What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grassroots ( junior league) keeping Nrl accountable!

Teddyboy

First Grade
Nope. Many local league's play at 3pm on the Sunday. In Newcastle the inner city clubs (where the code is struggling for junior numbers )often play when the Knights are playing on a Sunday. The three inner city district clubs had twenty Sunday home games out of a possible 24 home games last season. Notably the coalfield clubs play home games on Saturdays and Maitland v Cessnock played the under19s grand final last season. (The inner city district clubs struggled to get numbers for the 19s comp) . It's clear what's happening if you look at when the clubs are playing their games. Mind you prior to 1970 all senior district rugby-league played on a Saturday. Back then the code was booming! A number of clubs sought to capitalize on the "church crowd " And it worked for some big crowds for a while then a flow of RL juniors to rugby union started to take effect and now union is overtaking league in inner city junior numbers in recent years! Their are also many people(many of them pensioners ) in the inner city football club committees that prefer staging Sunday games as it suits their lifestyle. (bugger the players and fans!)
So you have old farts in League as well as Union but having 3pm Sunday kick off is stupid as the pro clubs are missing out on fans who are players but I suppose a lot of League fans past and present don't play the game.

Stallion

First Grade
So you have old farts in League as well as Union but having 3pm Sunday kick off is stupid as the pro clubs are missing out on fans who are players but I suppose a lot of League fans past and present don't play the game.

Unfortunately the code(RL) is losing its local and social relevance. Plenty of rugby league juniors are going straight to the more socially relevant and user friendly rugby union clubs as they play on Saturdays. Thats what's happening. The club I'm with has just erred in scheduling its first home game (sponsors day)on a Sunday and I've emailed my concern to the secretary. Hopefully he will see fit get it changed to a Saturday. I mentioned that the sponsors wont be drinking at the Leagues club afterwards and nor will fans and players. Most people are thinking of work approaching on the Monday!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Stallion what is the logic behind playing Sundays?

It's an historical logic. In Newcastle it happened in the early 19 70s. The code capitalized on gaining the church crowd. This was ok for a while but the church crowd has died off. Administrators from that era still have traction in existing clubs. They are mostly of pensioner age and it suits their lifestyle. Their are also poor quality administrators that can't work out the damage they are doing the code! The pensioner administrator lifestyle is not the lifestyle of young adult players and has subsequently seen an ostracising of the code in the local community and areas. It's a massive problem in Newcastle and we continue to have poor administrators electing to create a draw that ultimately negates Saturday senior football (RL) in inner city Newcastle. The coalfield clubs all play Saturday home games and are enjoying popularity within their community and players. This is not the case with the three remaining inner city clubs of Newcastle.

Last edited:

Teddyboy

First Grade
Unfortunately the code(RL) is losing its local and social relevance. Plenty of rugby league juniors are going straight to the more socially relevant and user friendly rugby union clubs as they play on Saturdays. Thats what's happening. The club I'm with has just erred in scheduling its first home game (sponsors day)on a Sunday and I've emailed my concern to the secretary. Hopefully he will see fit get it changed to a Saturday. I mentioned that the sponsors wont be drinking at the Leagues club afterwards and nor will fans and players. Most people are thinking of work approaching on the Monday!
So saying if you play social Rugby League in Newcastle you watch Rugby League on a Friday and Saturday and play on a Sunday.
What grass roots comp play on a Saturday as if I was the NRL I be wanting grassroots games played when the NRL games are not on.

Stallion

First Grade
So saying if you play social Rugby League in Newcastle you watch Rugby League on a Friday and Saturday and play on a Sunday.
What grass roots comp play on a Saturday as if I was the NRL I be wanting grassroots games played when the NRL games are not on.

It's not as simple as that. We have a suburban/pub competition that is mostly playing on Saturdays and is thriving like the local rugby union competition that also plays on Saturdays. It is basically three inner city district rugby league clubs that are neglecting the code. Sadly it's reflected in ever decreasing junior numbers and local relevance as each year goes on. They basically have not articulated that the constant Sunday home games detract from the social relevance and attraction of the code to locals and aspiring young footballers. These inner city clubs have lost the plot and are still losing the plot! My angle is that all senior local rugby-league be played on a Saturday for social relevance , player welfare and retention of juniors.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
With the way NRL fixtures are these days it really wouldn't matter what day Jnr RL was on! Take Newcastle, last season the Knights played games pn
Friday night x2
Saturday x6
Sunday x4

So in effect Sunday RL meant were more likely to be able to go to a Knights game.

Except that the Saturday local league would be finished by 5pm and the NRL is at 7.30pm meaning the local league players would have plenty of time to get their family to the game.

Whereas the Sunday local league game is in direct competition with the NRL time slot.

Emu01

Juniors
With the success of Brad Fittlers motorcycle ride through the country areas of NSW promoting the game and encouraging kids to play the game.

I was thinking that Fittler, Menzies etc could do a Sydney tour starting at Penrith take about 5000 footballs some show bags and roll into the local park on their motorcycle or shopping centre have all the local junior league clubs there and have registration for kids that turn up.

Let the local newspaper know in advance as to build momentum in the preceding days..

I know the st George area could do with some help promoting junior league.

Emu01

Juniors
With the success of Brad Fittlers motorcycle ride through the country areas of NSW promoting the game and encouraging kids to play the game.

I was thinking that Fittler, Menzies etc could do a Sydney tour starting at Penrith take about 5000 footballs some show bags and roll into the local park on their motorcycle or shopping centre have all the local junior league clubs there and have registration for kids that turn up.

Let the local newspaper know in advance as to build momentum in the preceding days..

I know the st George area could do with some help promoting junior league.

I sent the NSWRL an email with this idea. Let’s see if they are more proactive than the Nrl who only try and defend themselves when replying to emails with suggestions.

Stallion

First Grade
Noticed whilst teaching at a local public primary school permission notes being handed in for a rugby union clinic sometime soon. I haven't seen any rugby league activity yet?!

Junior league competitions platy games based on a number of factors. Firstly, ground availability. Many of the fields used are not exclusive to rugby league clubs, so you can only play when the ground is available. Second factor, is how many teams and how many grades a club is fielding in the competition. Some clubs might be only small and as such only have teams entered in 4-5 grades, whereas you will have bigger clubs who will have teams in all grades from under 7s through to A grade with some having multiple teams in the same grade.

Hence Parramatta Juniors usually have U/7s - Under 15s on Saturdays, with Under 16s - A Grade on Sundays. I know some grounds on Saturdays have games running from 8.00 am till 9.00 pm on the same day due to the number of games to be played.

Emu01

Juniors
I sent the NSWRL an email with this idea. Let’s see if they are more proactive than the Nrl who only try and defend themselves when replying to emails with suggestions.

So I got a reply from nswrl regarding a Sydney style Hogs for homeless junior rugby league tour of Sydney.

They said. “Thank you for your idea you obviously put a great deal of thought into this”. “ But this tour is just strictly for country areas of NSW” “We won’t be doing a Sydney style tour thank you for your idea”.”This tour takes a great deal of planning a year in advance”.

So they basically said thanks but no thanks. .

How hard would it be to organise a Rugby League tour of Sydney’s Rugby League heartland and give away footballs encouraging kids to play the game.

They don’t want to even consider the idea of promoting the game in Sydney.

Stallion

First Grade
Junior league competitions platy games based on a number of factors. Firstly, ground availability. Many of the fields used are not exclusive to rugby league clubs, so you can only play when the ground is available. Second factor, is how many teams and how many grades a club is fielding in the competition. Some clubs might be only small and as such only have teams entered in 4-5 grades, whereas you will have bigger clubs who will have teams in all grades from under 7s through to A grade with some having multiple teams in the same grade.

Hence Parramatta Juniors usually have U/7s - Under 15s on Saturdays, with Under 16s - A Grade on Sundays. I know some grounds on Saturdays have games running from 8.00 am till 9.00 pm on the same day due to the number of games to be played.

The mistake is in your detail! The all age /adult mens game can be played on the Saturday. The other junior games are fine for Sunday. The jewel in the crown is having the mens game or games on a Saturday. Even if it means another junior game changed to a Sunday then so be it! It's crucial to have the young men enjoy their Saturday night as well as have Sunday for recovery.

The mistake is in your detail! The all age /adult mens game can be played on the Saturday. The other junior games are fine for Sunday. The jewel in the crown is having the mens game or games on a Saturday. Even if it means another junior game changed to a Sunday then so be it! It's crucial to have the young men enjoy their Saturday night as well as have Sunday for recovery.

Get real mate. The adult comps are for the players who like their footy, but either weren't good enough to be graded, or enjoyed the social side of things too much and didn't want the strict discipline that comes with being a professional rugby league player. Hence the kids grades are the important ones as that is where the next generation of NRL players is going to come from, not the local A grade competition.

Also my mistake is not in the detail as I outlined what in fact has happened for about the last 25 odd years in the Parramatta District Junior Rugby League. There are some A grade games played on Saturday nights, but again, that depends on ground availability more often than not.

Changing the men's game to Saturday's so they can go out and get pissed? Please, get a grip :eek:

Stallion

First Grade
Get real mate. The adult comps are for the players who like their footy, but either weren't good enough to be graded, or enjoyed the social side of things too much and didn't want the strict discipline that comes with being a professional rugby league player. Hence the kids grades are the important ones as that is where the next generation of NRL players is going to come from, not the local A grade competition.

Also my mistake is not in the detail as I outlined what in fact has happened for about the last 25 odd years in the Parramatta District Junior Rugby League. There are some A grade games played on Saturday nights, but again, that depends on ground availability more often than not.

Changing the men's game to Saturday's so they can go out and get pissed? Please, get a grip :eek:

So you would rather impact against the social life and relevance of the football! Yes. I see you are one of the idiots advocating senior football on a Sunday when you know that senior rugby league players deserve a Sunday for recovery. So now we see the poor administrator coming out? Your logic is killing the code! The flow on of juniors is being impeded by making senior rugby league socially unattractive through playing on Sundays and you advocate this. And furthermore the recovery of these senior players is compromised by your stance . Plus the free kick you are giving other codes like union. Shame on you. It's time for you to get real! You are damaging the code within its own community!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Had a class participate in the rugby union clinic today. Basically this development officer does 45 minutes of ball drills . He wears a NSW Waratahs top and shorts and asks them if they know about the Waratahs? He does mostly ball drills similar to that done for rugby league. I chatted to him and informed that I was an ex footballer and played union and league at high school. He lamented the fact he wasn't able to play rugby league at the private school he attended . The clinic goes for 5 weeks . Most of the primary school classes attended this clinic throughout the day in a rostered time frame . Think it's a school active sports funded activity? Wonder if rugby league will be sighted at this school? A very working class area, Mayfield West public. Even Leaguetag would be of great benefit!

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
So Beattie considers Qld and NSW Cup grassroots

Glad that most of the 17 players will by NRL contracted players

Perth Red

Post Whore
So Beattie considers Qld and NSW Cup grassroots

Glad that most of the 17 players will by NRL contracted players

Nothing new there, pretty much every $ of so called grass roots increased funding in last three years has flowed to those two elite competitions.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Nothing new there, pretty much every $ of so called grass roots increased funding in last three years has flowed to those two elite competitions.

Doesn’t the Nrl give the “grassroots” funding to the associated leagues (qrl, nswrl, Warl etc)? Would it not then be the state leagues that are not passing the funds onto grassroots? Should the Nrl dictate to the states where they have to spend it?

I do agree with you in that the true grassroots haven’t seemed to get funds but I also don’t think the nrl has a place to tell the states where to put it. Maybe the states need kpi to make sure the true grassroot areas are being looked after