What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould reviewing Dragons.

SBD82

Coach
Just to continue that dud car analogy, you hang onto it for several years hoping by some miracle it comes good, while you ponder ways to get your money back. Then you realise that everyone else in the country knows that model is a dud and wants nothing to do it. It sits in the backyard or on the street in front of your house for several more years, a blot on the landscape, until eventually you pay someone much more money than the car is worth to get rid of it.

Pretty fair analogy actually.
Ha.

You also remember a couple of good times. A drive at sunset, (kogarah v sharks 2016) and a bit of road head (broncos final).

But then you realise the car had nothing to do with the greatness of those moments.

possm

Coach
As I said above, that’s assumig that the bird give him decision making power.

I’d have thought that you of all people would recognise that to be highly unlikely.
You know, I think the Board really does not want to be in the thick of things to do with football. They would rather be on safer ground with 10 year plans, raising the value of the brand and enhancing opportunities to increase revenue.

So leaving BJ to concentrate on the financial aspects of SGI and giving Gould the football responsibility - including the overseeing of coaching and recruiting, to my mind would suit the Board fine.

SBD82

Coach
You know, I think the Board really does not want to be in the thick of things to do with football. They would rather be on safer ground with 10 year plans, raising the value of the brand and enhancing opportunities to increase revenue.

So leaving BJ to concentrate on the financial aspects of SGI and giving Gould the football responsibility - including the overseeing of coaching and recruiting, to my mind would suit the Board fine.
I’d be of that mind were I on the board. But have you considered the personalities that are there?

Craig Young immediately springs to mind. Can’t imagine Albert ever voluntarily keeping his nose out of the football side of things.

possm

Coach
I think you were concise. I’d love for it to play out as you’ve described, but I think that Mary is a symptom of a larger problem.

Bennett was able to overcome the problem because of the strength of his character. I don’t see Mary, even with Gould’s backing, being able to do the same. The only coaches I can see doing it would be Bellamy, Hasler and Flanagan. Ruthless bastards the lot of them.
The structure of the football department is faulty. One voice within the football department is what is needed and the ability to make good decisions would be the other. Reporting should be:
Gould - New Head Coach (maybe JD) - New Recruitment/Pathways and Retention Officer - Assistants - Support Staff.

possm

Coach
I’d be of that mind were I on the board. But have you considered the personalities that are there?

Craig Young immediately springs to mind. Can’t imagine Albert ever voluntarily keeping his nose out of the football side of things.
Craig Young should then be given a choice; concentrate on the Board's agenda or resign from his Board position.

BLM01

First Grade
Where are you reading that?

I’m all for reading between the lines, but I think you’re basing this on hope rather than info (can’t blame you).
Plenty of other media reports initially are saying he is going to sign from 2020 onwards in a deal until this media release today...which again is for the next few months only. It may be hope buit not based on nothing

SBD82

Coach
The structure of the football department is faulty. One voice within the football department is what is needed and the ability to make good decisions would be the other. Reporting should be:
Gould - New Head Coach (maybe JD) - New Recruitment/Pathways and Retention Officer - Assistants - Support Staff.
Agreed re: the reporting structure.

Disagree that there necessarily needs to be a new recruitment/pathways office (not completely opposed. Just not convinced).

Probably don’t need to argue the point though. I have a fair idea of your perspective.

SBD82

Coach
Plenty of other media reports initially are saying he is going to sign from 2020 onwards in a deal until this media release today...which again is for the next few months only. It may be hope buit not based on nothing
My guess would be that they discovered that we were talking to Gould and put 2 and 2 together.

Him taking part in the review was probably what was being discussed.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Just to continue that dud car analogy, you hang onto it for several years hoping by some miracle it comes good, while you ponder ways to get your money back. Then you realise that everyone else in the country knows that model is a dud and wants nothing to do it. It sits in the backyard or on the street in front of your house for several more years, a blot on the landscape, until eventually you pay someone much more money than the car is worth to get rid of it.

Pretty fair analogy actually.
Haha that’s a good one:joy:
Mine would be you have an old beat up car, it’s been in the family for generations and contributed to some great family outings at least in its racetrack days, not as much in the pits but it’s comfortable like an old boot, your mates love it, your missus loves it, but it’s embarrassing to drive in public and increasingly unreliable. You have the option to buy a second hand car but if you do you know you won’t be able to buy a new car for 3 or 4 years if you buy it now. This car looks a bit better, but you have a sneaking suspicion that it’s all a quick coat of paint and polish and your not sure if it is a repairable write off, stolen car or what the blood stains in the boot are from. You get an old mate who’s a mechanic to come around and point you in the right direction. Keep the old banger, get the second hand con job or wait a year and buy a brand new one. Also he can help you know if it is the cars fault or the way you drive cars.

possm

Coach
Agreed re: the reporting structure.

Disagree that there necessarily needs to be a new recruitment/pathways office (not completely opposed. Just not convinced).

Probably don’t need to argue the point though. I have a fair idea of your perspective.
A look at the 2019 back five should be convincing:
1. Dufty proved not to be a durable first grade fullback with good defence, confidence in taking the high ball and robust n taking the ball out of our red zone.

Dufty should go and a top grade fullback recruited.

2. Saab was introduced in the last half of the season. A good young player who should progress to be a top line winger. Suffered due to the service provided by our centres.
Saab should be retained and replaced with other up and coming wingers when injured or when out of form.

3. In my opinion Aitken should have been offloaded for 2019.
We should off-load Aitken and replace him with Lomax.

4. Lafai is proving to be in his worst form of his career.
We should off-load Lafai and recruit a top line centre.

5. Ravalawa and Pearson very raw players who may or may not progress to be good first grade wingers.
Retain these players in reserve grade and recruit a top line right winger for first grade.

SBD82

Coach
A look at the 2019 back five should be convincing:
1. Dufty proved not to be a durable first grade fullback with good defence, confidence in taking the high ball and robust n taking the ball out of our red zone.
Dufty should go and a top grade fullback recruited.

2. Saab was introduced in the last half of the season. A good young player who should progress to be a top line winger. Suffered due to the service provided by our centres.
Saab should be retained and replaced with other up and coming wingers when injured or when out of form.

3. In my opinion Aitken should have been offloaded for 2019.
We should off-load Aitken and replace him with Lomax.

4. Lafai is proving to be in his worst form of his career.
We should off-load Lafai and recruit a top line centre.

5. Ravalawa and Pearson very raw players who may or may not progress to be good first grade wingers.
Retain these players in reserve grade and recruit a top line right winger for first grade.
As I said mate, probably not a lot of worth in debating it. I know you have pretty strong views, and I’m of the opinion that there is no way that we can get an accurate gauge of the talent at our disposal while Mary remains coach.

HenryTatana

Juniors
Gould has been quoted as saying Penrith wouldn't win a comp with Griffin. He also pissed off Cleary because he was burnt out. So from this we know he can make hard decisions. If I recall correctly he also advised Uncle Nick that he needed someone like Brian Smith to clean out the place and rebuild back in 2009?
So based on his previous experience and the fact you don't need to be Sherlock you could accurately conclude we will not win a comp with the Pisshead and we need to rebuild. The question then is who is the right person to rebuild the club and or coach the dragons.

Though it won't come out in the review, his recommendation for coach will be very interesting.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
"I don't think they're about to make any changes," Gould said tellingly.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/phil-g...s-review/2a1054b0-8fcf-46ab-8d71-ddb73f584f63
I didnt need Gould to tell me that Tru ....it was pretty obvious to some of us on here that The Imposter is going nowhere fast..and as for the feeble excuses and comments that the JDB saga had a telling effect on our performances this year is absolute rubbish...yes its obvious that when your missing a SOO player with Jacks talent there is always going to be some adjustments to the team in particular our defence ....but for a team that was touted as being a top four contender or one of the favourites, to finish the season in 15th place partly because one of our players wasnt available is as lame as an excuse as it gets......If Gould wants to be invited in to the review then Im ok with it because love him or hate him he does have an astute football brain.......but if its for a smoke screen to retain The Imposter then it will be a complete waste of money, because you can bet your balls he wont be doing it for nothing

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Gould has been quoted as saying Penrith wouldn't win a comp with Griffin. He also pissed off Cleary because he was burnt out. So from this we know he can make hard decisions. If I recall correctly he also advised Uncle Nick that he needed someone like Brian Smith to clean out the place and rebuild back in 2009?
So based on his previous experience and the fact you don't need to be Sherlock you could accurately conclude we will not win a comp with the Pisshead and we need to rebuild. The question then is who is the right person to rebuild the club and or coach the dragons.

Though it won't come out in the review, his recommendation for coach will be very interesting.
This is kind of what I’m thinking, I’m not saying Mary can be saved or taught to coach from Gould I just don’t want to go and waste another 3-4 years without someone from outside giving their view first. More or less I’m saying I’d put up with 12 months of Mary to get a Bellamy rather than swap for someone not much better just because we are all impatient. Because once we get a new coach, they will have the excuse of the squad which buys them that time to fail.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Gould’s involvement to me reeks of a lack of guts on the part of our Club. If Mary goes, Gus will be the one who was responsible for it not BJ or the Board. If he stays BJ and crew can say “we took on board all the recommendations of the review”..... To be honest I think the second path will be the path taken. Mary will survive and we will hear all about stringent goals being set and MacGregor needing to get the team preforming in the first half of the season etc etc.....and Mary will fail.....again....and he will be gone before the end of the season but 2020 will be another write off.
Hope I’m wrong, but the Club will ‘save’ itself $600,000.