What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenberg wants 2nd Melb team

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Hell, people in RL circles said much the same about Melbourne *1* circa 1990. Why on earth were we taking Origin and Test matches there when we never had a hope of establishing a permanent presence in the shadow of the AFL? Just look at the Swans and the Bears, basket cases! Yes, it costs lots of money, it takes a long time and it looks pretty ugly in the stands and on paper for a good few years,. But it can be done - virtually anywhere (Toronto anyone?) we want to go and are prepared to commit for the long haul.

Leigh.

Good point! If Toronto can have a team and North America can host the world cup then you can be sure that at some stage in the future a committed NRL could make Melbourne 2 work. The storm's average attendances have grown steadily over their first 20 years and given another decade, packing out AAMI stadium regularly is very achievable for them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
BTW, crowds are massively overrated on this forum, they're nice to have but they really aren't that important anymore, you can have clubs that draw basically no one through the gate but still makes heaps of profit and is sustainable...

That’s only the case because they are so low generally. Even at the low rate of nrl attendance, merch memberships and gate receipts still make up around 20-30% of revenue.

The big afl clubs make $25mill plus a year from their fanbases. Hardly chump change!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Good point! If Toronto can have a team and North America can host the world cup then you can be sure that at some stage in the future a committed NRL could make Melbourne 2 work. The storm's average attendances have grown steadily over their first 20 years and given another decade, packing out AAMI stadium regularly is very achievable for them.
Storm yes, Melbourne 2 no chance.

mongoose

Coach
It really doesn't matter whether or not the people of Melbourne have an interest in RL or if they're crying out for a club in large numbers, the only thing that would matter is if the club would make enough money to cover the NRL's investment into the club and more, and it almost certainly would more then that investment just in the added value to the broadcasting rights.

So even if the NRL is putting (e.g.) $20mil into the club each year on top of the grants, if the club's adding (e.g.) $40mil to the broadcasting rights then the NRL and the sport is still making money on the club and can use them to grow the sport in Melbourne (just like GWS, the Suns, Lions, and Swans in the AFL).

BTW, crowds are massively overrated on this forum, they're nice to have but they really aren't that important anymore, you can have clubs that draw basically no one through the gate but still makes heaps of profit and is sustainable...

if the crowds become too low then people will start turning off the TV's though. There needs to be a balance for a game made for TV and one that's crowd friendly.

Not sure how a second NRL team would work in Melbourne. I think it would be a relocated sydney team and they would have to be very desperate to move out of sydney.

Reactions: Vee

Stallion

First Grade
if the crowds become too low then people will start turning off the TV's though. There needs to be a balance for a game made for TV and one that's crowd friendly.

Not sure how a second NRL team would work in Melbourne. I think it would be a relocated sydney team and they would have to be very desperate to move out of sydney.

From my travels to Melbourne their appears to be a groundswell support for rugby league in their industrial suburbs. I would surmise that the Melbourne Storm would harness the city dweller support and another top flight club further out in the burbs may be a worthwhile future code aim . A decent rectangular venue in suburban outskirts of Melbourne may be warranted? Forget the relocation/dilution bullshit!

Pommy

Coach
From my travels to Melbourne their appears to be a groundswell support for rugby league in their industrial suburbs. I would surmise that the Melbourne Storm would harness the city dweller support and another top flight club further out in the burbs may be a worthwhile future code aim . A decent rectangular venue in suburban outskirts of Melbourne may be warranted? Forget the relocation/dilution bullshit!

It worked out so bad for South Melbourne and the AFL.

Stallion

First Grade
It worked out so bad for South Melbourne and the AFL.

Do the maths Pommy! The only possible scenario would be the re emergence of the hibernating Bears if that's what rocks your boat? The Melbourne Bears? Otherwise enabling this large population area a local derby rivalry is potentially a good move for the code with another Melbourne club representing the outer suburbs. To digress a little , laughingly/embarassingly a city like Brisbane is still yet to cement another top flight club which is to this day amazingly dissappointing.

Pommy

Coach
Do the maths Pommy! The only possible scenario would be the re emergence of the hibernating Bears if that's what rocks your boat? The Melbourne Bears? Otherwise enabling this large population area a local derby rivalry is potentially a good move for the code with another Melbourne club representing the outer suburbs. To digress a little , laughingly/embarassingly a city like Brisbane is still yet to cement another top flight club which is to this day amazingly dissappointing.

The only possible scenario is the bears?
You could relocate any two Sydney sides to Melbourne and Brisbane and still have Sydney covered with what’s left.

Stallion

First Grade
The only possible scenario is the bears?
You could relocate any two Sydney sides to Melbourne and Brisbane and still have Sydney covered with what’s left.

What and destroy established fan bases. The only prudent move would be to reinvigorate a lost fan base such as the Bears . Not once again dilute or implode the code in Sydney! Otherwise for Melbourne2 give them another top flight club in their own right and identity. You don't kill the game in Sydney(Australias largest populated city by a million people) and expect it to grow well elsewhere? Implosion and dilution does not work!

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
What and destroy established fan bases. The only prudent move would be to reinvigorate a lost fan base such as the Bears . Not once again dilute or implode the code in Sydney! Otherwise for Melbourne2 give them another top flight club in their own right and identity. You don't kill the game in Sydney(Australias largest populated city by a million people) and expect it to grow well elsewhere? Implosion and dilution does not work!

I again point you to south Melbourne. Are you claiming implosion and dilution hasn’t worked for them or the AFL?

Stallion

First Grade
I again point you to south Melbourne. Are you claiming implosion and dilution hasn’t worked for them or the AFL?

Different scenario. And it took that code decades to gain genuine fans. I might add they are distinctly known as the SWANS in Sydney . MELBOURNE STORM have provided a successful blueprint. Get the dilution thinking out of your mind and genuine growth / progress will be achieved without hurting the code. Once again I reiterate the lost BEARS fans are the only tangible idea remotely feasible with your suggestion. (Maybe another?)They are down and out. You don't predicate on clubs with existing and well known fan bases in Australias largest city. That's just adding fuel to destroying the code in its origins . Enough damage has already been done! Another alternative would be the Melbourne Magpies? That's a Sydney based club that has lost its identity in the top flight! I'm all for rectifying the damage thats been done to the code via poor administration. Further damage is not wise!

Pommy

Coach
Different scenario. And it took that code decades to gain genuine fans. I might add they are distinctly known as the SWANS in Sydney . MELBOURNE STORM have provided a successful blueprint. Get the dilution thinking out of your mind and genuine growth / progress will be achieved without hurting the code. Once again I reiterate the lost BEARS fans are the only tangible idea remotely feasible with your suggestion. (Maybe another?)They are down and out. You don't predicate on clubs with existing and well known fan bases in Australias largest city. That's just adding fuel to destroying the code in its origins . Enough damage has already been done! Another alternative would be the Melbourne Magpies? That's a Sydney based club that has lost its identity in the top flight! I'm all for rectifying the damage thats been done to the code via poor administration. Further damage is not wise!

I know plenty that cal them south Melbourne and they also have SMFC on the back of their vest. But I only live in Sydney, what would I know?
I’m not going to get relocation out of my head as it’s obvious that at some point it is going to be inevitable.
The codes origins aren’t in Sydney.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Nobody cares about GWS in Sydney. A 2nd NRL team in Melbourne would be even worse.
Ten times worse. The difference is that it would also erode the Storm. Look what happened in soccer. All of Melbourne and especially the soccer community were united begin Victory. Heart/City came in 20% of Victory fans moved over and the result is that there are now less people following both clubs combined than used to follow Victory. The best thing Storm have going for them here is that they are the only club all Melbournians can unite to follow (Rebel have no market presence whatsoever). A second Melbourne club would destroy the commons bond that unites all ex-pats fro. NSW, Qld, NZ, UK that make up most of the Storm’s hardcore fan base. Pass.

Stallion

First Grade
I know plenty that cal them south Melbourne and they also have SMFC on the back of their vest. But I only live in Sydney, what would I know?
I’m not going to get relocation out of my head as it’s obvious that at some point it is going to be inevitable.
The codes origins aren’t in Sydney.

Shoul have spelt it out for you! The NRL COMPETITIONS origins are based in Sydney! And your implosion logic is disturbing. Don't think you appreciate history, culture, local rivalries and good business! Si you keep going on your ignorant stance and I'll stick with genuine feel and respect for whats has worked for so many years. The Sydney club rivalries which many Aussies relate to and respect all over Australia and elsewhere. Things like that are and should not be frivously discarded like you propose. We differ big time!

Pommy

Coach
The point is it doesn’t work and it isn’t good buisness.
Clubs don’t make a profit and attendances are awful.

IMO NZ is down the pecking order, even after Adelaide.Once you have all mainland capitals bedded down and gain the revenue of a truly national comp,then go to the land of the Long White Whatsys.

Why?

NZ offers a natural talent pool that none of the AFL states can match. If we’re going to expand we need more players to keep the quality of the competition up.

Pommy

Coach
Thanks to the Super League War

I think there’s more to it than that.
I feel the posh eastern suburbs, north Sydney types have more likely decided they don’t want their children being hurt playing a full contact sport. It’s not like union is thriving in its upper class demographic either is it?