What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grassroots ( junior league) keeping Nrl accountable!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Doesn’t the Nrl give the “grassroots” funding to the associated leagues (qrl, nswrl, Warl etc)? Would it not then be the state leagues that are not passing the funds onto grassroots? Should the Nrl dictate to the states where they have to spend it?

I do agree with you in that the true grassroots haven’t seemed to get funds but I also don’t think the nrl has a place to tell the states where to put it. Maybe the states need kpi to make sure the true grassroot areas are being looked after

No it doesn't, not in the case of these comps. They directly increased significant funding to each club in both comps a couple of years ago. Might have been through the state bodies but the funding was explicitly for the elite comps. clubs. It makes up the bulk of the increase in NRL "grass roots" funding over last three years. There was an agreement struck in 2014 to the two State "platinum" comps for significantly increased funding.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
No it doesn't, not in the case of these comps. They directly increased significant funding to each club in both comps a couple of years ago. Might have been through the state bodies but the funding was explicitly for the elite comps. clubs. It makes up the bulk of the increase in NRL "grass roots" funding over last three years. There was an agreement struck in 2014 to the two State "platinum" comps for significantly increased funding.

I thought that the platinum leagues was the brain child of Richardson. They have dropped the funding level of 20’s to clubs and increased the spending to state comps. Either way i couldn’t be arsed looking into it so I’ll take your word for it. I just hope the grassroots funding actually gets there this time around.

siv

First Grade
$250k plus $50k salary cap for 25 u20 players costs just diverted to 5 extra NRL players plus 6 development players

NSW Cup and QLD Cup teams were lumped with the extra costs

Did the grants to NSW and QLD Cups go up this year ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
$250k plus $50k salary cap for 25 u20 players costs just diverted to 5 extra NRL players plus 6 development players

NSW Cup and QLD Cup teams were lumped with the extra costs

Did the grants to NSW and QLD Cups go up this year ?

there was a three year agreement starting in 2014 to increase funding to nsw and Q’land cup, not sure what the deal is 2018 onwards,

papabear

Juniors
Anybody having trouble using the NSW government $100 voucher, I keep getting invalid id when I try and sign up my kid.

I actually think there is a heap of potential upside in north sydney JRL because more and more people moving in are from Asia / Western Europe less of the old school rugby union brigade. One of my boys mates is from germany and we asked them if they wanted to sign up their kid, hes a big boy, they were all about their kid joining learning to play "rugby". Oddly enough, I think there is a lot of potential to sign up asian kids, its a good simple sport to learn, and kids making better friends from league then any other game on the NS because there isnt grading in teams or anything like that.

Although at my kids school the rl people forgot to show up on the try sports day, though next year someone a bit more reliable is going to come. That said if the NRL had a DO getting them to do an email out to parents I reckon you could easily triple the number of kids playing at each club (just by pushing through schools).

What will be funny, is if perth keeps on going the way it is, they will have more new kids playing rugby league then NSW or QLD.

papabear

Juniors
I dont think using your foot in touch or not using it is the biggest deal, alot of NRL clubs are pretty slective with this rule and the super league seem to think its optional.

Even using your foot, you are still going to play for fast play the balls and to out fitness a team playing touch.

Stallion

First Grade
No decent coverage of rugby league's Commonwealth Games nines tournament . Lost in the midst of a testimonial night and Charity shield?Dissappointing. Hope the players enjoy it ! Their has been minimal publicity for this significant event for the code as far as credibility is concerned. Shame on rugby league not giving it some decent air time!

Stallion

First Grade
The virtually media shunned innaugural Commonwealth nines championship seen Australia mens defeat Tonga 14-8. Not sure about the womens but the Aussies may have beaten the Cook Islands? Hopefully the code has the nines as an established part of the main Commonwealth games in future years. This gains rugby league much needed International credibility. God knows we struggle at that for various reasons.

Emu01

Juniors
Penrith district junior Rugby league introduced girls rugby league competitions this season and have had a huge response with 68 girls teams nominated so far almost 1000 girls in total now playing Rugby league.In some age groups they have 2 divisions of teams..

Fantastic effort by Penrith for showing the way with the Women’s/girls Rugby League comps. I wonder how the other clubs are going with the women’s comps?

Emu01

Juniors
The women’s/girls Rugby league has potential to build junior numbers massively 70 extra junior teams in the Penrith district alone is outstanding !Any wonder the Nrl has pushed so hard to grow the woman’s game.

Would like to see numbers for other nrl clubs.

Emu01

Juniors
I just read that Arncliffe Scotts have fielded the first under 16’s women’s team in the St George district. Great effort hopefully more teams to follow and start the women’s league in the St George area.

Apparently junior numbers are up on last season in NSW good news if true.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rockingham sharks have filled all their teams and are directing registrations to mandurah dolphins and Kwinana wolves.

And here’s a shot of rugby league posts going up at the new home of Dallyellup Rhinos jnr RL club, first ever RL pitch in the Capel shire!
A4617D8A-9CBE-484A-B20A-4D08534811CC.jpeg

Another positive sign of junior growth inWA.

Emu01

Juniors
Rockingham sharks have filled all their teams and are directing registrations to mandurah dolphins and Kwinana wolves.

And here’s a shot of rugby league posts going up at the new home of Dallyellup Rhinos jnr RL club, first ever RL pitch in the Capel shire!
View attachment 18769

Another positive sign of junior growth inWA.

I wonder if the demise of the western force is the reason League numbers are up over in the west PR?

Perth Red

Post Whore
No, I don’t believe so as RL is still in no better position than RU in terms of pathways to the top and aspirations of kids to make the big time. Until we have an nrl team we won’t have the edge over union in that regard.

It’s a very simple formula really, more money in equals more kids out. In the SW they got a DO for the first time ever and surprise surprise the game is growing down their with 5 new jnr clubs starting up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good news for the game in Victoria

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg believes a $12 million pledge from the Victorian Government for a new Victorian Rugby League State Centre was a huge boost for the code in the state.

The Andrews Labor Government in Victoria has announced plans for the facility, which will be delivered in partnership with the NRL, NRL Victoria and the Melbourne Storm.

The proposed new Victorian Rugby League State Centre in Broadmeadows will be home to training camps, state level matches and tournaments, and is likely to host more than 10,000 players per year.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/13...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=NetworkContent

taipan

Referee

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg believes a $12 million pledge from the Victorian Government for a new Victorian Rugby League State Centre was a huge boost for the code in the state.

The Andrews Labor Government in Victoria has announced plans for the facility, which will be delivered in partnership with the NRL, NRL Victoria and the Melbourne Storm.

The proposed new Victorian Rugby League State Centre in Broadmeadows will be home to training camps, state level matches and tournaments, and is likely to host more than 10,000 players per year.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/13...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=NetworkContent

Bloody useless Greenberg.He should have secured at least double the figure.Wouldn't accept anything less than $50m Oh wait!!!!

Stallion

First Grade

All good. It's something tangible! Wonder if the underlying and growing rugby league friendly sport of Leaguetag will gain offical PSSA recognition and enable primary school kids to represent and enjoy a very rugby league like experience? This, out of any sport, has the potential to capture the imagination of young kids and the support of parents than any other development officialdom move has to offer. It's a must do but is it being lobbied or pursued by rugby league development people?

cleary89

Coach
Como's new clubhouse unveiled a couple of weeks ago. Greenburg was there along with a few politicians.

Latest posts