bellamy becomes available they are mostly sideways trades.

We've already had a year of pain.
Don't need another one.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
With all due respect my friend, l can't see another layer of bureaucracy solving our problem.

If you buy a dud car, whether you have $1 or a million dollars to throw at it, it's still a dud.
Eventually, everyone walks away from it, poorer.

Better to cut our loses and move on.

On a positive side, if they have money to throw at Gould, they have money to pay McGegor out.

Just to continue that dud car analogy, you hang onto it for several years hoping by some miracle it comes good, while you ponder ways to get your money back. Then you realise that everyone else in the country knows that model is a dud and wants nothing to do with it. It sits in the backyard or on the street in front of your house for several more years, a blot on the landscape, until eventually you pay someone much more money than the car is worth to get rid of it.

Pretty fair analogy actually.

Last edited:

Latest posts