What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gower in Fight

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sure, especially if causes bodily injury. You only have to push someone and it can be assault. I recall once that someone was charged with assault for spitting on someone else. I'd say that tackling someone is worse.

Words are not assault and I understand that name calling offers no defence should the person charged say they were provoked.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Dave Q said:
Willow's raised a good point which shouldnt get lost in this thread and that is that if Gowie is innocent of any offence, they have nothing to fear by a proper police investigation.

Why do you think Penrith fear? I don't remember reading anything that even slightly resembles Penrith fearing an investigation. I did watch a very comfortable Mick Leary on Channel 10 stating he had watched the footage and is confident of what he saw to lead to Craig Gowers version of events. Correct me if I am wrong with legite sources though.

Dave Q said:
As all of this gear has come through the Panthers, its all second hand hearsay and their opinions and statements are entirely inadmissible in court.
All this gear? You should google.

Dave Q said:
One has to weigh up whether what they have done for Gower is better than a stone cold silence.

And you would not expect Souths to view CCTV Footage, come to the conclusion that their players version of events are the ones they have seen and compile a report obligingly to NRL?

The ever changing quotes, contradicting stories that the gossip reporters have fed us has become beyond belief.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Willow said:
Sure, especially if causes bodily injury. You only have to push someone and it can be assault. I recall once that someone was charged with assault for spitting on someone else. I'd say that tackling someone is worse.

Words are not assault and I understand that name calling offers no defence should the person charged say they were provoked.

Wow. I better not get pissed on the weekend and crash tackle every body in the local pub then. ;-) I should use deragotary language instead. :shock: What a crazy world. :D

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well that's the law PK. If someone feels threatened in any way, then they have a right to make a complaint. Of course some are frivolous but that's why we have police to investigate and courts to hand down judgments.

Q Dave

In the meantime, Craig Gower remains subject to a criminal investigation by the NSW Police Service.

If subsequently charged and later convicted of Assault or Assault Occasioning Actual Bodily Harm, in the Local Court, then he faces up to two years imprisonment.

Being drunk at the time is not a defence.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
PK said:
Q Dave/Dave Q. You have become repititive and boring again.

Selective reasoning? What about the repetitive posts from members who can't seem to grasp that Gower is under investigation by NSW Police and until such time as they or the DPP rule whether a crime has been committed or there is insufficient evidence to prosecute then people like Mr. Leary should butt out.

Dave Q

Coach
Well, I cant see where I have raised possible charges and possible penalties before PK.

Apart from Common Assault and those related offences, there is another charge known as "Intimidation" that the Police might look into as well. It has different elements.

It primarily depends upon what the witnesses say.

Nobody is permitted to interfere with witnesses or make suggestions to them.

As I said, only a few people were there and their recollections might be different anyway.

People often interpret the same things differently.

skeepe

Immortal
I find the following quite an unbelievable statement to make considering that the police are still investigating:

PENRITH officials last night declared the Craig Gower case closed after finalising a report on the Test star's behaviour at a Potts Point nightclub.

While Kings Cross police are looking into a complaint by a Marrickville teenager in which he alleges he was assaulted by Gower in the early hours of last Sunday, Panthers general manager Michael Leary has recommended the club take no action against the former captain.

Leary will today send a report to the NRL but he anticipates league bosses being satisfied with Penrith's handling of the matter.

"As far as I am concerned, that is the end of the matter," Leary said last night. "Of course, I still have to keep an open mind in case something else comes up but I am quite confident that won't be the case."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/g...1171405369912.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Whatever the outcome, the Panthers have handled this poorly in my opinion. Clearing someone of any wrongdoing BEFORE a police investigation into their actions has been finished? Poor form at best.

ozbash

Referee
The NRL were bloody quick to move on Tevita Latu (first time offender). There are definitely 2 standards here.

mxlegend99

Referee
ozbash said:
The NRL were bloody quick to move on Tevita Latu (first time offender). There are definitely 2 standards here.
Latu was found guilty and charged for assaulting a women.

Gower has had many different people make accusations only to retract them at a later stage. So far he has been found guilty of nothing. What is there for the NRL to do?

As for Panthers clearing him, what the hell is wrong with that? They viewed the tapes and cleared him of any wrong doing. Investigation pending or not... they are comfortable that he did nothing wrong. If they hesitated at all in making a decision, or waited for him to be cleared by police, it would show doubt on whether or not he was innocent.

skeepe

Immortal
mxlegend99 said:
As for Panthers clearing him, what the hell is wrong with that? They viewed the tapes and cleared him of any wrong doing. Investigation pending or not... they are comfortable that he did nothing wrong. If they hesitated at all in making a decision, or waited for him to be cleared by police, it would show doubt on whether or not he was innocent.

All other clubs withhold making judgements on matters that are still actively under police investigation until those investigations are complete. This is unbelievably poor from Penrith. A cynical person may infer that their remarks may be an attempt to influence the investigation one way or another.

As for you mx, you are clearly biased on this issue and fair enough, but statements like this:

or waited for him to be cleared by police, it would show doubt on whether or not he was innocent

show that you are completely blinded by loyalty.

Whilst he is innocent until proven guilty, they cannot conclusively clear him of any wrongdoing while there is an ongoing investigation.

The Rhino

Juniors
Thank you El Diablo for that, shows that some posters have a problem with either Penrith or Gower and want to hang them both REGARDLESS of the outcome of any investigation.

skeepe

Immortal
The Rhino said:
Thank you El Diablo for that, shows that some posters have a problem with either Penrith or Gower and want to hang them both REGARDLESS of the outcome of any investigation.

You what? This persecution complex is ridiculous. The story I posted was from TODAY. This means the statement was released YESTERDAY or LAST NIGHT. Obviously, the police complaint had been made before then.

Latest posts