What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest Defensive Display of all time? *spoilers*

Canard

Immortal
The Origin that Langer broke his leg, and QLD defended with 12 men for a large chunk of the second half makes this seem like croquet.

Not that I expect the OP to have heard of Allan Langer

insert.pause

First Grade
It was good, but it shouldn't have been needed, the Broncos should have run up a score on Melbourne had they had any punch up front or line speed in defense, just made it really difficult for themselves by conceding 70m each set Melbourne had the ball, giving them a shot on their line each time.

Parra

Referee
Eels Bulldogs 4-2 GF in 1986.

Look at the line-ups and work out how any team could stop these teams from scoring.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Also foot for thought, our defensive coach is Stephen Kearney.

wot?

vbcjGnT.png

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade
Broncos can't afford to keep playing that way and conceding so many line drop outs, they did the same thing against NQ earlier this year and the Cowboys had too many points in them to keep out. Broncos front row just isn't strong enough against the better sides who won't give up the ball or concede penalties and will just have Brisbane back-pedalling in defence and struggling to get out of their end. They have to sort it out quick.

Ibleedblue

Juniors
662937-scott-sattler-todd-byrne.jpg

Greatest defensive display of all time, I reckon.

I find this effort from Albert a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4N1FYpEhy4

Byrne was stumbling along and was ankle tapped by Lewis and Sattler had him covered, Byrne also wasn't known for speed. Seers on the other hand was a speed machine and looked like he would score for all money till Albert came from nowhere and saved the day. Without that tackle Newcastle might not have even made the Grand Final where Albert pulled of the last minute try.

Jason Maher

Immortal
If we can get past the OP being a complete douche, it was a pretty damned good defensive effort. The number of times they pulled down a charging Bromwich half a metre out was a good demonstration just how determined the donkeys were to keep their line intact today.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Another nomination that should please the OP: New South Wales in game 1 last year. Both Morris brothers brilliant individual efforts while injured obviously stand out, but Queensland were virtually camped on our line for the last 20 minutes of the game and we refused to let them through. No way any of the NSW teams that lost 8 in a row would have stood up under that pressure.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
If we can get past the OP being a complete douche, it was a pretty damned good defensive effort. The number of times they pulled down a charging Bromwich half a metre out was a good demonstration just how determined the donkeys were to keep their line intact today.

:lol::lol::lol: The first few posts were nothing but me copping blows from the backseats and when I reply in kind, I'M the douche.