What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gower in Fight

mxlegend99

Referee
Phoenix 36 said:
Nothing will happen, Gower is their best player. And what's the go with people saying he shouldn't go out, he should know better. He's no different to every one else. Why shouldn't he be allowed out and hit the turps have a dance and a dust up with another bloke. The other guy hit back story over . Sounds like a pretty normal part of an Aussie life
?????
Hit back?

According to all reports, Gower never hit the guy at all. (so the guy didn't hit back, he hit first)

The first news reports stated Gower kissed and bit the guy (sounds a bit fat fetched to me). The latest ones have witnesses that are saying that Gower didn't do either... and that all he was doing is being drunk and showing off a little (which is very normal).

The fact Gower didn't hit him back at all, and instead chose to leave... IMO, says he was able to control himself atleast a little.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Sevens 4:30pm news heading the way of their 10:30am news

mention Gower and ignore the AFL clowns

El Diablo

Post Whore
innsaneink said:
Shocking isnt it?

Tut tut tut

It certainly is

I wonder whatever happened to channel Sevens "exclusive witness" in the Tigers alleged rape scandal?

The lengths Seven goes to to try and bring down League makes me sick. Fox News are more fair and balanced than Seven.

Caged Panther

First Grade
The problem with this is that Gower's past means that even if this allegation is basless it will get alot more legs than it deserves.

edit: Penrith say they have been in contact with 4 independent sources who support gowers version of events

Mr Saab

Referee
Innocent until proven guilty, having said that though, Gower should not be out and about at night spots. Trouble finds him...or he finds it.

Mr Saab said:
Innocent until proven guilty, having said that though, Gower should not be out and about at night spots. Trouble finds him...or he finds it.

why should players give up their personal freedoms to protect the codes image?

as long as they do nothing illegal they should be allowed to do what they want with their own time.

Mr Saab

Referee
herbert henry1908 said:
why should players give up their personal freedoms to protect the codes image?

as long as they do nothing illegal they should be allowed to do what they want with their own time.

Not to protect the code, but to protect their own safety and status in the game.
It is no secret that Gower loves an amber ale though

mxlegend99

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Agreed 100%.

Gower looks to be innocent in this incident (no punches thrown, no kissing/biting). But being a celebrity, and even worse, one with a lot of bad incidents in his history... some people are going to try and start things with him, and most newspapers are going to happily run with any headline they can to put the NRL or one of its stars down. He'd be doing himself a favour not to put himself in position for these things.

Mr Saab said:
Not to protect the code, but to protect their own safety and status in the game.
It is no secret that Gower loves an amber ale though

thats up to gower though , if he doesnt care about his safety and status in the code then he should go ahead and get stuck into a few beers.

Mr Saab

Referee
As long as he behaves himself sure, but as i said, trouble seems to find him when he is on the jungle juice.

cainen

Juniors
I didn't kiss and bite dancer: Gower

Jano Gibson
February 12, 2007 - 3:05PM

Two witnesses have backed-up rugby league player Craig Gower's version of events during a violent incident at a Sydney night club at the weekend.

The 28-year-old Penrith Panthers halfback had been accused by witnesses of kissing and biting the neck of a man at the Peppermint Lounge in Potts Point in the early hours of Sunday morning, the club's head of security, Tarek Nassr, told smh.com.au this morning.
Gower's alleged behaviour had sparked a violent reaction from the man who "just went berserk'', landing a few punches on the international player, Mr Nassr said.

The Panther's media manager, Rob Weaver, said Gower had confirmed he was involved in an "altercation'' at the lounge bar but rejected claims he had kissed or bitten the man's neck.

"Craig admits he was in the club and there was an altercation on the dance floor but, as for these allegations of biting and so on, I don't know what that's all about,'' Mr Weaver said.

"He was having some fun on the dance floor and another dancer went berserk and started throwing some punches.
"He did not retaliate and left the club as quickly as he could.''
Two witnesses have now come forward, backing up the rugby league star's version of events.

"He did have an altercation with someone but there was no biting or anything like that, said Nathan, a 26-year-old acquaintance of Gower's who asked that his surname not be published.

"They were having words. Craig lifted up his shirt just because he was drunk - I will give you that.''

"He's lifted up his shirt just to sort of say he's a fit boy or whatever and the guy just decked him.''
"It was a big hit, he's hit the ground and then he got back up. [Gower's] put his hands in front of his face and said he doesn't want to fight and then the guy king hit him again, clean hit to the face again, same spot.
"The lights went on in the club at this point. People have tried to grab the large guy that actually hit him.''

Nathan said Gower quickly left the premises with security guards in tow.
He said the man who allegedly hit Gower then walked around allegedly telling people he would come back with a gun and shoot Gower.

The man also allegedly hit another club-goer in the head, Nathan said.
Another patron, who did not want to give his name, said the violence on the dance floor lasted for about 30 seconds.

"The dance floor was pretty much dead - everyone was just sitting around.
"All of a sudden Gower has come over and you could tell he was a bit drunk but he wasn't being a total idiot and we just thought basically he was posing with this other guy. They were both showing their muscles, being heroes, that sort of thing.
"Next thing you know they are just shaping up and ready to punch on.
"The [other] guy has hit him in the head about three times. They both put their arms up to fight and the guy has hit him three times and Gower's like, 'No, I don't want to fight. No I don't want to fight.'''
"I went over and grabbed the guy and I'm not the biggest guy. I was saying 'No, it's not worth it. Leave it alone.'
"He was just like ... in the heat of of the moment. He was just going off his head.''

The patron said he also heard the man yell out that he would return with a gun but dismissed it as a hollow threat.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/general/i-didnt-kiss-and-bite-dancer-gower/2007/02/12/1171128851083.html

and

Gower 'in line for Panthers captaincy'
February 12, 2007 - 6:44PM

New Penrith coach Matthew Elliott has claimed Craig Gower remained very much in the running for the Panthers captaincy despite his involvement in a nightclub incident at the weekend.

Elliott said the club had cleared Gower of any wrongdoing after talking to witnesses and reviewing closed circuit television footage of an altercation at the Peppermint Lounge in Sydney's eastern suburbs.

It had been alleged the former Test halfback had bitten a man on the neck before becoming involved in a scuffle.

"All the independent inquires that we've made as a club is what we've based our response on and it has really supported what Craig has said happened," Elliott said.

"We had someone look at the CCTV footage...Craig Gower did not insult or assault anyone from the information we've got.

"I don't know how we can make an issue out of it if he hasn't insulted or assaulted anyone."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said he was awaiting a report from the Panthers in the next couple of days before commenting.

A newspaper report claimed Gower had joined a man and a woman on the dance floor of the Potts Point establishment about 2:30am on Sunday.

He reportedly kissed and bit the man on the neck, with witnesses claiming the 28-year-old was heavily intoxicated.

Gower admitted to club officials that he had been involved in an altercation but denied he had attacked the man.

News of the incident couldn't have come at a worse time for the talented playmaker, with club officials believed to be close to reinstating Gower as skipper after he was stripped of the role following alcohol-related incident at a charity golf event on the Gold Coast in late 2005.

But Elliott said Gower was very much in the frame for the captaincy along with several other players, including 2006 skipper Tony Puletua.

"There's some trial matches coming up in the next couple weeks and there will be a few guys who will get the opportunity to lead the team," Elliott said.

"This incident will have no bearing on that decision.

"One thing I can say is that he guy that threw the punch (at the nightclub) won't be captain.

"The message from this is that all NRL players need to chose very carefully where and when they go out.

"If it was a doctor or a lawyer that had been on the end of this no-one would know about it.

"Unfortunately young NRL players who choose to go out and enjoy themselves they need to be very very wise in the decisions they make."

Gower trained in the rain with the rest of his teammates on Monday afternoon, with Penrith to play their first trial against Newcastle in Darwin on February 23.

© 2007 AAP
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Gower-in-line-for-Panthers-captaincy/2007/02/12/1171128893088.html

Plus the bouncer who was quoted in the original Telegraph article has been on the radio this afternoon pissed off because they mis-quoted him. He says he was only telling them what someone else had told him, he didn't actually see anything.

innsaneink

Referee
What odds we see a fair few opposition players lifting up their jumpers in front of him in the coming months. :lol:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Willow said:
How does that work with the mainstream internet publications?
Ninemsn, Foxsports etc.

Compare the coverage the AFL and League allegations got in the Melbourne Age website:
www.theage.com.au
12/2/2007

And then compare the coverage the AFL and League allegations got in the Sydney Morning Herald website:
www.smh.com.au
12/2/2007

The Gower story gets a lot more editorial in both the Melbourne and Sydney online broadsheet publications.

In the wider news outlets...

just checked how they compare today

SMH Sport has 3 stories on Gower

The Age Sport has 0 stories on the AFL players

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I only caught the last five minutes of the back page on Monday night but noticed serial 'rugby league knocker' Tracey Holmes, resplendent in new hair do, was on. She would have reveled in anything to do with Gower I'm sure. Anyone see it?

El Diablo

Post Whore
i try to avoid The Back Page these days as should any RL fan

when i see Gibson it makes me happy Norths are gone

gunnamatta bay

Referee
El Diablo said:
i try to avoid The Back Page these days as should any RL fan

when i see Gibson it makes me happy Norths are gone

Someone once posted a picture of Gibbo (might have been inky). He looked remarkably like a turkey.