What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest ever and your favourite St George Illawarra Dragons player

boxa777

Coach
Greatest Player that I have seen would be Mackay

Favourite would be Ricky Walford, closely followed by Tingha.

RedVDave

First Grade
Past: Shaun 'Timmo' Timmins / Luke 'Bails' Bailey
Present: Ben Creagh / Jamie Soward / Jason Nightingale
Future: Jeremy Smith*

(Yes am I stealing this idea off the current Red V member ad's) :cool:

TinghaExpress

Juniors
Lance Thompson hands down...

This bloke would of died for the Dragons...

i remember hearing once that he actually said that to the team doctors when he went on the field with internal injuries...

True story... dont ask for a source...:D

Yeah that was the melbourne week 1 semi-final back in 1999....It was in the paper a couple of years back, legend has it that he was coughing up blood at half time after copping a knock to the kidneys...The doctor and medical staff at the time told him if you take to the field in the second half you could die. Apparently Thommo stood up and simply replied "I would die for St.George" and ran out and played in the second half....

great story and imo he is the only player of the modern day that really truely loved the club he was playing for with a passion...fancy our club showing him the door...

big pat

Coach
i'm with boxa, blacklock and walford were excitement machines, for sheer guts thommo and mackay.

Tanner Ave

Juniors
Past : Blacklock, what a freak.

Current: Have to be Hornby because he could have been a freaken superstar at fullback, but put the team first time and time again to be what ever was required. Also Gaz when on his game was untouchable and amazing to watch.

gregstar

Referee
past players - morris / o'connor / noke / jarvis

past merger players - blacklock / mundine / timmins

current - cooper / creagh

SEAT 1A

Bench
Everyone has there own favourites and fair enough.

For mine I look to a bloke who has class, skill, longevity, toughness, heart, is a matchwinner and a matchsaver, goes about his job with no fuss and no fanfare, has pride in his performance and the jersey he wears - and is a one Club man.

Matt Cooper is the man, and the greatest this decade for the Saints - for the above reasons.

Well said Smithtown.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Yeah that was the melbourne week 1 semi-final back in 1999....It was in the paper a couple of years back, legend has it that he was coughing up blood at half time after copping a knock to the kidneys...The doctor and medical staff at the time told him if you take to the field in the second half you could die. Apparently Thommo stood up and simply replied "I would die for St.George" and ran out and played in the second half....

great story and imo he is the only player of the modern day that really truely loved the club he was playing for with a passion...fancy our club showing him the door...

Didn't know that Tingha. If that's the case he is a champion, and a bit strange the club gave him the boot.

Calixte

First Grade
From the historical perspective, the greatest ever would be reduced to a choice of three I would think.

(Reg) Gasnier, Langlands or Raper.

Calixte

First Grade
While some might suggest Sticks, I think he would concede the other three were out in front of him.

SEAT 1A

Bench
My all time fav player is Wayne Batrim.

His try in the 96 semi against CBR was the best try I have seen. By memory, he started his run from outside the CBR 20 meter line, ran through about 5 CBR players and scored the match winning try.

Very sweet, as I was sitting next to a CBR supporter who was giving it to me all game.