What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green V. Mundine *Live*

Cletus

First Grade
juggalo_strit said:
Mundine absolutely dominated.
The judges scores were ridiculously, i don't know how they scored the fight so closely.

I've gained alot of respect for Mundine tonight, but i wasn't impressed with him talking to his mates during the National Anthem.

Go Choc!!!!

Couldn't agree more. Mundine is a boxer, Green is a puncher. Whenever Green missed I'd hear cheers, whenever Mundine hit Green I'd hear silence. It's pretty obvious peoples hatred of Choc clouded their judgement about the outcome of this fight, Mundine was clearly the better boxer. Green was a zombie.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Mundine really is THE MAN!!!

Totally outclassed Green. Good on him!

And I reckon he's improved a lot since he last met Kessler. I wouldn't be surprised to see Choc give him a run for his money.

BAY72

Juniors
bitterly disapointed in Greens preperation. Once again Mundine ran from a boxing match and Green should have expected it!

By round 6 he should have changed tactics.
I really wanted to see "The Mouth" eat canvas to night, but his cheep shots got him over the line once again.

it just goes to show Mundine is a Boxer and Green is a fighter. and the points go to the Boxer.

Pensacola Q.C

Juniors
:? Didn't think Green was that bad! But yeah credit where its due Mundine was better than I'd ever seen him. What was impressive was his strategy - he was obviously in superb condition and able to absorb body shots with relative ease while countering to Greens head at will! That overhand right!:shock: I couldn't even see it it was that fast!

But Mundine seems to have tried to copy Roy Jones jnr's style...not sure if its Roy snr's influence but there was alot of Roy in Mundine's performance tonight. In saying that I'm still not convinced. He could have really gone to town on Green in the latter rounds but was very conservative. He's still gun shy!! I think he could probably take Lacy and Beyer but will still find it hard to beat Kessler and have next to no chance against Calzaghe.

Green doesn't deserve a rematch. I feel sorry for him because he obviously tried hard and showed plenty of heart and toughness....but he just does not have great boxing skills.

Pensacola Q.C

Juniors
BAY72 said:
bitterly disapointed in Greens preperation. Once again Mundine ran from a boxing match and Green should have expected it!

By round 6 he should have changed tactics.
I really wanted to see "The Mouth" eat canvas to night, but his cheep shots got him over the line once again.

it just goes to show Mundine is a Boxer and Green is a fighter. and the points go to the Boxer.

No Mundine is a better fighter than Green. Deal with it like everyone else has.

Eelementary

Post Whore
We all know Mundine is arrogant, right?

Maybe he kept quiet later in the bout in order not to overplay his hand and give Kessler too much of an idea that he's improved that much.

I think it's funny how people's hate clouds their judgement - Green wasn't bad. He was just outboxed by a faster, smarter and ultimately cockier boxer.

simostorm

Bench
Man! What a fight, good build up, awesome atmosphere
Go Mundine! I loved seeing every bit of that fight, great stuff.
You could see, David Gallop in the crowd, Phil Gould, Jason Stevens,
Lance Thompson, Ken Suctcliff, a few AFL boys too, but no one here would probally know them.

Risky_6

Juniors
For all you Mundine haters... honestly go have a cry.

The teacher took the student to school tonight, absolutely humiliated him, so i suggest to all the Green lovers out there.... May 17 commeth the man...bow down to the black superman.

for all who hate choc, along with your necks... your faces are red.

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
simostorm said:
You could see, David Gallop in the crowd, Phil Gould, Jason Stevens,
Lance Thompson, Ken Suctcliff, a few AFL boys too, but no one here would probally know them.
Long live Gus Gould!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OVP

Coach
Eelementary said:
We all know Mundine is arrogant, right?

Maybe he kept quiet later in the bout in order not to overplay his hand and give Kessler too much of an idea that he's improved that much.

I think it's funny how people's hate clouds their judgement - Green wasn't bad. He was just outboxed by a faster, smarter and ultimately cockier boxer.

Actually i reckon Green is by far the more arrogant. He made his name by constantly deriding Mundine for 6 years. The only thing i was disappointed in is that Mundine didnt knock the leech out cold.

Pensacola Q.C

Juniors
OVP said:
Actually i reckon Green is by far the more arrogant. He made his name by constantly deriding Mundine for 6 years. The only thing i was disappointed in is that Mundine didnt knock the leech out cold.

We put up with Mundine's crap because he does it to self-promote...well what Green has been doing was no different. Good luck to him, it worked from a business standpoint and he walks away with somewhere near 2 million dollars.

Does anyone think there is any way back to the top for Green? If so what does he need to do?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I love The Man. I think he's a very gifted and intelligent fighter, and his antics always entertain me.

He's got a big mouth, true. But a lot of the time he says things a lot of people are already thinking anyway.

I was so pleased to see him win - and how he won.

meltiger

First Grade
John_Travolta said:
WHAT A TRUE AUSTRALIAN SPORTSMEN......... NOT YOU f**kEN COCKSMOKER MUNDINE!!

Yet after 3 years of being sla.gged off by the other camp at the end of the day ... Mundine's still the man.

Go Choc.

It's ignorant f**kers like you Travolta that chased him out of Rugby League.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Pensacola Q.C said:
We put up with Mundine's crap because he does it to self-promote...well what Green has been doing was no different. Good luck to him, it worked from a business standpoint and he walks away with somewhere near 2 million dollars.

Does anyone think there is any way back to the top for Green? If so what does he need to do?

change weight divisions,

I cant see him getting past Mundine with 12 round of body punches

perhaps if he had a different game plan, but we'll never know for sure

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Greens game plant to attack the body just didn't work.

Normaly that will work early in the fight tp wear your opponent down and the guard drops and they go for the knock out blow in the last few rounds.

Green was still thowing body punches in Round 12, which I could not see any point in doing, because he was never going to win on points in the last round.

Green has won 20 of his 22 by knock out and shouldn't have changed the way he normaly fights imo, hindsight is 20/20.

Mundine landed alot of scoring punches on Green but never looked like knockng him out, and that would be a worry when fighting Kessler.

curry.

Juniors
poor green his preperation just wasnt there and mundine kept running away.

in the rmatch he will get his revenge dont worry, we can only hope.....

lockyno1

Post Whore
curry. said:
poor green his preperation just wasnt there and mundine kept running away.

in the rmatch he will get his revenge dont worry, we can only hope.....

On last nights showing he has NO CHANCE of beating Mundine on points. I hate Mundine as much as the next bloke but lets be frank there is only one way Green could win and thats to knock Mundine out! Green is dead average and lucky the scores weren't a bit further out!

bender

Juniors
Twizzle said:
Greens game plant to attack the body just didn't work.

Normaly that will work early in the fight tp wear your opponent down and the guard drops and they go for the knock out blow in the last few rounds.

Green was still thowing body punches in Round 12, which I could not see any point in doing, because he was never going to win on points in the last round.

Green has won 20 of his 22 by knock out and shouldn't have changed the way he normaly fights imo, hindsight is 20/20.

Mundine landed alot of scoring punches on Green but never looked like knockng him out, and that would be a worry when fighting Kessler.

He continued to throw body punches, because that was the only punch he could land. Danny Green fought very well, it is just that Mundine was too fast. The Mundine jab was awesome. A rematch wouldnt necessarilly go down the same way, but it is clear that Danny Green would need to land early and slow Mundine down if he were to have any chance.

The other thing that hurt Greens chances was the referee keeping the clinches so controlled and clean. Green probably needed to try to fight a little dirty and in close, during those later rounds when he was hurt and couldnt land. To his credit though, he kept it clean to the end and took defeat like a champion. Definitely a credit to the sport on tonights showing.

Mundine, (as are both boxers) is definitely World Class and has a great chance to beat Larson and maybe even unify provided that he keeps his head and keeps training. Still, the way he keeps his hands so low when he is confident is worrying and I couldnt believe the first round where I thought he was going to use the rope a dope strategy. Hopefully Mundine goes on and has a long stretch as World Champion. If he does, Mundine Green II, Mundine Soliman II and even Mundine Briggs are potential massive local fights which would be great for boxing in australia.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Pensacola Q.C said:
But Mundine seems to have tried to copy Roy Jones jnr's style...not sure if its Roy snr's influence but there was alot of Roy in Mundine's performance tonight. In saying that I'm still not convinced. He could have really gone to town on Green in the latter rounds but was very conservative. He's still gun shy!!

Mundine did exactly tthe right thing. He fully knew he was in control of the fight by the late rounds, and that by continuing to stay outside and work Green with scoring punches he could guarrantee himself victory. Going in for the knockout would simply have given Green tthe one opportunity he could have had to win by exposing himself to Green's bombs. At the end of the day it's about winning.

taxidriver

Coach
Mundine paid full respect to Green after the fight and I'm sure there was even a very quick embrace.

All you Mundine haters claiming he refused to shake hands are full of sh*t.